Nova Feature Request - Mid/Side Per Band

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
KVRist
51 posts since 22 Aug, 2008

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:46 pm

Hi,

I've been using Nova GE a lot recently and it's an excellent plug-in. I like to use on the mixbus for tasks like compressing the Mid Low End and expanding the Side High End. At the moment I have to use two instances of the plug-in for something like this. Would it be possible to have the ability to set each EQ band to Mid/Side/Left/Right/Linked?

Cheers,

Chris

KVRian
650 posts since 8 Jan, 2017

Post Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:03 am

For mastering this is one of the reason I've seen some engineers preffer other dynamic EQs or even static EQs over NOVA. Fast workflow is very important to make everything fast.

KVRer
18 posts since 15 Nov, 2020

Post Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:04 am

heavymetalmixer wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:03 am
For mastering this is one of the reason I've seen some engineers preffer other dynamic EQs or even static EQs over NOVA. Fast workflow is very important to make everything fast.
what is wrong with using 2 tdr nova instances? one for sum, another for difference, or one for left, another for right?
Thanks
Bitwig, Renoise, Mixbus32c, TokyoDawnLabs...

KVRian
650 posts since 8 Jan, 2017

Post Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:31 pm

senseiprod wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:04 am
heavymetalmixer wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:03 am
what is wrong with using 2 tdr nova instances? one for sum, another for difference, or one for left, another for right?
Thanks
It's not bad when it comes to the sound but it's a hassle when it comes to workflow. Would you preffer to use 3 different EQs (Mid, Side and Stereo in this example) on the screen for a single track? Or a single EQ for the same job?

KVRer
18 posts since 15 Nov, 2020

Post Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:47 pm

i agree that it can get cumbersome, but then again, i was never in need for such a drastical audio overhaul. I agree that it would be awesome to have like 3 instances of nova, but perhaps one should have ability to control all instances.. via api (sorry, i'm not an dsp engineer).
It would be cool to have tdr nova on every channel, and one instance in which you can toggle/switch every instance, hence it would more easier.. but it's a philosophy.. i'm not a designer, nor an engineer.. but it's a small hint from me. Cheers!
Bitwig, Renoise, Mixbus32c, TokyoDawnLabs...

KVRian
1467 posts since 30 May, 2003 from Milan, Italy

Post Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:50 pm

SlickEQ M can do it, but then you lose the dynamic ability.

KVRAF
1626 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:17 am

It's rather confusing/ambiguous to show visual feedback for all these different dimensions. Nova uses a shaded region to show GR, while SlickEQ M uses shaded regions to show the difference between mid and side. It works well.

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”