TX16Wx as 4x4 drum sampler? (4x4 drum pad view)

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm currently cleaning up my studio setup, and I'm checking out TX16Wx again (after having some very positive experience with v2, as it is fairly oldschool, fast and low on CPU).

I am wondering, if it is possible to get a 4x4 drum pad mode, complete with choke groups and inserts "per pad". Certain layers and trigger types doesn't seem to be a problem. If this would only be possible with the Pro version, no problem. I plan to upgrade regardless. But this would offer me a flexible, yet low CPU instrument, with a big UI (unlike the low profile drum machines I currently use).

If there is a skin existing already, or a plan for a future update, please let me know.
Thanks in advance
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I am reading this as you want a pad layout instead of the keyboard based mapping that is normal. Right now this is not possible, no. You will have to do your drum kit piano keyboard style. That being said, all things like chokes and layering, individual filters etc can be easily done. In the pro version you can define drums using matrices, i.e. one axis for velocity and one for round robin or controller based variation. Combined with group switching you can have quite dynamic kits.

At some point I might make a either dedicated drum sampler "view" for the TX, or simply an instrument using the engine. But that is way in the future...
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

So a 4x4 pad view like with an MPC is not possible currently.

Would an implementation even possible at this point, or would this need a drastic overhaul of the code?

I ask because my go-to 4x4 style drum sampler is POISE from One Small Clue. But this could really see a v2 at this point, with WAV loop slicing. Or at bar minimum a UI resize function. Every other drum machine I used is overloaded with features.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I very much doubt there will ever be a drum "view" in TX16Wx. If for no other reason that it would not fit very well in the rest of the sound/UI model.

As for a dedicated CWITEC drum sampler, I would not hold my breath at this point. I'm not even sure what a reasonable feature list would include.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Why reinvent the wheel if you have everything in TX16Wx already?

I mean, what is there really needed?
Choke groups, inserts per pad or pad group, a good visual editor for the samples, WAV and REX slicing, loading of WAV/AIFF/SND - bonus would be stuff like AKAI or old MUON Sofware SR-202 (which POISE can actually load).

It doesn't need to be a full blown MPC or MACHINE. Take One Small Clue POISE as guide. It's simple, it's streamlined, has no extreme bells an whistles. It just has three main flaws: 1) no UI resize, 2) the browser is a bit "meh", 3) only two global FX.

Creating a custom "drum pad UI" for TX16Wx looks to me like barely any work. You can still have access to all the sampler has to offer. You just use a different user interface like... say an MPC-2000 or whatever. So no extra/dedicated VSTi needed IMO. :shrug:

TX16Wx is a Sampler/ Sound generating Tool. It is not a controller. The build in keyboard is a little tool that helps configuring each of the possible notevalues defined in the MIDI standard. There is no need to restrict the TX16Wx-UI to a few pads while ignoring all the other notes of a keyboard. The configuration of such an individual UI would need a lot of effords to define exactly the display (how many pads, how many rows, how many columns) and configuration (which note belongs to which pad, group assignments etc.). If you want to have an individual controller which looks like a drum machine or a mpc, maybe the best idea is to look for such a controller (hardware or software). There are surely a lot of cheap hardwarecontrollers that fit the needs and as well there are apps which can provide the exact UI (even customizable) that meet the expectations as a controller.

I can play pads with Tx16wx - akai mpk mini mk2 combination. No need for virtual pads.

My focus is not for "virtual pads" for playing on the screen, but to merely have a visual representation of a standard MPC look (since I'm used to that from drum samplers). The engine is already there, it would just be a different "view" of a limited range of keys on the keyboard.

"How" I trigger the keys, is completely irrelevant.

I was thinking about this thing. But I see concept of real hardware rack sampler like was real TX16W, so there were no pads. Visually it is deep, as it was in hardware. So I don't think that it needs to change its workflow.
blah-blag-blah

Compyfox wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:36 amCreating a custom "drum pad UI" for TX16Wx looks to me like barely any work.
Have you seen the code? Are you a programmer? You can never make a casual assumption like that without understanding what's under the bonnet.

Return to “CWITEC”