FR: Wave editor loop editing improvements

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When the loop overlay is active in the wave editor I think it would be useful, when zoomed in and adjusting one end of the loop, to be able to hold a modifier key in order to adjust the opposite end of the loop.

When trying to loop sustained melodic sounds, I find I need to go zooming in and out and jumping from one end of the loop to the other to try to find a section which loops cleanly and it often needs small tweaks at both ends to get a smooth transition. Being able to adjust the opposite end while observing the loop overlay would, I think, cut out a lot of this jumping around.

Also, it would be really handy if looped playback of the wave could be latched so you could hear the loop adjustments as you make them, without having to keep playing the wave.

Loop making can be frustrating and tedious, so anything to speed up the workflow would be very nice.

Ok, I added a CTRL-modifier to dragging loop start/end that will instead move the opposite marker.
As for updating the loop: Loop is dynamically updated every processing block when using RAM playback. It should be accurate enough for real-time feedback.
For DFD it is a little more difficult. Could update the used loops on every loop edit, but it would both become a bit expensive, but more to the point, potentially dangerous so not doing that now. And even if I did, the actual change would only come at some time in the future, depending on buffer and loop size. So not sure it is so helpful.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Thanks! Don't stress about the other thing. Holding p works okay. :)

I thought of something else that would be cool. Could we perhaps hold shift or alt to adjust the crossfade size?

Also, a slight niggle. When I'm zoomed in really close and adjusting the opposite side of the loop, dragging left seems much more responsive than dragging right.

That is quite possible, since adjusting the immediate point will use "absolute" sample "coordinates", while adjusting the opposite end will operate on a delta from last point held, and thus suffer from aliasing converting screen coordinates to samples iteratively. Not sure I care to really fix that. At least not in any hurry.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

No worries, it's good that it works at all. How about adjusting the crossfade with a modifier? Is that doable?

It is doable, but I think the correct change would be to make crossfade draggable in general. Problem is when it is zero, having something to grab onto (and that I am out of modifier keys now!).
Perhaps one solution would be to add a small handle in the top or bottom of the loop end which can initiate dragging cross fade region.
However, I will postpone this somewhat, since I am swamped with other projects. But at some point.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

elcallio wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:54 pmadd a small handle in the top or bottom of the loop end which can initiate dragging cross fade region
Yes, that's how REAPER does it. I vote handle at the top and look forward to whenever it gets implemented.

Return to “CWITEC”