Acoustica Premium 7.1.16 - information about opened files

Official support for: acondigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mr. Stian,

I refer to Acoustica Premium 7.1.16, running on Windows 10 Professional 64-bit.

When I open an MP3 audio file, just below the clip editor window there is this information: 44100 Hz, 2 channels, 16 bit PCM. The same happens with a FLAC file.

1. There is, it seems, no place in Acoustica where to find information on the actual kind of file that was opened, for example, MP3 file, bit-rate = 320 kbps. The Statistics window also doesn't show that information. Am I missing something? If not, couldn't that information be included somewhere in Acoustica, possibly on the main window itself, and also in the Statistics window?

2. Why does a MP3 file open with this "44100 Hz, 2 channels, 16 bit PCM"? Is this a fixed default, unchangeable? Or can it be changed somewhere in Acoustica? I cannot find information on that in the Help files.

3. If I understand correctly, I suppose that to convert a MP3 file to a WAV file (as it seems), some kind of interpolation has to be made in the audio. The information shown in the Statistics window, mainly the Maximum True Peak Level, refers to which of these files? To both?

Regards,

Paulo

Hi Paulo,
Paulo-Brazil wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:00 am 1. There is, it seems, no place in Acoustica where to find information on the actual kind of file that was opened, for example, MP3 file, bit-rate = 320 kbps. The Statistics window also doesn't show that information. Am I missing something? If not, couldn't that information be included somewhere in Acoustica, possibly on the main window itself, and also in the Statistics window?
At the time being, we use the audio decoding provided by Windows and macOS to parse mp3 and we don't get access to the encoding bitrate. We plan to switch to our own decoding library for mp3 now that the patent have expired.
Paulo-Brazil wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:00 am2. Why does a MP3 file open with this "44100 Hz, 2 channels, 16 bit PCM"? Is this a fixed default, unchangeable? Or can it be changed somewhere in Acoustica? I cannot find information on that in the Help files.
The mp3 decoder will choose the PCM format that matches best so this depends on the source file.
Paulo-Brazil wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:00 am3. If I understand correctly, I suppose that to convert a MP3 file to a WAV file (as it seems), some kind of interpolation has to be made in the audio. The information shown in the Statistics window, mainly the Maximum True Peak Level, refers to which of these files? To both?
This is actually done in the decoder. It's a rather complex subject and involves much more than interpolation. What you see in Acoustica is then the decoded signal represented as PCM internally.

Best,
Stian

Return to “Acon Digital”