Equalize 2 automation erratic behaviour in Reaper

Official support for: acondigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone.
I kind of recently bought Equalize 2 (Reaper user, Macintosh). I'm very happy with it, but i have a problem now.
I'm trying to automate a lowpass filter with a very simple frequency automation ( 1000->16000 Hz, linear). Instead of doing a smooth transition the filter does frequency jumps, like big steps.
The graphic runs smoothly, the sound doesn't.
I also noticed a CPU peak (equalize 2 off: 2,8% || equalize 2 on and automated: 20%) in the performance meter window.
I tried both VST and VST3 versions, I created a new empty project to test it and the behaviour persists.
Any Ideas?

My setup is Macbook pro mid 2015, High Sierra, Reaper 5.987 64 Bit.

Thank you in advance!
SL

PS: if you need test files, just tell me!

Hi!

Are you using "Mixed phase" mode? Updating the filter coefficients in mixed phase is quite CPU intensive, so I would recommend linear or minimum phase in this case. These are lighter on CPU and will hence update faster.

Best,
Stian

Hello Stian,
thank you for your answer. Yes, indeed, it was on "mixed phase", I switched to "minimum Phase" and it's much better.
I must admit that it's not very clear to me the what "mixed" phase advantages are, but since sometimes I need to automate frequencies does it make sense to switch (with automations) from "mixed" to "minimum || linear" phase just before (where there is no sound of course) and then back to mixed after the automation (again, where there is no sound). Or maybe it's just enough to put it on minimum and forget about it?

Thank you again for your kind support,
SL

In this case, I would simply leave it at minimum phase. Mixed phase is great for handling some issues in the low frequency range, but the differences aren't dramatic.

Best,
Stian

Thank you Stian,
You have been very helpful.
Have a great day,
SL

Return to “Acon Digital”