Acoustica 7.2 and CPU on MacBook

Official support for: acondigital.com
nickfive
KVRer
2 posts since 30 Mar, 2020

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:00 pm

Hi
Acoustica seems to be hogging a lot of CPU on my MacBook Pro 2019 i9. It seems to be setting off the fan, for example, just with playback with the activity monitor reporting CPU up in the 90%s. I know my MacBook is prone to this :-( I also know that there have been comments about VSTs on Acoustica causing this. Is anyone picking up the same thing?
I'd appreciate any feedback because Acoustica is currently the joy of my audio life.

Paulo-Brazil
KVRist
124 posts since 1 Oct, 2017

Re: Acoustica 7.2 and CPU on MacBook

Post Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:06 pm

My computer isn't a Mac, but a PC with Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, Intel Xeon 4-core 8-thread processor, 32 Gb of memory. Just for a music file playback, Acoustica Premium 7.2.1 takes only approximately 4% of my CPU power.

stian
KVRian
1060 posts since 1 Jan, 2005 from Norway

Post Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:24 pm

We haven't received any feedback regarding the CPU usage during playback. You could try to hide some of the real-time analyzers. I assume that these account for most of the CPU usage during normal playback.

Best,
Stian

Paulo-Brazil
KVRist
124 posts since 1 Oct, 2017

Post Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:15 pm

If I disable the real-time analyzers, when playing a music file Acoustica uses only 2-3% of my CPU power. About 4% with the analyzers on (loudness, level, correlation, spectrum), and 2-3% without them.

nickfive
KVRer
2 posts since 30 Mar, 2020

Post Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:18 am

Thanks for the advice folks it was much appreciated.
The real-time analysers certainly do kick off my Mac's fan. I turned them all off and, hey-presto, no thermal nastiness and no fan. As soon as I re-ran the correlation meter, level meter and spectrum analyser (which I was as standard) things got noisy again, particularly with the spectrum analyser. I noted that the spectrogram view also added pressure on the computer's heat.

I believe that I may have misunderstood the CPU readings on Mac's activity monitor. System and user usage remained very low throughout so sorry to have suggested that it was the cpu.

Regarding Acoustica I know I can live with this. I will keep my wrath for Apple and not you guys ;-)
Thanks again.

Return to “Acon Digital”