Labels (anchors, markers) to regions capability, and gapless playback

Official support for: acondigital.com
TLMuse
KVRer
5 posts since 9 Aug, 2013 from NY

Post Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:41 pm

Hi Acon community-

A common audio editing task for me is breaking up a live concert recording into pieces for exporting as separate tracks with gapless playback. Back when I used to use the now-defunct BIAS Peak app for this, I could put markers (Acoustica's "labels") at the track boundaries, and then use a handy "Markers to regions" operation to automatically create regions between the markers, for subsequent processing and export. I've looked for a similar operation in Acoustica, but I can't find it. Is there some way to accomplish this that I've overlooked?

Also, is there anything special I should do to export the tracks (regions) to make sure they can play back gapless? I'm not totally clear on the workflow for this in Acoustica. I suppose any lossless export would play back fine, but can I do MP3 or AAC exporting from Acoustica in a way that supports gapless playback?

-Tom

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
4188 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Re: Labels (anchors, markers) to regions capability, and gapless playback

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:40 am

Coming from Sounddesigner and then Peak, I want all Peak features as well...

stian
KVRian
1060 posts since 1 Jan, 2005 from Norway

Post Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:28 am

TLMuse wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:41 pm
Hi Acon community-

A common audio editing task for me is breaking up a live concert recording into pieces for exporting as separate tracks with gapless playback. Back when I used to use the now-defunct BIAS Peak app for this, I could put markers (Acoustica's "labels") at the track boundaries, and then use a handy "Markers to regions" operation to automatically create regions between the markers, for subsequent processing and export. I've looked for a similar operation in Acoustica, but I can't find it. Is there some way to accomplish this that I've overlooked?
Unfortunately, that's currently not possible in Acoustica. I don't know BIAS Peak well. How did Peak know which regions to include and which to exclude? Did it simply alternate? Isn't it easier to select the track boundaries and press the "R" button to create a new region directly? If you want to create a region between two labels, you can simply double click between them to extend the selection to the nearest labels and press R to create the region.
TLMuse wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:41 pm
Also, is there anything special I should do to export the tracks (regions) to make sure they can play back gapless? I'm not totally clear on the workflow for this in Acoustica. I suppose any lossless export would play back fine, but can I do MP3 or AAC exporting from Acoustica in a way that supports gapless playback?
I'm quite sure what you want to accomplish. Do you want to create one contiguous clip from all the regions? Currently, you can save the regions to separate files, but you cannot save them as a gapless sequence to one file. We could create a "Create clip from regions" command or something along those lines that could open a new clip editor with the concatenated regions.

Best,
Stian

Paulo-Brazil
KVRist
124 posts since 1 Oct, 2017

Post Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:46 am

Stian, you have said: "If you want to create a region between two labels, you can simply double click between them to extend the selection to the nearest labels and press R to create the region". This double-click way of creating a region between two labels doesn't seem to be documented in the Help files.

Return to “Acon Digital”