Mouse shorcuts?

Official support for: acondigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I started using the Acustica editor recently. I have my muscle memory ingrained to do:

-scrolling horizontally: mousewheel.
-zooming horizontally: ctrl + mousewheel.
-scrolling vertically: horizontal-wheel (using a Logitech MX Master 2s).
-zooming vertically: ctrl + horizontal-wheel

Is there a way to change those navigation shortcuts? The defaults are very unergonomic for me, especially scrolling vertically with shift + mousewheel.

Unfortunately, the mouse interaction cannot be modified. I'm not sure it it's a good idea to add this either as it will probably be error prone and make support a bit of a nightmare.

Best,
Stian

I fail to see how having the user change some of the mouse shortcuts (program ergonomics) to its taste could be a bad idea (ignoring how hard/time consuming is to do on your codebase).

Usually on a program that has a main work area that can scroll, the scroll wheel does so. If the program is vertically oriented it scrolls vertically and vice versa. Some of them zoom with "ctrl + scroll" too, like the web browser you are using now to read this. This is an established standard on regular programs that I use all day (I'm a dev too), especially the scrolling, that I try my audio apps to follow.

In my case I use Reaper and this is how it works. It allows changing mouse modifiers but if I remember correctly at least the scrolling defaults were these (and if a program has insane defaults, it is Reaper). I use Acustica as my audio editor on Reaper, so when jumping to Acustica from Reaper I get constantly annoyed by me constantly forgetting the different mouse command set and zooming unwantedly. I have it ingrained on my muscle memory.

Not having configurable mouse settings makes my second (horizontal) scroll wheel useless too.

I can kind of imagine why the default for the scroll wheel is zooming if we suppose that the most used action on an audio editor for most people is zooming. I honestly don't know. In my case I set the zoom to a reasonable level and then I scroll more than I zoom.

With regards to support being a nightmare because of this, I'm not sure that I follow, I guess that people that cares about setting its shortcuts remembers they have customized the program and act accordingly, but it is support, weird things happen in unpredictable ways :)

Anyways, these are my arguments for this FR.
Last edited by rafa1981 on Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

In Reaper's arrange area and midi editor, by default, the mousewheel zooms horizontally at the cursor position. I usually change this to zoom at mouse position, and lately to vertical scroll to avoid confusing a Cubase using friend...

I agree that it would be nice to be able to change shortcut keys in Acoustica, but not as a priority when there are other areas that could be improved first (e.g. better loop editing, which I believe (from another thread) is in the pipeline).

Return to “Acon Digital”