What sound engine for recording - 'input and output does not have a common samplerate'

Official support for: acondigital.com
KVRer
1 posts since 28 Feb, 2010

Post Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:45 am

Hello,

after a long time i tried to digitalize a record. I have a phono-usb preamp. Everything works fine with Audacity, but if i try to use Acoustica i have different problems.
If i use DirectSound it works but doews not sound very good and have (depending on the buffer size) more or less crackles.
If i try to use Windows Audio the i receive the error 'input and output does not have a common samplerate'

My preamp is the pro-ject phono box usb, my audio device a Motu M.
If i use a jabra headphone as output device it works with Windows Audio, but only the left channel, no stereo.

As i told, no problem with other audio software (Audacity, Studio One ...)

KVRer
22 posts since 19 Jun, 2019

Post Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:33 am

I suggest using ASIO. If you have a Motu M2/M4 it should work even if you use it in several applications at the same time.
But I also suggest setting the same sample rate in all apps and Windows. It just makes life easier.

KVRian
1120 posts since 1 Jan, 2005 from Norway

Post Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:33 pm

This is actually a more general problem in Windows. If you have two devices (i.e. different input and output devices) that don't have any common sample rates, you have to do sample rate conversion in real time. The original MME windows driver architecture does this (in a rather crappy way) without notifying the user. With the newer WASAPI driver architecture doesn't do sample rate conversion per default. Because we've received several similar requests, we changed the behaviour in the upcoming version 7.3. However, I'd strongly recommend to only use devices that can agree on a common sample rate to avoid quality loss. I'd also strongly recommend ASIO over the Windows driver models.

Best,
Stian

Return to “Acon Digital”