Remove whistle artifacts from vocal?

Official support for: acondigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I've been sent a vocal track to mix and there is some whistling in the "ess" sounds. Could someone advise how I could get rid of this using Acoustica Premium?

Hi Richard,
dickiefunk wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:00 pm I've been sent a vocal track to mix and there is some whistling in the "ess" sounds. Could someone advise how I could get rid of this using Acoustica Premium?
Can you identify the whistling visually in the spectral editor? If yes, I'd recommend to use the lasso or brush tool to select the unwanted whistle and use the retouch tool for repair.

Best,
Stian

Hi Stian,

I'm not sure how to do what you are suggesting? I can pm you the audio clip.

Hi!
dickiefunk wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:27 pm Hi Stian,

I'm not sure how to do what you are suggesting? I can pm you the audio clip.
Thanks, I received the file and it should be quite easy to fix with the spectral editor. I think the process could be interesting for other users, so I would like to ask if it is okay that I post screenshots from the process here? Would it also be okay to share the before and after audio examples?

Best,
Stian

Yes please feel free to post here Stian :)

dickiefunk wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:28 pm Yes please feel free to post here Stian :)
Great! So here's the procedure:

Using the retouch tool
  • Load the clip and switch to Spectral Editing mode
    Switch to spectral mode.png
  • Identify the unwanted sound
    Identify unwanted sound.png
  • Select the smallest area in the spectrogram that covers the unwanted sound. Here I used the lasso tool, but you can also use a brush tool or the magic wand (best for harmonic sounds).
    Select using lasso tool.png
  • Enable the Retouch tool by clicking the button indicated below:
    Enable retouch tool.png
  • The Retouch tool needs a reference point that is as similar as possible, but without the noise. Press and hold the Ctrl key while moving the mouse to choose a reference. The reference can be to the left or right of the selection, but also above or below.
    Select reference.png
  • Press the button with the arrow to perform the actual retouch
You will need to repeat the procedure for every "whistle" like sound you encounter. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to embed the audio files here, but the whistle sound is completely gone after the processing.

Best,
Stian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This works brilliantly!! I am able to get a much more transparent sound removing esses and whistle like sounds from vocals than any de-esser, multiband dynamic eq or the sibilance tool in in Melodyne 5.

dickiefunk wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:32 am This works brilliantly!! I am able to get a much more transparent sound removing esses and whistle like sounds from vocals than any de-esser, multiband dynamic eq or the sibilance tool in in Melodyne 5.
Thanks, glad to hear that!

Best,
Stian

Thank you. This was also very helpful to me in a restauration task I had today editing out heavy wind noise. But I would love to see an option to not only attenuate a selected range, but also to add gain. Would that be possible?

shoma wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:50 pm Thank you. This was also very helpful to me in a restauration task I had today editing out heavy wind noise. But I would love to see an option to not only attenuate a selected range, but also to add gain. Would that be possible?
Glad to hear that! :) Yes, you can use the "Replace" method instead of the default "Attenuate" method. Please click the drop-down arrow on the Retouch button to view the retouch settings and select "Replace" under "Retouch method".

Best,
Stian

stian wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:19 am
shoma wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:50 pm Thank you. This was also very helpful to me in a restauration task I had today editing out heavy wind noise. But I would love to see an option to not only attenuate a selected range, but also to add gain. Would that be possible?
Glad to hear that! :) Yes, you can use the "Replace" method instead of the default "Attenuate" method. Please click the drop-down arrow on the Retouch button to view the retouch settings and select "Replace" under "Retouch method".

Best,
Stian

Thank you! Just let me explain the problem. I was asked to rescue a recording (made outside with a smartphone) that is suffering from heavy wind noise. While the person holding the device ist quite good to understand after removing most of the wind noise, the other person, standing a few foot away, is not. My idea was to raise the gain only in a certain frequency range in those parts where the other person is talking. Just using an eq does not work. So you say, using the "replace" option will help in this case? I'll have to try this, because my understanding of this option was a bit different, so I didn't test it. :tu:

shoma wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:07 pm Thank you! Just let me explain the problem. I was asked to rescue a recording (made outside with a smartphone) that is suffering from heavy wind noise. While the person holding the device ist quite good to understand after removing most of the wind noise, the other person, standing a few foot away, is not. My idea was to raise the gain only in a certain frequency range in those parts where the other person is talking. Just using an eq does not work. So you say, using the "replace" option will help in this case? I'll have to try this, because my understanding of this option was a bit different, so I didn't test it. :tu:
Acoustica will apply processing only to the selected time/frequency selection, so you can easily boost the gain using the Change Volume command. Removing wind manually is very tricky, though. Did you try the new DeWind:Dialogue tool (Enhancement menu)? That should be ideal for this task.

Best,
Stian

stian wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:43 am
shoma wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:07 pm Thank you! Just let me explain the problem. I was asked to rescue a recording (made outside with a smartphone) that is suffering from heavy wind noise. While the person holding the device ist quite good to understand after removing most of the wind noise, the other person, standing a few foot away, is not. My idea was to raise the gain only in a certain frequency range in those parts where the other person is talking. Just using an eq does not work. So you say, using the "replace" option will help in this case? I'll have to try this, because my understanding of this option was a bit different, so I didn't test it. :tu:
Acoustica will apply processing only to the selected time/frequency selection, so you can easily boost the gain using the Change Volume command. Removing wind manually is very tricky, though. Did you try the new DeWind:Dialogue tool (Enhancement menu)? That should be ideal for this task.

Best,
Stian
Yes, I'm aware of this new DeWind tool and I was looking forward to use it on this task. But it turned out, that the noise floor was too excessive and that painting it out manually was giving me astonishing results and by far considerably better than any of the competing products (RX7, SpectralLayers) in my arsenal. By the way...raising the volume of a specific frequency range in small amounts is quite easy in RX7. The results overall just didn't sound as good as in Acoustica and was looking for a similar way to do it in Acoustica. I will try out your suggestions. :tu: :ud:

Return to “Acon Digital”