Another Namm passes with no Tracktion news :(

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

randyandyvandaman wrote:Metamorphosis,

I know you are a longtime and dedicated Tracktioneer.

How many tracks is too many not based on your cpu but on the real needs of the actual track.

I tend not to go over about 20-30. drums, bass, lead, piano fx, vocals, sfx.

Cheers
Randywhatsisface.
The number of tracks I need is based on the number of tracks I need. You are not running a studio. I am. It's not based on the CPU, it's based on tracktion's internal disk streaming bug. See the 3.0.4.8 buglist for full details.
Cheers,

beau921 wrote:
audiojunkie wrote:Actually, the recession ended quite a while ago. We've had a positive GDP, albeit a very, very minimal one. It is going to take quite a while to get the economy back on its feet, but we're not really in a recession anymore.

However, as you say, resources are and are likely to continue to be limited for a while, so it makes sense that Mackie would be "tightening its belt" until the economy improves.

Still, it's disappointing to see innovative technology just sitting and not advancing.

--Sean

Real gross domestic product -- the output of goods and services produced by labor and property located in the United States -- increased at an annual rate of 3.2 percent in the fourth quarter of 2010, (that is, from the third quarter to the fourth quarter), according to the "advance" estimate released by the Bureau of Economic Analysis. In the third quarter, real GDP increased 2.6 percent. The Bureau emphasized that the fourth-quarter advance estimate released today is based on source data that are incomplete or subject to further revision by the source agency (see the box on page 4). The "second" estimate for the fourth quarter, based on more complete data, will be released on February 25, 2011. The increase in real GDP in the fourth quarter primarily reflected positive contributions from personal consumption expenditures (PCE), exports, and nonresidential fixed investment that were partly offset by a negative contribution from private inventory investment. Imports, which are a subtraction in the calculation of GDP, decreased. The acceleration in real GDP in the fourth quarter primarily reflected a sharp downturn in imports, an acceleration in PCE, and an upturn in residential fixed investment that were partly offset by downturns in private inventory investment and in federal government spending and a deceleration in nonresidential fixed investment. Final sales of computers added 0.31 percentage point to the fourth-quarter change in real GDP after adding 0.29 percentage point to the third-quarter change. Motor vehicle output subtracted 0.34 percentage point from the fourth-quarter change in real GDP after adding 0.49 percentage point to the third-quarter change.

The GDP alone doesn't determine the state of the nation's economy any more than the stock market approaching the 12,000 mark.

Every determining factor in what I posted above, [dated Friday January 28, 2011] from the Bureau of Economic Analysis, can be read positively or negatively.

The government reads it positively and touts [false?] recovery, and the long term unemployed read it to be somewhat negative in sensing the USA now only exports jobs.

No one is more optimistic than I am. Though it gets harder and harder to find anything to be optimistic about.

So, with respect, I disagree. We're at best in a recession, and at worst in a soft depression. Because, for the foreseeable future we, as a nation, don't have enough with which to reestablish solid footing to lift ourselves back up into economic competitiveness.

Don't make it all about dollars and cents. Factor in, for example, development of clean energy or our infrastructure.

The USA Electrical Grid:

http://www.energybulletin.net/node/43823

And, of course, it remains to be seen what happens with the Chinese currency.

That could drastically affect everyone here at KVR since so much of what we use is manufactured there now.

I'm not trying to turn this into a political forum, but remember when the government fell in love with the phrase "21st Century service economy?"

Look around, that hasn't turned out so well, now has it.

My point is, Mackie is caught in this "mess" that has become the new American economy, just like the rest of us.

And for everything I said about the nation as a whole, Mackie as a corporation is a microcosm of it.

I think they should have made Tracktion development a priority considering the proliferation of computer recording and a steadily increasing user base.

But, if they have to invest money in order to make money, how much to invest?

Where do they get that money?

Who's buying?

How much is being bought?

It could be that Mackie being a predominantly hardware company faced economic uncertainty by retreating back into what it knows best...hardware manufacturing.

The Mackie homepage promotes compatability with "...everything, including Pro Tools 9."

That could be seen as gaining a competitive edge, or as putting up the white flag of software surrender.

As a user of Tracktion 2 and 3, I hope Mackie bounces back as a software corporation and surprises us all with Tracktion 4.

But, in light of the competition, how long can they wait?

Each day that passes leaves them a little further behind. And that distance may not be economically feasable to make up, which could seal Tracktion's fate once and for all.
I don't disagree. There are many, many more factors that affect an economy. We are simply expressing differences in semantics. I followed the classic definition of a recession:

Definition: A recession is defined to be a period of two quarters of negative GDP growth.

The important thing is that we agree that it is likely the economy that has affected the decision by Mackie to put further development of Tracktion on hold. :-)

--Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm posting here in the first place. Tracktion never was my cup of tea. :hihi: I guess I just feel bad that such waste is taking place. :P

--Sean

Besides, just because my workflow is different, doesn't mean that it isn't the "holy grail" for someone else. :wink:

--Sean

audiojunkie wrote: The important thing is that we agree that it is likely the economy that has affected the decision by Mackie to put further development of Tracktion on hold. :-)

--Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm posting here in the first place. Tracktion never was my cup of tea. :hihi: I guess I just feel bad that such waste is taking place. :P

--Sean

First part:

Agree.

Second part:

As for it not being your cup of tea, I don't like recommending things because everyone has different needs in software. And, often those recommendations are "I have this and like it, so you should, too."

But, if you've never tried Tracktion 3, at this price

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=701815

I would recommend it...unless you're on a mac. I've heard Tracktion 3 and mac don't always play well together. Okay, I've heard Tracktion 3 and pc don't always play well together either.

Though I haven't had the problems many people have discussed, I wouldn't base a studio around it. But, as a tool for creative purposes it's pretty handy and does have some nice features.

If there ever is an update, what better way to buy in.

No, this isn't an "I have it and like it, and you should too" recommendation. More just a "damn, that's cheap!"

I know, autopsy is fairly cheap, too...but I don't recommend one. I hear the latency is bad.

I DO have to say this. It is a very attractive price. The last time I looked at Tracktion, was with version 1. I got it how the one screen, in-to-out idea worked, but it just didn't feel right for me. Maybe I'll have to look into it again for fun, and see how it has improved. :-) Thanks for the heads up! :-)

--Sean

randyandyvandaman wrote:Who cares about 64 bit, 8 gb RAM and mega tracks.
I do! And that T3 doesn't support multi-core CPUs is just ridiculous. Fact is, Tracktion has missed the boat. As somebody here already stated, to stop development can easily kill a software product, especially in a technically evolving market like music production. Traction is dead.

opus_diaboli wrote:
randyandyvandaman wrote:Who cares about 64 bit, 8 gb RAM and mega tracks.
I do! And that T3 doesn't support multi-core CPUs is just ridiculous.
It does

Just not well.
Quad cores generally work better if chucked down to 2 cores in T, unless you're running purely VSTi for some reason (apparently - and even then, it seems random). Dual-cores work ok - but it's not fantastic code.

metamorphosis wrote:Just not well.
Quad cores generally work better if chucked down to 2 cores in T, unless you're running purely VSTi for some reason (apparently - and even then, it seems random). Dual-cores work ok - but it's not fantastic code.
Quad core is supported, but as you say, not great code. I think it varies from quad core to quad core. I've read on some rigs that it works better if only 2 cores are selected. It seems to work just fine on my AMD Quad....so YMMV
Mixcraft 8 Recording Studio : Reason 10

From the corporate parent's website:
LOUD Technologies Inc. is one of the world's largest dedicated pro audio and music products companies. As the corporate parent for world-recognized brands Alvarez®, Ampeg®, Blackheart®, Crate®, EAW®, Mackie® and Martin Audio®, LOUD engineers, markets and distributes a wide range of professional audio and musical instrument products worldwide.

Not many software cousins to lean on in that corporate family tree.

Tracktion may not be dead, but it sure is sleeping in late. It has fallen into the deep slumber of corporate neglect by 'one of the world's largest dedicated pro audio and music products companies.'

LOUD Technologies dedication to ignoring potential software customers makes it one of the world's largest ____________. (That space is reserved for your description)

The good (or really bad news, dependent on your portfolio) is that a small group of dedicated groundhogs with a little financial backing could perform a hostile takeover of LOUD (LTEC) since it's stock price is hovering around less than 0.10 a share. We could take it over - get the Tracktion code, sell off the other assets and make enough to hire a great dev team and Profit$.

If we want our revolutionary DAW back, we need to take the revolution to the streets, er, Wall Street. :D
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

That would be so cool mandolarian :)

Does anyone know whether Jules Storer (the ingenious developer/musician who singlehandedly wrote Tracktion 1 as well as writing his own user interface and multimedia library in C++) had a hand in T2 or T3?

I would love it if Mackie handed it back over to him to continue development! I'd be happy to be involved too, I've got more years of C++ development than I care to say ;-) How about it Jules?!

-Ralph

PS: Is there a good workaround for the absence of ghost clips? Maybe I can loop each MIDI part (chorus, verse, bridge, etc) on separate tracks feeding into the same vsti, and use a midi util of some kind to "mute" the midi from the individual tracks at specified times?
Ralph Gonzalez

Senderella + automation could do that.

As of 1.6, Tracktion was in Mackie's hands, er, claws. AFAIK, Jules had a part in T2 as it was released close to the Mackie takeover date of doom. T3 not so much, if at all.

I think Jules has made it clear that he doesn't want Tracktion back. That's why we need to create our own corporate raiding group. Just like a band, but better dressed.
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

beau921 wrote: Real gross domestic product -- the output of goods and services produced by labor and property located in the United States -- increased at an annual rate of 3.2 percent in the fourth quarter of 2010, (that is, from the third quarter to the fourth quarter), according to the "advance" estimate released by the Bureau of Economic Analysis. In the third quarter, real GDP increased 2.6 percent. The Bureau emphasized that the fourth-quarter advance estimate released today is based on source data that are incomplete or subject to further revision by the source agency (see the box on page 4). The "second" estimate for the fourth quarter, based on more complete data, will be released on February 25, 2011. The increase in real GDP in the fourth quarter primarily reflected positive contributions from personal consumption expenditures (PCE), exports, and nonresidential fixed investment that were partly offset by a negative contribution from private inventory investment. Imports, which are a subtraction in the calculation of GDP, decreased. The acceleration in real GDP in the fourth quarter primarily reflected a sharp downturn in imports, an acceleration in PCE, and an upturn in residential fixed investment that were partly offset by downturns in private inventory investment and in federal government spending and a deceleration in nonresidential fixed investment. Final sales of computers added 0.31 percentage point to the fourth-quarter change in real GDP after adding 0.29 percentage point to the third-quarter change. Motor vehicle output subtracted 0.34 percentage point from the fourth-quarter change in real GDP after adding 0.49 percentage point to the third-quarter change.

The GDP alone doesn't determine the state of the nation's economy any more than the stock market approaching the 12,000 mark.

Every determining factor in what I posted above, [dated Friday January 28, 2011] from the Bureau of Economic Analysis, can be read positively or negatively.

The government reads it positively and touts [false?] recovery, and the long term unemployed read it to be somewhat negative in sensing the USA now only exports jobs.

No one is more optimistic than I am. Though it gets harder and harder to find anything to be optimistic about.

So, with respect, I disagree. We're at best in a recession, and at worst in a soft depression. Because, for the foreseeable future we, as a nation, don't have enough with which to reestablish solid footing to lift ourselves back up into economic competitiveness.

Don't make it all about dollars and cents. Factor in, for example, development of clean energy or our infrastructure.

The USA Electrical Grid:

http://www.energybulletin.net/node/43823

And, of course, it remains to be seen what happens with the Chinese currency.

That could drastically affect everyone here at KVR since so much of what we use is manufactured there now.

I'm not trying to turn this into a political forum, but remember when the government fell in love with the phrase "21st Century service economy?"

Look around, that hasn't turned out so well, now has it.
WFT ???

I don't think "What F**k The" qualifies as an appropriate internet acronym ;)

mandolarian wrote:That's why we need to create our own corporate raiding group
No need really. In the couple of years that these type of threads have been posted, someone with the skills to do so could have just written a new version. The whole thing was developed around JUCE right? So just roll your own.

Return to “Tracktion”