new tracktion browser ?!?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

what if you drag from Tacky onto the Tracktion entry in the windows taskbar - that should give tracktion focus = show the VST - and then onto the vst? If you could give tracktion focus in code when you initiate a drag operation, that may do the same trick?
"Life is both a major and a minor key"
-- Travis, Side

optilude wrote:what if you drag from Tacky onto the Tracktion entry in the windows taskbar - that should give tracktion focus = show the VST - and then onto the vst? If you could give tracktion focus in code when you initiate a drag operation, that may do the same trick?
Well in the name of being slick and detail oriented.. Tacky really takes over. At first tracktion is loading like normal.. the icon is up there on the taskbar and it says "Tracktion". Then tacky kicks in, resizes the GUI as it sucks Tracktion into itself, then dumps the tracktion taskbar entry, and replaces it with the tacky one which says "Tracktion (Wrapped)." I did this because I didn't want people closing tracktion from the taskbar and not closing tacky. As a matter of fact, Tacky even hooks the minimize and close buttons in tracktion so that when you hit them, it acts like you'd expect.. but in reality is minimizing tacky (which contains tracktion), and the close button shuts down tracktion and tacky simultaneously. I even have it back in fullscreen mode, so it literally look like Tracktion 100%, but just with added features.

anyway.. I digress.. I've tried the alternative you've suggested, but unfortunately once you start dragging, that object gets focus even if you try to change it afterwards. HOWEVER, I think I might have a solution in the works here.. just gotta play a little bit more.. :D

The more I think about it, a VST probably makes more sense.. but this way has been much more fun to code! :D
ModuLR / Radio

ModuLR wrote: The more I think about it, a VST probably makes more sense.. but this way has been much more fun to code! :D
From a HCI/UI perspective, a VST doesn't make any sense at all. The only way to get a VST window open in Tracktion would be to put it on a track. That doesn't make any sense. The Tack-on approach is much more user friendly, which is a Good Thing, and, in my opinion, more important to the majority of users than being able to drag onto a few VSTs (how many VSTs work as drag-and-drop targets anyway?)

Martin
-- Travis, Side

Alright.. I've figured out a way to make it work (though not perfect yet). Basically, it enumerates all the tracktion "plugin" windows, then gives them TOP_MOST status which will keep them on top when clicking in the browser... NICE! :D and maybe what I'll do is make it reset to the flag back to normal should you minimize tracktion.. it should work for the most part... so dragndrop to whatever vst you'd like! :o
ModuLR / Radio

Sounds like it's time for an alpha release :)

last question, and I swear the next thing I post will be the alpha for everyone to try..

do most of you have the font Tahoma on your machines?
ModuLR / Radio

I do :)
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

I do too...

ModuLR wrote:Well in the name of being slick and detail oriented.. Tacky really takes over. At first tracktion is loading like normal.. the icon is up there on the taskbar and it says "Tracktion". Then tacky kicks in, resizes the GUI as it sucks Tracktion into itself, then dumps the tracktion taskbar entry, and replaces it with the tacky one which says "Tracktion (Wrapped)." I did this because I didn't want people closing tracktion from the taskbar and not closing tacky. As a matter of fact, Tacky even hooks the minimize and close buttons in tracktion so that when you hit them, it acts like you'd expect.. but in reality is minimizing tacky (which contains tracktion), and the close button shuts down tracktion and tacky simultaneously. I even have it back in fullscreen mode, so it literally look like Tracktion 100%, but just with added features.
Damn dude! That's some fiendishly out-there hackery you have pulled off here, and I suspect quite a hefty amount of work to boot. :-o :)
Someone shot the food. Remember: don't shoot food!

fully tahomad up here too ...

slainte :) rob

Since Tracktion gets wrapped in Tacky, and pushing the close button closes both programs, will Tracktion still ask if you want to save? Or will Tacky supercede it and not care?

Maybe it's a dumb question, but I thought I would ask anyway. I'm excited about this. It's a brilliant idea! Thanks again Mod! Cheers!

Koolkeys

presumably ...

... if tacky just passes on a 'close app' command to tracktion then tracktion will act on that as it normally would (ie - showing the 'save ???' dialogue ???

... mod ???

slainte :? rob

yeah.. the typical tracktion close dialog is fully functional.. so it pops up like normal. :D

I'm very very very very very close... valley, I had no idea what a hook even was until you mentioned it with MKey... inspiration comes from many sources! :D
ModuLR / Radio

I think Tahoma is standard with Windows as of 2k at least, and definitely with Office. I've got it in both windows and linux.

Martin
-- Travis, Side

ModulR, you sick bastard ! :shock:
Thumbs up.
Btw, I think tahoma is a kind of font that is pre-installed with Windows, no matter the version (just like aril, times new roman usw...).
piaznest.com

Return to “Tracktion”