Tracktion Linux FAQ

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All,

Been using Tracktion since V1. Quit after V2 when Mackie let it languish, and now I'm back. Over the years I've occasionally attempted audio on Linux, failing every time, but I just picked up a licence for T6 and am giving it another go on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit. Trying to dust off the memory cobwebs, maybe someone can answer a few questions:

1. It used to be recommended to install the real-time kernel for audio work on Linux. Is that still recommended/necessary with T6 and more modern Linux distros?

2. When I open T6, go to settings, and select "Jack" I don't see my audio device at all, it just says "none" in the inputs/outputs. If I select ALSA, it's there. I checked, and my device appears to be supported (Edirol UA-25). I imported an mp3 into a project and played it back using ALSA, but the audio is crackly below 8ms latency. Do I need to open up QJackCtl and set up my audio interface so that it appears in Tracktion when I select Jack? And if so, does anybody have a link to those instructions?

3. Anything else I need to know to get the best performance?

Thanks!

1) I'm on Arch Linux and I just use the normal non-RT kernel.

2) You should start JACK before you start Tracktion.

Check out https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowTo ... figuration

There are lot of other guides on setting up JACK and optimizing a Lnux systems for audio, but many systems do the necessary stuff already nowadays. You might also want to check out the KXStudio packages.

3) Get Carla and use it to load plugins. Even for native Linux VSTs it works better for me than loading them directly in Tracktion.

Nevermind, figured it out

May not be the place to post this, but wanted to say thanks to the Tracktion team for fixing the mp3 export, master mix, the synths, esp. the cool new biotek. Loving my new Linux daw setup and workflow. Excited to get the new Tracktion 7 when it hits the street.

Also, found a simple fix so all audio routes through Jack audio,(play YouTube vids while Tracktion is open and Jack is running it was as simple as clicking the speaker icon and changing settings, not sure why all complicated steps online to do this. Though, Ubuntu studio updates may have fixed this from previous versions? I believe all I did was this as I recall
http://askubuntu.com/questions/199176/u ... headphones

Did not have to do custom scripts in qjack or install extra stuff as I recall, this just worked, it does mean I need jack for all audio, but that is what I wanted. I know there have been a few fixes for this out there so I guess what ever works for everyone.
Please continue to support Linux, greatly appreciate it!!!

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in the Tracktion 7 preview videos that have come out of NAMM was whether or not we Linux Tracktion users will finally get LV2 plugin support. I understand the other improvements are bigger news for a bigger user base, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that it will be coming. In the meantime, though, many of us use carla-vst to load lv2 plugins when needed. I'm happy to report that as of today, FalkTX has added a 16-output patchbay version to carla-vst in his KXStudio repository. I was able to load drumgizmo (an awesome, multioutput drum sampler lv2 plugin with some really good kits available for it) in carlapatchbay16, wrap that in a Tracktion rack, and get it routing its outputs to 8 different stereo tracks. I've only just begun playing with it. I'd assume that with Carla's ability to load winvsts too, it might be useful with the likes of EZDrummer as well. I'm still hoping for native lv2 support, but this has made me happy today. KXStudio users should update their carla-vst and check it out. And one small warning, after I rescanned plugins, and added carlapatchbay16 to a track the first time, Tracktion crashed. It was a one-time thing, though. It has worked beautifully since.

I'm using Tracktion Linux 7.1.1 on Mint Linux 17.3. I upgraded from Tracktion 7.1 --> 7.1.1 (Ultimate Pack) and I can't unlock the synths with the key.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks

Doug

Doug B wrote:I'm using Tracktion Linux 7.1.1 on Mint Linux 17.3. I upgraded from Tracktion 7.1 --> 7.1.1 (Ultimate Pack) and I can't unlock the synths with the key.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks

Doug
Same here under Ubuntu 16.04, it always reject the keys. I can't unlock the plugins....

madrang wrote:Same here under Ubuntu 16.04, it always reject the keys. I can't unlock the plugins....
Are you sure you're using the machine IDs displayed in the plugin UI (once you press "Unlock" -> "Offline Unlock") to generate the keys?

Note that these are different to the machine ID shown in the Tracktion About box.

dRowAudio wrote:Are you sure you're using the machine IDs displayed in the plugin UI (once you press "Unlock" -> "Offline Unlock") to generate the keys?

Note that these are different to the machine ID shown in the Tracktion About box.
I do use the machine ID provided by the plugin and generated the key twice just to be sure.
It says "Registration Failed - The supplied key file was either corrupt or invalid, please try again."

fuxoft wrote:I also have a small problem with most VST plugins in Tracktion: When I click their icon in Tracktion, the plugin window often appears ridiculously small (about 100x60 pixels) and I have to quickly click on the plugin icon several times to make the plugin window appear normal size (or resize it by hand). Is this something can be fixed e.g. in Xubuntu window manager?
I solve this by running traction in a nested window using a window manager (openbox in my case) inside Xephyr. First create a script to launch a program in a nested window...

karl@karl-Yoga-2-Pro:/usr/local/bin$ cat xnest-openbox

Code: Select all

#! /bin/bash
export DISPLAY=:0 XAUTHORITY=~/.Xauthority
Xephyr :1 -once -screen 1920x1080 -extension GLX &
export DISPLAY=:1
openbox-session &
$@
...and then create another script to launch tracktion inside the nested window...

karl@karl-Yoga-2-Pro:/usr/local/bin$ cat tracktion

xnest-openbox /usr/bin/Tracktion7
Without doing this some plugins don't work well with Tracktion on my setup. For example DiscoveryPro GUI dynamically increases it's size when moving around the window (works well when launched from Carla). Other plugins may show up as a tiny window as you have already experienced if not launched in a nested window.

As mentioned in this thread, a more recent version of the Juce library may solve this behaviour. I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 and still have to use this nested window solution.

Hi, is there any way how to lock plugin window so it wont disapear (get behind active window) when i click anywhere inside the tracktion? I know this is not problem with windows and lock works well there but i cant lock VST in AV Studio (xfce)...

From xfce.org forum ' hotkey for "always on top" ' at https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=8231
Create a keyboard shortcut that runs the following command:

wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b toggle,above
This will toggle the "Always on top" of the currently active (focused) window.

Could someone pls. recommend an internal PCI audio card for use with Tracktion 7?

I was using an M-Audio 2496 card, but it seems to have lost it's right channel (no sound). Going to the Midiman site, I see they don't make the 2496 card anymore! :(

M-Audio Delta, RME HDSP

swindus wrote:M-Audio Delta, RME HDSP
I think that M-Audio only make external USB audio/midi boxes. On their site, all the internal cards are listed in the legacy section, but the link to dealers that sell them doesn't work. Hmmm?

RME's are way above my price range. :(

Return to “Tracktion”