Cutting/splitting clips?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok. I feel kinda dumb. I've looked in the manual and I can't seem to find how one can split a clip. For example, I'm editing a podcast and I need to add music and make space between where he ends his segment and where he starts the new segment for about 10 seconds of music. I've placed markers in every break but I can't figure out how to split up the clip so I can make a 10 second gap between the segments. Any help would be great.

click on the clip where you want it split, hit '/' key ??
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Holy cow, that was easy! Thank you! I now love Tracktion even more now. ;)

keep an eye on the buttons in the middle section of the bottom area of tracktion(*). you'll get context-dependent properties and buttons depending on what you've selected in the track area. click on a clip, and you'll see quite a lot of stuff, including the 'split clips' button, which brings up a sorta-menu containing the 'split at cursor' option along with a couple of other variations. shortcuts like '/' will be displayed on those little menus.

* as per this image from the sound on sound review of T5... split clips button is about an inch up from the start of the the SOS logo on the right-hand-side

my other modular synth is a bugbrand

When I put the cursor on a clip and press /, nothing happens.
I tried the key that is shift + 7 and the / on my number pad.
Is there yet another / somewhere?

That submenu with "split at cursor" is available. But only for audio clip, not midi clips.
So can only audio clips be split and midi clips not at all?

And how can I set the splitting point = the position of the cursor exactly, for example at the beginning of a bar?
Although "snap" is active, I can position the cursor anywhere in between.
Is zooming in and using ctrl additionally, the best way to go?
DAW : Waveform PRO 12.1.8, 64bit | PC : i5 - 4570, 3,2GHz, LGA1150, Quad-Core | RAM : 8 GB (2x4) Kingston 1333 Mhz | OS : Win 10, 64bit

Click somewhere near where you want to be, to drop the playhead, arrow key left or right, and it will snap to the start of the bar, or whatever beat is closest in that direction. Check you definitely have / mapped to split at cursor under keyboard settings, and you've not mapped it to something else instead. It's usually the key that has the ? on it as well, down by the right hand shift key.

This may be different, if you're not using a QWERTY english keyboard. Just remap the key in keyboard shortcuts, if that's the case (I suspect it is, because Shift + 7 on English keyboards is & not / )
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

SteffHell wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:24 pm When I put the cursor on a clip and press /, nothing happens.
I tried the key that is shift + 7 and the / on my number pad.
Is there yet another / somewhere?
I too am only able to split audio with the 'split clip' menu. The '/' key is the shortcut for this function.

In fact I get an error msg "couldnt split clips, no clips were selected" when clips are clearly selected and cursor is over selected clips :(

Any suggestions?

It splits the clip where the playhead cursor is, not the mouse pointer. Is that maybe why you're getting that error? Try selecting just one audio clip, make sure the playhead is within the start and end time of that clip, then hit / and see if the audio clip gets split there. It should do.

chico.co.uk wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:28 pm It splits the clip where the playhead cursor is, not the mouse pointer. Is that maybe why you're getting that error? Try selecting just one audio clip, make sure the playhead is within the start and end time of that clip, then hit / and see if the audio clip gets split there. It should do.

Yup tried this, still get error message :-/
Clips are not locked or bound by anything that I know of.

* I recorded a quick vocal and tried it the '/' shortcut and it worked fine though.

Perhaps I activated some kind of edit protect or something I was not aware of.
Rookie mistake.

Thank you all for your input, I will update this when I find out what happened.

chico.co.uk wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:20 pm (...)
It's usually the key that has the ? on it as well, down by the right hand shift key.

This may be different, if you're not using a QWERTY english keyboard. Just remap the key in keyboard shortcuts, if that's the case (I suspect it is, because Shift + 7 on English keyboards is & not / )
Yes, my keyboard is different, it is a QWERTZ and the key with the ? is \ in my case. Will check the shortcuts and try with the \ key.
DAW : Waveform PRO 12.1.8, 64bit | PC : i5 - 4570, 3,2GHz, LGA1150, Quad-Core | RAM : 8 GB (2x4) Kingston 1333 Mhz | OS : Win 10, 64bit

chico.co.uk wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:20 pm (...)
Check you definitely have / mapped to split at cursor under keyboard settings, and you've not mapped it to something else instead. It's usually the key that has the ? on it as well, down by the right hand shift key.

My keyboard shortcuts are unchanged and show this:
Settings > Keyboard Shortcuts > Editing > Split selected clips at cursor: /
Settings > Keyboard Shortcuts > Midi Editor > Split notes: ctrl + /

If I click on a clip (the red line at the top is on) and I put the playhead cursor on that clip, I can split the clip with Properties > Split CLips > "Split clips at cursor position [shortcut: '/']" (works for both audio and midi).

But if I want to do the same with shortcut "/", it still doesn't work. I tried all combinations (ctrl, shift, alt, alt gr) of the key with /, 7, { and the key with ?, ß, \.

Just remap the key, in keyboard shortcuts.

EDIT: Just discovered that there is another thread about this topic with more information
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=526866

The split command and its standard shortcut "/" is still a mystery to me.
On my QWERTZ keyboard I have the following two keys with "/":
1) Shift + 7
2) the "/" on the number pad

Now have a look at that screenshot of my shortcuts

* Marked as 1 is the standard "/" from the system
* Marked as 2 is the "/" that is added if I press shift + 7. It *looks* exactly the same but must be something different because otherwise the system would not accept it as an additional shortcut and instead show an error message "this key is already asigned..."
* Marked as 3 is the "/" that is added if I press the "/" from the number pad and that is, in fact, used by the system but for another command

As a result of that, I can't use the standard shortcut for splitting.
If I press the shift + 7 = "/", nothing happens.
If I press the number pad "/" it zooms out instead (which was completely confusing me at first)

And what sign the system uses for its "/" and how I could trigger that is still, as I said, a mystery.

And yes, I can work around by changing the shortcuts (which is what I did), but I am a bit worried that there might be more problems of that kind as some other shortcuts also seemed like without function. So I am a bit worried that there is more to this ;-(

Return to “Tracktion”