how to create region and move sections?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Steve Bolivar wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:16 am It sounds like what the Arranger track does in Studio One.
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... ements?amp
My ideal solution would not be the Arranger track in Studio One but regions as used in Reaper:
Simpy defining a certain part as a region and then being able to flexibly move or copy these parts to other places.

I made a quick example file:
DAW : Waveform PRO 12.1.8, 64bit | PC : i5 - 4570, 3,2GHz, LGA1150, Quad-Core | RAM : 8 GB (2x4) Kingston 1333 Mhz | OS : Win 10, 64bit

Mark the region as you did; you can have one or more tracks selected. Instead of using Insert space at marked region from the Tracks button (which appears to do nothing, as you found), go to the middle column in the Properties Panel where, near the top of the column, you will see Insert into Tracks. Click that, and you should have the option to Insert space in the marked region. That should do the trick.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

There's a new way to move sections around in Waveform 10

(On mac) hold Option + Shift, and the cursor will change to a capital I shape.
Drag over multiple tracks, to highlight a section of however many tracks you want to move (perhaps all of them, perhaps not). You can use Control + click to add or remove tracks to the selected ones.

Click on the header of any of the tracks and drag it to where you want it to be, all the other tracks will move with it, the cuts etc will be made for you.

If you hold Command while dragging, it will drag a copy, and leave the original in place.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

chico.co.uk wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:43 am There's a new way to move sections around in Waveform 10

(On mac) hold Option + Shift, and the cursor will change to a capital I shape.
Drag over multiple tracks, to highlight a section of however many tracks you want to move (perhaps all of them, perhaps not). You can use Control + click to add or remove tracks to the selected ones.

Click on the header of any of the tracks and drag it to where you want it to be, all the other tracks will move with it, the cuts etc will be made for you.

If you hold Command while dragging, it will drag a copy, and leave the original in place.
Is this what you mean?
On PC, the selection with I shape is shift + alt.
Adding and removing tracks is Strg + click.

It works okay when I only highlight multiple "normal" tracks but to get the chord track or the marker track I have to make some extra click, it seems (I managed to do that before, just not when I was recording).

And to get clear about that, as well:
If I make a selection and copy it onto some other clips, the clips will simply overlap. There is NOT a function where existing clips automatically move to the right and make space for the copied new clip. Is this correct?
DAW : Waveform PRO 12.1.8, 64bit | PC : i5 - 4570, 3,2GHz, LGA1150, Quad-Core | RAM : 8 GB (2x4) Kingston 1333 Mhz | OS : Win 10, 64bit

If you highlight the areas you want, then copy them with Command (or Ctrl) + C, you can use the Ctrl + I keyboard shortcut (rather than Ctrl + V), to do "Paste Inserting".

That will paste *where the playhead cursor is*, and move stuff to the right to accommodate it. So single click to position the playhead cursor where you want, before doing Ctrl + I

Not sure about copying the marker and chord track sections tbh
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

I tried the "paste insert" command. It mostly works.
The difficulty is how and where to click with the playhead cursor.

1)
In the example from the screen cature I wanted to insert the copied files on the same tracks as the original ones. That didn't work at first. Files where inserted on other tracks.

What is the logic there?
Are the copied files inserted on that track where I clicked last to position the cursor?

2)
Then, I had a problem to position the playhead cursor EXACTLY on the grit.
That can be seen on the second screen capture.
For this, it seems that I have found the solution.
With Snapping > Snap cursor movement it seems to work as expected.

One more thought:
As seen, "paste insert" does work and moves other files to the right.
This is not the case for e.g. key changes in the Markers area, they stay at their old position. Not a big thing, but one has to know that and adapt them manually.

Just wanted to add a little update:
Judging by some of the videos for Waveform 11 or 11.5 (like the one below), the arranger track (new in Waveform 11) seems to do what I have been searching and hoping for.
Haven't updated or tried it yet, but surely will.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpDULIn ... entiveGear

Return to “Tracktion”