Troubles with T7 after a Windows update

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Mark Swanson
KVRist
174 posts since 9 Dec, 2016 from Grand Rapids, Michigan USA

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:31 pm

Well, my troubles continue. I am still having way too many dropouts and stopping. And I tried to run Melodyne today and that won't work at all, it used to but now, no way. I even tried loading it on a new project with only one vocal track and nothing else at all, it would not load. I am starting to question if my computer is up to the task, maybe I need more CPU power and this thing is choking....I am at my wits end.
Mark Swanson, guitarist and luthier
Click to visit Swanson Guitars
http://www.MarkSwansonMusic.com

jabe
KVRAF
1730 posts since 9 Oct, 2008 from UK

Re: Troubles with T7 after a Windows update

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:28 pm

It's baffling. I've done playback with T6 on Windows XP and not had the problems you describe. I did have a PC that choked badly a few years ago, but I had alternatives, and I'd only paid a small amount for it from a refurb place.

I know you've done a lot of work trying to get it to behave. There is an option that I'd consider a last resort; Windows 10 has a "factory reset" option (link below). It'll mean you have to resinstall everything, because it will uninstall everything, but it has an option to keep all your data files (including your T7 settings). If the end of your tether is within reach, it may be an option. If it sorts out whatever got screwed by the W10 update, it's happy time again.

Reset W10:
http://www.itpro.co.uk/operating-system ... windows-10
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9, 32&64, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

jabe
KVRAF
1730 posts since 9 Oct, 2008 from UK

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:45 pm

I believe many plug-ins would not require reinstalling if you keep your files.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9, 32&64, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

tovokas
KVRist
253 posts since 9 Sep, 2005 from Washington State. USA

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:43 pm

Do you have another DAW to test on to see if something similar happens? Reaper can be downloaded for free, and it might be worth your while to build a sample project just to narrow things down.

If you have an old external audio interface to swap in, I'd try that too: I wouldn't overlook the possibility that there is a hardware issue involved. At various times I've had motherboards, hard drives, memory sticks, and audio interfaces begin to fail, and in each case the first place they showed up was in audio production. When the failures coincided with a recent software change, it inevitably sent me stumbling down the wrong direction in terms of troubleshooting. (In one incident I screamed up and down how Tracktion was so much less reliable than Reaper, until it turned out that the drive where I stored my Tracktion tunes (but not Reaper's) was failing, causing the difficult to troubleshoot crashes.)

Also, with sadness, because I know how much work is involved getting everything reinstalled, I agree that often the best step when nothing else works is to do a fresh install of Windows. I recently took that course and it fixed some long-standing (and very strange) issues I had been experiencing.

Good luck!

fedexnman
KVRAF
2360 posts since 4 Jan, 2005

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:29 pm

+1 on try Reaper and see what it's does ...

Return to “Tracktion”