Waveform + NI Maschine Routing & Integration

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Bonsai
KVRer
2 posts since 3 Jan, 2018

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:25 am

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hello

I am new to waveform and this forum, so pls. forgive me if i am not using the correct terms and definitions with my question:

(I play/record guitar and voice and would like to add drums + bass + synth via maschine)

Just bought the waveform software and NI maschine mk3. I found a great description how to integrate maschine into cubase DAW:

https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... on.317162/ (https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/tutorial-cubase-maschine-routing-integration.317162/)

Can i achieve the same integration level? I'd really like to use the maschine pads + sounds within the DAW.

(I play/record guitar and voice and would like to add drums + bass + samples via maschine)

Thanks!

chico.co.uk
KVRAF
2368 posts since 17 Jun, 2003

Re: Waveform + NI Maschine Routing & Integration

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:05 pm

Yes, shouldn't be a problem. You probably won't find as good a tutorial for Waveform, and I don't own Maschine, or the hardware, but ...

The basic idea is you want to add the Maschine MK3 as an input, in Waveform, and put it on the left of the track, and scan the Maschine VST plugin (or AU, if you're on Mac. The software). Then add that on the right hand side of the same track. That'll get you more or less to a point where you can hit the pads, and the VST should make sounds. You might need to follow some of the Maschine setup, in the Cubase tutorial, to map pads to the right notes of the scale, or whatever it is he's doing, but you'll get some sound.

Routing the multiple sounds to different outputs is a bit more complicated, but very do-able, but get to a point where it's making some sound first, then routing the different sounds to different outputs would come next.

To be a bit more specific ... Check under Settings / Midi Devices in Waveform, that the Maschine hardware shows up there, after you plug it into your laptop, and install any drivers it needs. Check there's a green "Enabled" tick next to it, and not a red "Disabled" cross. If it shows "disabled", just click the cross to enable it.

If you get that far okay, open up a new project, and go to the edit page in Waveform, and under where it says "Track 1", there's a blank arrow shape. Left click that, and you should get options to add an input. Choose the one that's same name as your Maschine Hardware, on the settings page. Click the red circle to arm it to record.

Back on the Settings tab, under Plugins, add the folder where the Maschine VST got installed to, and choose "Scanning and Sorting", then "Scan for new or updated VST plugins" and possible also "Scan for new or updated VST3 plugins". Make sure Maschine then shows in the list after that step.

Back to your edit tab for your new project, on Track 1, where you have the Maschine input armed, look over to the right, where the volume icon is for that track. Drag the little grey arrow, up near the top right of the page, to the left of that volume icon, and drop it there, you should get a menu, where you can choose the Maschine software, as a plugin on that track. The gui should open automatically, if it doesn't, double click it to open.

Then probably follow some of the steps in the cubase video.

Sorry that's a bit crap and wordy. There's probably some better vids i could link to, if i wasn't done in with the cold
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Bonsai
KVRer
2 posts since 3 Jan, 2018

Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:00 am

Thanks a lot!

I will give it a try and let you know how it went!

cheers

chico.co.uk
KVRAF

Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:17 pm

You want to end up with a track that looks a bit like this ;
maschine.JPG
Over on the left of the first track, where it says "MK3", that's your input, your hardware controller, the Maschine MK3 pad thing.
Over on the right of the same track, where it says "Maschine", that's the Maschine plugin, your VST or AU software that you installed, that makes the sounds.

If you get it set up looking like that, you're likely to get noise out of it.

The names might be different, when you do it, it might not call them "MK3" or "Maschine", i just mocked that up with other stuff I have installed, as an example. I dunno what they get called, cos I don't own Maschine. Is it good? Looks like it should be ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

8BitMeltdown
KVRer
2 posts since 16 Jan, 2018

Post Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:44 am

I have machine setup just like this and I am showing a signal, but when I hit record it does not record anything. Can you advise?

I am running maschine mikro.

Thanks!

DavyNix
KVRist
41 posts since 3 Jan, 2019

Post Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:10 am

Right, I'm resurrecting this post as I’m set to try this myself tonight. Anybody who owns this combination of maschine and Waveform, please feel free to add any notes. For me I want the individual sounds from the group to route to separate tracks...again, NI have chosen Cubase as the example, so I’m good with the Machine setup, just need figure out the WF side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExKvtTe ... ploademail

Do you think i'd need to add the VST to each track in WF that I’m outputting a maschine sound too?

chico.co.uk
KVRAF

Post Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:56 am

Wrap Maschine in a rack filter, then add that rack filter to multiple tracks, and route different outputs from the Rack to different tracks, inside the rack filter.

Basically look for info on multiple out VSTs, using rack filters

DavyNix
KVRist
41 posts since 3 Jan, 2019

Post Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:34 pm

Thanks Chico, much appreciated as always :) Just needed to know what to look for!

For anybody who comes across this in the future it's p.430 of the WF 10 manual - really easy to follow.

So a simple setup where maschine is routing out 2 sounds to 2 separate tracks looks like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tracktion”