as i like to have Parallel compression on my drums/FX for vocals etc

Thanks

fde101
KVRist
130 posts since 16 Mar, 2017

Re: How to send/create a Aux?

Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:24 am

There are several ways to do this.

You can use a subgroup track to group the tracks and put a plugin on the subgroup then use a "mix" control to blend with plugin with the original sound. This does limit the nesting structure somewhat but for some use cases might be simpler than trying to deal with the aux.

You can use a plugin rack, which is a bit more work to set up but provides a massive amount of flexibility in how sound gets routed.

Or, you can use the aux send/return plugins, the more direct answer to what you are asking. They are added just like any other plugin, and used in combination. Create a track to act as the "fx bus" containing the compressor and put the aux return plugin at the start of that track. In the settings for the plugin, select the bus it should take its sound from. On each track that you want to send sound to the bus, add an aux send plugin at the point you want to tap the sound from (to the left of the pan/volume plugin if you want pre-fader or to the right if you want post-fader), select the bus it should feed sound into (match the one on the return track), and set the desired send level.

nanosurge
KVRer
2 posts since 9 May, 2019

Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Thank you i have set up the aux way and works great.

Shame it is only 32 buses to set up fx and so on. I haven't tried the patcher (is it like patcher from fl studio? where you can load up plugins/route things?), right now i have to set up big folder for my sub mixes where i just change all my drums output location to track called drums etc.

i just goto get used to the workflow i guess lol,

fde101
KVRist
130 posts since 16 Mar, 2017

Post Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:49 am

That doesn't seem particularly limiting to me. Analog consoles rarely have that many, and even digital mixing consoles usually don't have that many. You can use a plugin rack to simulate having more busses (I'm guessing that is what you mean by "patcher", though I am not familiar with FL studio - never tried it - so can't comment on that one), and in some cases a submix folder will do just fine; neither of those options consumes a bus.

For a submix folder, you can select the tracks you want in the folder, right-click on one of their track headers and select "Create submix track containing" - this places the tracks underneath a folder that can be collapsed and expanded to save screen space, but more significantly, the submix track has its own mixer section where you can place additional plugins. The output of the individual tracks gets mixed together and sent into the submix track, then you can place plugins there to apply them to the mixed sound. If the plugins are NOT the built-in ones and do not have their own "mix %" control, the Tracktion DAW actually provides a pair of level controls that allows you to mix the sound coming into the plugin with the sound coming out of it, in effect adding a plugin mix control to practically every plugin which is not integrated into the DAW itself.

Plugin racks are a bit more complicated because of the flexibility they offer. Basically, when you "duplicate" the rack onto multiple tracks, the sound entering and leaving the rack for each of those tracks can be independently routed as connections within the rack - the plugins within the rack are shared among all of the tracks that show the rack in their mixer section. There are many ways to configure a rack to behave like an extra fx bus, but simply adding a "pass through" rack with its inputs connected to the corresponding outputs to one of the tracks, setting it to 0% wet and 100% dry on that track (so that sound passes through it), then duplicating that onto the other tracks to serve as a "send", will cause the mixed signal from those tracks to wind up at the (wet) output of the rack. Create a track to serve as a return, duplicate the rack onto that track, and set it to 100% wet 0% dry for that track only, placing it at the start of the mixer section, with the desired plugins after that. The rack then acts like an extra bus... though this hardly taps into the potential of what racks are capable of (you can embed multiple plugins within the rack itself and chain and combine them in a wide assortment of different ways). You can adjust the "send levels" into the bus separately for left and right input channels using the "Input Level" controls on the individual rack instances on the tracks where it is serving as a send.

Return to “Tracktion”