Separate monitor mixes

Discussion about: tracktion.com
bburtin
KVRist
177 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from Mountain View, CA

Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:30 am

Has anyone set up separate monitor mixes when recording multiple people with Waveform? I'm trying to get my head around how this would work. My Zoom L-12 has two sets of outs: USB 1-2 and USB 3-4. I guess I could create two tracks for monitoring and add aux sends to every playback track which then send to the monitoring tracks?

Peter Widdicombe
KVRist
387 posts since 29 Aug, 2014

Re: Separate monitor mixes

Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:13 pm

I guess we'd need to know more.

What all are you recording - voice only, or instruments at the same time, and how many simultaneous individuals (or separate groupings)?
Do you want them to hear each other, just their own slightly louder in their mix?

bburtin
KVRist

Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:36 pm

Thanks Peter. Let's say I'm recording 2 people, and want them to hear different monitor mixes. So one person would want more bass in their mix, the other wants doesn't want to hear the backup vocals, etc.

I may be overthinking it. The L-12 has this amazing ability to do up to 5 separate monitor mixes, but I believe this feature only applies to the live inputs, not tracks being played back from the DAW. That's likely good enough for what I'm doing this week. I was just curious if anyone else has thought about doing separate playback mixes for monitoring.

fde101
KVRist
130 posts since 16 Mar, 2017

Post Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:01 am

You can do this the same way it would be done from a mixing console. Create empty tracks somewhere that are routed to the monitor mix outputs for however many monitor mixes you need and place an aux return on each, dedicating an aux bus to each mix. Use aux sends on the tracks that they are interested in hearing to feed audio from the individual tracks to those monitor mix tracks at whatever levels you want them to have in the monitors.

bburtin
KVRist

Post Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:48 am

Thanks! That's along the lines of what I was thinking.

Return to “Tracktion”