Selecting section of audio in a track/clip

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
Can anyone tell how to select a section of audio,
by dragging the pointer over the required area,
(ie similier to how you select midi notes in a clip)
if that its possible in W10.
Many thanks
Windows 10 / Intel core i7 2700k @ 3.50GHz / 16GB Ram / Emu 1212m Sound Card / Ati Radeon HD5400 Series G/Card

I don't believe so. What do you want to do with it when it's selected?
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

You could split the audio track or truncate the track to just that section, of course, depending on what you wanted to do with it.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Thanks Jabe /Watchful,
I thought it wasn't possible, which is a shame, saw it used in, I think pro tools.
@Watchful, that's basically what I've been doing, but would be so much easier to drag across the area of audio you want to edit. In my case its to use clip gain on vocals. Just been doing some work for a mate who recorded his vocals at home and his mic/vocal technique is not great. The levels were all over the place. It Would have been easier to record the vocal again,but unfortunately that option was out of the question.
Thanks for the info.
Maybe TSC could add this function in the not too distant future.
Windows 10 / Intel core i7 2700k @ 3.50GHz / 16GB Ram / Emu 1212m Sound Card / Ati Radeon HD5400 Series G/Card

You could add automation to the track and adjust the volume that way (assuming I've interpreted clip gain correctly).
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

I'll give that a try, if the problem comes up again.
Some of the vocal audio was nearly filling the clip then other parts were barely visible? God know what he was up to. It was rather time consuming splitting the clips then adjust the gain.
Thanks for the replies.

Was this before or after putting compression on the track? That can help even out his volume a lot!

I had 2 compressors on it but the difference between the loud and quiet as too big. So did as you described earlier split the clips then brought louder parts down, and the quieter parts up and then added some compression.

Good call. That's a good technique.

terrynoakes wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:21 am Hi,
Many thanks
First of all, I own Waveform and was surprised to hear that it could not do what you require.

But I also own Cubase and Studio Pro and I have just tried both to see if they can do this. I booted Cubase, recorded four bars,tried to highlight an area, and no go. I then tried Studio One, and can confirm it does this with ease. Just highlight the required area and drag and drop below the track. It then creates a new track with the clip.

It seems like a must have feature for Waveform to implement at some stage. :)

dellboy wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:15 am
terrynoakes wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:21 am Hi,
Many thanks
First of all, I own Waveform and was surprised to hear that it could not do what you require.

But I also own Cubase and Studio Pro and I have just tried both to see if they can do this. I booted Cubase, recorded four bars,tried to highlight an area, and no go. I then tried Studio One, and can confirm it does this with ease. Just highlight the required area and drag and drop below the track. It then creates a new track with the clip.

It seems like a must have feature for Waveform to implement at some stage. :)
This would be a handy feature to have for audio, you can do this with midi in W10 and previous iterations. Seems a shame you can't do it for audio too.
It would be great for highlighting an area of audio on a clip you want to edit, without having to set in out markers or splitting the clips.
A real time saver and workflow enhancement I would think.

I just tried it with Bitwig, and predictsbly it accomplishes the task with ease.

But if you want this feature for nothing download Bandlab Sonar. Highlight the section of audio and drag below to make a new track with the clip. Also, if you create a midi track you can drag the clip onto that and it will convert it to midi. Not bad for free.

a feature request for a function like terrynoakes is looking for stands for a looooong time now ...
could be such a workflow-speedup!

i hope something like this this comes sooner, not later. it's about time!

Isn’t this what the new Range Tool is for? If you hold down shift and option/alt, you can drag over a region. Then if you move your mouse to the top of a clip, you get a hand icon, and you can either click, to chop out a new region based on the range, or you can drag the selection to a new track, which will automatically cut the range out of the old clip.

It doesn’t seem to provide the nifty functionality that Studio One’s range tool does for working with automation envelopes, (you can drag up and down to only effect the selected range), but it does make it easy to create separate clips that you can then quickly modify.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Radeon Pro 580 8 GB
Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Waveform 11 Pro/Studio One Pro 3.5

tovokas wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:43 am Isn’t this what the new Range Tool is for? If you hold down shift and option/alt, you can drag over a region. Then if you move your mouse to the top of a clip, you get a hand icon, and you can either click, to chop out a new region based on the range, or you can drag the selection to a new track, which will automatically cut the range out of the old clip.

Thanks for that, I did look through the short cuts and on internet before posting but couldn't find what you mentioned.
Basically I just want to be able to highlight a section of audio to a adjust the gain or some other manipulation.
Looking for something that doesn't involve having to split clips. Will give your suggestion a try. Thanks again

Return to “Tracktion”