BR: Can't register Essentials plugins in Ubuntu Linux 19.10

Discussion about: tracktion.com
rhydermike
KVRist
52 posts since 4 Nov, 2016 from UK

Post Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:51 am

This is a point that I brought up at the beginning of the year (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=518181). It doesn't seem to be possible to register the Essentials plugins on a reasonably modern Ubuntu distro. I suspect that this is cURL related in some way, but I can't be sure of that.

To recreate:
Install Tracktion Waveform on a recent 64bit Ubuntu installation.
Install the Essentials plugins into a directory on your hard drive.
Point Waveform to the plugins directory in the settings tab.
In the main tab of a new project, find one of the Essentials plugins and drag it onto a track plugin area.

Result:
Instant crash of Waveform (similar results in Qtractor or Ardour).

For some reason, when run in a VM, the plugins don't get that far because they simply show up red in the plugins page on the settings tab.

Last time around, I was able to momentarily bring up one of the plugins in QTractor in order to register it, but I haven't been able to get that working this time. I've been chopping and changing my machines around of late, so this means that the plugins have failed to get as far as allowing the GUI to be opened in Waveform across two completely different machines (Ubuntu 18.10 in Feb and Ubuntu 19.10 recently) and within three different VirtualBox VMs (Ubuntu 18.10, 19.10 and 16.04). This makes me think that it's a universal problem for all Linux users, but it hasn't been reported yet as no one else has done a fresh installation recently. As before, at the beginning of the year, I can use projects with the Essentials plugins, but the GUI cannot be opened without causing a crash.

It seems that the most recent Ubuntu has versions of Libcurl4 and Libcurl3 installed simultaneously. I have also tried installing cURL itself to see if that made any difference.

Code: Select all

libcurl4:
  Installed: 7.65.3-1ubuntu3
  Candidate: 7.65.3-1ubuntu3
  Version table:
 *** 7.65.3-1ubuntu3 500
        500 http://mirror.1000mbps.com/ubuntu eoan/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

libcurl3-gnutls:
  Installed: 7.65.3-1ubuntu3
  Candidate: 7.65.3-1ubuntu3
  Version table:
 *** 7.65.3-1ubuntu3 500
        500 http://mirror.1000mbps.com/ubuntu eoan/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

dRowAudio
KVRian
1497 posts since 30 Dec, 2012

Re: BR: Can't register Essentials plugins in Ubuntu Linux 19.10

Post Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:10 am

That's odd. We load the curl symbols dynamically so it should work with either version providing they haven't broken any ABI or changed the headers (which is possible I guess).

Can I ask if you've been able to unlock Collective (or BioTek etc.) on those machines? They should be configured in the same way.

rhydermike
KVRist

Post Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:37 am

I've just tried it. It popped up the "contacting Tracktion..." message box and then unlocked as expected.

Kott
KVRist
97 posts since 12 Mar, 2013 from Russia, Vladivostok

Post Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:25 pm

I have no such problem, but it's on different distro and not clean fresh install of Tracktion software.
You may run Waveform with strace and/or gdb to figure out where it crashes

rhydermike
KVRist

Post Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:33 am

Kott wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:25 pm
I have no such problem, but it's on different distro and not clean fresh install of Tracktion software.
You may run Waveform with strace and/or gdb to figure out where it crashes
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get Waveform 10 to start up under GDB this time around. I ran it under GDB when I was having this problem in February and I detailed the output in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=518181

Waveform was running on this machine until last week when I did a reinstall. According to my experience on the other machine in Feb, it's the registration process that is causing the crash.

Kott
KVRist

Post Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:14 pm

So, problem is in Waveform9 and Ubuntu >= 18.10?
I haven't such setup but can do it for test. For a while You can try it in carla --gdb and pluginval tool from Tracktion: https://github.com/Tracktion/pluginval

rhydermike
KVRist

Post Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:21 pm

Kott wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:14 pm
So, problem is in Waveform9 and Ubuntu >= 18.10?
Waveform10 also exhibits the problem.
I haven't such setup but can do it for test. For a while You can try it in carla --gdb and pluginval tool from Tracktion: https://github.com/Tracktion/pluginval
Running Carla --gdb allows me to load in the plugin, but it still crashes when I try to open the GUI.

This is the output:

Thread 20 "UpdateChecker" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0x7fffca7fc700 (LWP 6011)]
0x00007fffd059ab96 in ?? () from /home/killermike/music/vsts/DAW Essentials Collection/#TPhaser.so
Of course, Carla enables you to open the non-native GUI, which works, but you can't register from that as far as I can see.

Kott
KVRist

Post Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:56 am

I've run Waveform 9.3.6 in Ubuntu 18.04.3 with DAW Essentials. No crashes.
Though, I didn't try to register, but it loads plugins without problem

rhydermike
KVRist

Post Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:56 am

Kott wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:56 am
I've run Waveform 9.3.6 in Ubuntu 18.04.3 with DAW Essentials. No crashes.
Though, I didn't try to register, but it loads plugins without problem
That's interesting. Can you open the GUI for the plugin?

As I say, I've had this problem on two completely different machines on different versions of Ubuntu. In addition, I've not been able to load the plugins at all on three different VMs (with Waveform in demo mode).

Kott
KVRist

Post Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:35 pm

Yes, I can open GUI.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rhydermike
KVRist

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:43 pm

Kott wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:35 pm
Yes, I can open GUI.
That's interesting. There may be a difference between a fresh installation and an older one? As I say, I've gone back as far as Ubuntu 16.04 (fully updated) without success in a VM.

Kott
KVRist

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:58 pm

It's fresh install.
You said:
plugins have failed to get as far as allowing the GUI to be opened in Waveform across two completely different machines (Ubuntu 18.10 in Feb and Ubuntu 19.10 recently)
Is that on different machines, I mean hardware, or in the same CPU/MB/RAM?

rhydermike
KVRist

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:17 pm

Kott wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:58 pm
It's fresh install.
You said:
plugins have failed to get as far as allowing the GUI to be opened in Waveform across two completely different machines (Ubuntu 18.10 in Feb and Ubuntu 19.10 recently)
Is that on different machines, I mean hardware, or in the same CPU/MB/RAM?
These are different hardware. The first machine that I reinstalled from scratch was an old CoreDuo with 4GB of RAM. The audio hardware was two M-Audio 24/96 PCI soundcards. Waveform + Essentials (and other Linux DAWs) was working properly on that machine before I installed an SSD and reinstalled. On that machine, I somehow got it working long enough in QTractor to register the plugin.

The second machine is an i5 with 8GB of RAM. The sound hardware in use on that machine is a Lexicon Alpha USB audio interface. Again, everything worked fine before I installed an SSD drive and reinstalled Ubuntu. Now Waveform works okay, but the Essentials plugins crash as soon as I try to open the GUI. This is true in Ardour, Carla stand-alone and QTractor.

The Essentials plugins are also shown as as red on the settings page in two different Ubuntu VMs as it was back in Feb, bringing the total to three VMs in total where the plugins don't work at all on a fresh 64 bit Ubuntu installation.

Unfortunately, the Waveform plugin validation facility has never worked for me in Linux.

dRowAudio
KVRian
1497 posts since 30 Dec, 2012

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:36 am

Do you think it's maybe that curl just doesn't come installed by default? (It's odd because looking at your libcurls, one of those should work).

If you type

curl --version
from the Terminal, do you get any output?
If so, maybe it's just not finding your libcurl.so because it's not in your system libraries?

I'd like to help with this but we can't replicate it and others seem to be using Waveform ok in Ubuntu...

rhydermike
KVRist

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:07 pm

dRowAudio wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:36 am
If you type

curl --version
from the Terminal, do you get any output?
If so, maybe it's just not finding your libcurl.so because it's not in your system libraries?
This is the output.

curl 7.65.3 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.65.3 OpenSSL/1.1.1c zlib/1.2.11 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) libssh/0.9.0/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.39.2 librtmp/2.3
Release-Date: 2019-07-19
Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps ldap ldaps pop3 pop3s rtmp rtsp scp sftp smb smbs smtp smtps telnet tftp 
Features: AsynchDNS GSS-API HTTP2 HTTPS-proxy IDN IPv6 Kerberos Largefile libz NTLM NTLM_WB PSL SPNEGO SSL TLS-SRP UnixSo
For the time being, I've found a work-around of sorts by reverting to Essentials 1.0.25. This lets me register. Unfortunately, installing the lastest version afterwards doesn't work. So, it's 1.0.25 for the time being on this machine.

Return to “Tracktion”