Transfer of MIDI files to Presonus notion fails

Discussion about: tracktion.com
harvon
KVRist
62 posts since 1 Oct, 2019

Post Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:18 am

The transfer of midi files from waveform 10.4.2 free to notion 6 demo doesn't happen properly. Explanation of a little test follows:

I open a score file - three staves - in musescore 3 and export it as midi.

In notion I import said midi. All is well, it is imported right, looks right and plays right.

In waveform I import said midi too, all is well, it is imported right, looks right except some empty tracks - happens often with musescore midis - and plays right. Then I delete the empty tracks and export the meaninful tracks as midi.

In notion I import the midi made by waveworm. The notes of three three tracks are now in one track, much is missing and the playback sounds unregognizable.

I don't know if this is a notion or waveform issue. The notion opened some internet midi files without trouble however.

fromwithin
KVRist
307 posts since 1 Jun, 2005 from Liverpool, UK

Re: Transfer of MIDI files to Presonus notion fails

Post Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:51 am

Are you sure that those "empty tracks" are actually empty? They might control and program changes in them.
Quad core AMD x4 955. Windows 10 (1809). Komplete Audio 6. Waveform 10.3.6 64-bit.

Stuttaton
KVRist
426 posts since 24 Jan, 2004 from Sweden

Post Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:48 am

Try exporting one track at a time.

harvon
KVRist

Post Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:29 am

The empty tracks contain some basic controllers like volume, pan, bank selector but no note data, and they are named with instruments that are not used in the composition.

Importing midi file containing only one track gives the same garbage in notion that I described before.

I can do waveform -> musescore -> notion but such kludges can only be temporary solutions.

Stuttaton
KVRist
426 posts since 24 Jan, 2004 from Sweden

Post Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:15 pm

Maybe Notion has a problem? I'm exporting from Waveform to EasyABC and the other way round, without problems. I too get the empty tracks when importing to Waveform.

harvon
KVRist

Post Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:54 pm

The presonus studio one prime v4.60 aint fully compatible with waveform either. It puts all the notes of the three tracks in midi file from waveform to one track but plays it otherwise all right.

EDIT

While looking at tools that best suit my working style I found: With cubase 10.5 elements trial the same happens as with studio one prime.

yeah

Return to “Tracktion”