Does Waveform Have a Monitor Bus

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Tao Tone
KVRer
14 posts since 25 Nov, 2019

Post Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:55 am

Can someone tell me if Waveform has a 'monitor' bus? I mean that is separate from the 'master' bus. I use monitoring plugins such as room eq etc on my monitor bus that I do not want on the master. Does Waveform facilitate this?

Steve Bolivar
KVRian
610 posts since 25 Aug, 2006

Re: Does Waveform Have a Monitor Bus

Post Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:35 am

I think you could just create a new bus and put sends to it on all your tracks. That bus would have your monitoring plugins. You then only have to choose the audio interface outputs you want it to feed.

exponent1
KVRist
358 posts since 10 Nov, 2018 from India

Post Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:17 pm

I'm afraid Waveform 10 doesn't have a monitor bus to the best of my knowledge. I could recommend a workaround by creating a monitoring plugin rack and putting it on your master, and disable it when you are exporting/rendering your audio. That's what I've been doing with my Morphit and Waves NX monitoring plugins.

spoontechnique
KVRist
190 posts since 7 May, 2018

Post Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:55 pm

A monitor bus would be an amazing feature to see in W11, though. I wonder what considerations have been made against implementing it.

Tao Tone
KVRer

Post Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:39 am

OK thank you all for the replies. For me a monitor bus is essential but only in the mixing stage. I use room correction software and need to have it permanently on the monitor bus. I know there are workarounds and I will look at them but I prefer it that my DAW loads up with everything in place as default. I can't always rely on my ageing memory to remember to turn things of before rendering.

I will still take a look at Waveform 11 when it is released. I am interested in some of the features it has for writing but it looks like I may end up exporting and mixing in another DAW but that is ok I am used to that. I like to mix Harrison.

Trancit
KVRAF
2539 posts since 27 Jul, 2004

Post Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:50 am

There your choice is quite limited...

With Monitor Bus for sure:
- Cubase
- Nuendo
- Reaper

Not so sure:
- Logic
- Pro Tools
- Cakewalk

No monitoring Bus:
- Studio One
- Ableton
- Bitwig
- FL Studio
- Mulab
- Waveform
- and all the others... :)

while most of the "not so sure" and "no monitoring bus" can mimic this behaviour by using Melda´s MCompare...
Disadvantage of this method: it doubles the latency!!

dayvyg
KVRist
39 posts since 23 Mar, 2015

Post Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:55 pm

As Tao Tone implied, Mixbus/Ardour have a monitor bus as well.

Rock
KVRian
1228 posts since 11 Apr, 2002 from Nashville, TN

Post Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:15 am

I think you could accomplish this with racks pretty easily.

Rock
KVRian
1228 posts since 11 Apr, 2002 from Nashville, TN

Post Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:59 pm

You might try adding a rack to the master bus that does not feed back into the final mix. Terminate the chain containing your EQ with a VST program that routes to a hardware output, such as Voxengo Recorder. You may also need to add a latency compensation to the other route if you want them tightly in sync.

Second option might be to route your EQ'ed signal back to a regular track. I have doubts if this will work because even when the tracks are sent to outputs other than those feeding the final mix, they seem to have an effect on the final. But it might be worth a try if you do not find the first method works for you.

Tao Tone
KVRer

Post Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:08 am

Rock wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:59 pm
You might try adding a rack to the master bus that does not feed back into the final mix. Terminate the chain containing your EQ with a VST program that routes to a hardware output, such as Voxengo Recorder. You may also need to add a latency compensation to the other route if you want them tightly in sync.

This would work. A bit of a faff but good enough. Is it possible to save the rack as a preset that can be loaded automatically with each new project?

exponent1
KVRist
358 posts since 10 Nov, 2018 from India

Post Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:13 am

Tao Tone wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:08 am
Is it possible to save the rack as a preset that can be loaded automatically with each new project?
Yes, you can save any rack as a preset and load it to any project. To have it load automatically, you probably should create edit templates.

Return to “Tracktion”