What do you like vs don't like about snapping in Waveform?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Edit: I am aware that you can move the play cursor in the MIDI editor. But if I'm halfway through a long clip, I don't want to go back to the start of the clip to drag it all the way down. I want to be able to cursor position and loop markers from any point in a MIDI clip without exiting it.

Spoontechnique has excellent ideas here, especially about triplets.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

I figured out the issue with snapping and tempo automation. When you use Tempo Automation, the ends of step and midi clips either extend or fall short of the grid, which pushes clips later down the line out of sync. I'm not yet sure if it happens with any tempo automation or when tempo automation is combined with the "Insert Space" commands.

Edit: Arranger actions (Move and Copy) seem to also cause the issue, and it can affect marker and arranger clips as well as step/midi clips.

spoontechnique wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:09 pm Edit: I am aware that you can move the play cursor in the MIDI editor. But if I'm halfway through a long clip, I don't want to go back to the start of the clip to drag it all the way down. I want to be able to cursor position and loop markers from any point in a MIDI clip without exiting it.
On windows you got an (unusual) hotkey for that:
alt + middle click = This will set the play head to the current cursor position if you are in the midi editor. i + o will set the in and out markers, double click + drag on the midi editor time line will do this as well.
maybe there is more I haven't found yet.

I would highly appreciate a function:
"split all selected notes at cursor snap position".
Basically the identical split the arranger offers for clips but in this case for notes. This will speed up the workflow of making fast grooves out of existing chords.

"modify -> split notes" just cuts notes in half. There isn't a way to set the splitting point.

Other daws support this by offering "knife tools". Some of them got a modifier to split notes based on the quantize/grid settings onwards. Example: drawing long notes; select the notes; split + modifier = create 1/8 notes onwards.

astey wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:56 pm I would highly appreciate a function:
"split all selected notes at cursor snap position".
Basically the identical split the arranger offers for clips but in this case for notes. This will speed up the workflow of making fast grooves out of existing chords.

"modify -> split notes" just cuts notes in half. There isn't a way to set the splitting point.

Other daws support this by offering "knife tools". Some of them got a modifier to split notes based on the quantize/grid settings onwards. Example: drawing long notes; select the notes; split + modifier = create 1/8 notes onwards.
Speaking of cuts.
FL Studio got the best Cut Tool I know of.
It's a rotating line that cuts audio and midi that cross the line:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5occOx5kPeM

What allows Fl Studios cut tool to do in the midi department? Why is it a great tool?
  • Cuts cords into arpeggios fast.
  • Creates thrills quickly.
  • Creates rhythmical chords.
  • Creates tonal risers of existing notes.
How can this be applied in Waveform?

The line tool can become a knife/cut tool by holding a modifier key. Holding ctrl/cmd will turn the line tool into a slice/cutting tool. (Right now ctrl & shift aren't used in the midi editor.)

How could be Waveform's line tool be superior to FL Studios cutting tool?
  • Holding ctrl/cmd will turn the line tool into a vertical cutting tool
  • Holding ctrl/cmd + shift will unlock tilting of the line tool. so cuts for arpeggios and thrills can be created.
  • Releasing shift will lock the line tool to the current angle, so notes can be cut consistently to create multiple identical arpeggios
  • End points snap to the grid

Waveform allows me to set a custom note length to 1/5ths of a beat which is exactly 192 ticks(it even acknowledges that it's a 1/5th of a beat), but when I add 5 of these notes they fall short of the beat WTF(!?). With Reaper, I can set the note length and the grid length to quintuplets and everything lines up properly. This is obviously a bug. I would definitely like the option of having a fixed grid which I can customize to whatever divisions I like in addition to all the usual ones.

To the original question: How about double snapping? To have both snaping (to note lenght AND to the grid) toggled on at the same time. Note ends would then snap to the nearest possition.
And another topic regarding the MIDI editor: A feature I miss everywhere is Reaper's feature of moving end and start of two adjacent (legato) notes using one click. When I point the cursor right between those two notes, I can drag end of the first note and start of the second one at the same time. The first gets shorter, the second one longer and vice versa. I really don't like Reaper, but this particular feature is simple, amazing and I didn't find it anywhere else.
Waveform 12 Pro, Cubase Pro 13, Windows 11, i7-13700H

Return to “Tracktion”