Setup/recording for external MIDI gear?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dynamo wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:38 pm Luckily I have an audio interface with 8 analog inputs. I got it so I can for instance record all 8 individual outputs from my drum machine in one pass. Then repatch the synth hardware into the audio interface so I can record 8 new sound sources (multiple synths etc.) while syncing to the internal MIDI clock.
That's something I look forward to and haven't been able to do in the past (having no recording gear apart from a stereo tape deck), so this is a dream come true!
I have a midi merge box connected to a midi thru box, where my synths are connected. This way I can play any synth and send midi to the computer, while the computer also can play any synth. All this without having to repatch anything.
https://kentonuk.com/product/merge-4/
https://kentonuk.com/product/thru-12/

Kenton's products are great! Functional and well built.
Good idea to merge -I hadn't thought about that even though my MIDI patchbay can do that too.

I bought it mainly because I wanted a simple way to reroute my synths' OUT ports to the computer (so I could dump sysex patch data to librarian/editor software). Can Waveform accept sysex data dumps? That would be very useful for "capturing" the synth patches used in a project.

Please keep us informed. You've been a lot of fun to talk to.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Likewise! :)
Sure, I'll post back as I get more into it.

Watchful wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:49 pm Please keep us informed. You've been a lot of fun to talk to.
I have gotten a bit further with Waveform recently (much thanks to all the help I've received from this friendly community), having recording with multiple passes, synced with MIDI and added several effects. Here's a screenshot showing what I did. Waveform was frustrating to begin with (as were all the other DAWs I tried it before comitting to Waveform) but now that I understand more of the general concept and getting to actually using it to make music it's getting fun :)

Return to “Tracktion”