'beatboxing' in Tracktion

Discussion about: tracktion.com
rockstar_not
KVRAF
4886 posts since 10 Aug, 2004 from Colorado Springs

Post Sun May 22, 2005 11:58 am

ModulR,

Thanks for the kind words - I have to admit that I read the idea in a different thread here on KVR - but that person hadn't tried it. Consider this just a minor payback for Senderella, which saved my butt more than once in T1 (which I'm still using).

Anyhow, I'm looking at the rack you posted. What is the midi line going into the first KT drum trigger? Does it serve a purpose?

Also, in Koen's description of KT drum trigger, he mentions that he suggests putting pre-recorded music into the module. This would be an easier way to steal beats into midi than other methods I've tried like the 'line up the audio & midi grid' method.

-Scott

BTW, I'm listening to your demo right now - dude, you have WAY more rhythm than me. I wanted to hear more of your vocals to hear what sounds you are making to make the triggers happen.

-Scott

ModuLR
KVRAF
1973 posts since 21 Jun, 2002 from Earth

Post Sun May 22, 2005 1:34 pm

That midi connection has no point.. I think when I wrapped the plug, it autoconnected and I kinda forgot.. or something like that. If you wanna hear the triggers, just download the archive cois it's got the vocal... for the kick it's a "puh" sound (ya know how p's like to make bass pops in microphones)... for the snare it's a "kah" type sound, and for the snare it's a "tss" type sound. Then EQ to make it more drastic before sending it into KT.

I'm telling you.. this is something really major for my working methods! I beatbox stuff all the time... going to lunch, in my car, just random places... might get a little hand held recorder now too as it might prove to be useful as well. Not in a million years would I have ever thought it would come of any legitimate use whatsoever. :love: :D
ModuLR / Radio

rockstar_not
KVRAF

Post Mon May 23, 2005 8:03 am

ModulR,

After loading in your archive, I realized that Equim was not going to be a solution for me since I'm such a cheapskate.

So, I messed around with replacing the Equim instances with T's 4 band parametric EQ's each tuned to your 3 ranges.

I used Voxengo's Span FFT analyzer first to see where the main frequency content was located.

The kick I was able to use everything under 100Hz, the snare was nicely centered at about 2500 Hz, and the hihat was about 7000-8000 Hz.

Now, the archive did not include the sound samples, or I didn't know where to go look for them, so I had to dig out some samples for T.

But I do think I got a working version with everything T based except for KT drum trigger.

I'm thinking that Mod, you might be able to code up something slick for this that has less fiddly controls than Koen's offering (which almost has too many controls).

If you took the filtering out of KT's trigger and made it just shoot out one midi note, you could use some stacked T Parametric EQ's out in front to do the signal frequency range separation - put 2 or 3 Parametric EQ's in series tuned to the same frequency to get more attenuation outside of the range.

Then the KT replacement could be almost like a limiter, except instead of limiting audio - it triggers a midi note event.

Well, I thank you for your demo - now I need to learn how to do a better job of my beat boxing and I might just get around the fact that I still want time stretch algo that works in T - so I can use all of my loop cds at other than native tempos.

One more thing that would be cool - add in a tempo 'sense' feature after KT, so that you could control T's tempo and downstream effects like tempo-synced delays.

-Scott
Last edited by rockstar_not on Mon May 23, 2005 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ModuLR
KVRAF

Post Mon May 23, 2005 8:34 am

interesting idea... I don't know much about dsp type algos compression/limiting/etc but it might be worth an investigation... :D tho there is some stuff on KT that effects retrigger timing, plus the envelope follower is pretty critical to getting the timing right too. BTW, the samples should be included in the file... they are .ogg's... and should be in the directory where you extracted the archive. :)
ModuLR / Radio

Lunch Money
KVRAF
12977 posts since 29 Sep, 2003 from Ottawa, Canada

Post Mon May 23, 2005 1:25 pm

Well, we have some folks on "staff" over at Betabugs who know about compressors and limiters. You're welcome to stop by and chat it up with us, no obligation-- it'd still be a Subminimal plug. ;)

Of course, that's easy for me to say since I'm not one of the coders whose brains you'd pick, but others include Paul_FX, duncanparsons, and Christian Budde, all of whom are very friendly.

Greg

ModuLR
KVRAF

Post Mon May 23, 2005 4:36 pm

Maybe I can asked them for some assistance LM... tho I honestly feel more inclined to see of koen could simply make a more modular version that has 3 inputs that feed each channel in KT DrumTigger.. call me LLAAZZYY! :D :hihi:
ModuLR / Radio

Lunch Money
KVRAF
12977 posts since 29 Sep, 2003 from Ottawa, Canada

Post Mon May 23, 2005 5:43 pm

Plus, if you keep it with Koen, maybe a new version will help attract more donors to his softs. Not a bad thing at all. :D

Greg

ModuLR
KVRAF

Post Mon May 23, 2005 6:26 pm

I've put in the request to Koen.. I'll wait and see what he says... :D I've got another idea for a seperate plug that analyzes the amplitude of the raw signal and then adjusts the velocity of the midi signal coming from KT. Something more fine tuned than what's in KT already. Gotta think a bit more tho.. I really love this thing tho! :)
ModuLR / Radio

sweet_trip
KVRian
1017 posts since 25 Apr, 2002

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:09 am

OMG, how did I miss this thread!

rockstar_not
KVRAF

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:07 am

sweet_trip,

Welcome a year late.

Boom - check - sist - boom

-Scott

rockstar_not
KVRAF

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:11 am

By the way, isn't this method the same as the heart of what that pricey 'Drumagog' does in the end?

-Scott

DaveL60
KVRian
855 posts since 14 Apr, 2004 from Maryland, USA

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:33 am

I see there's an update to KTDrumTrigger as of 8 August 2006. I gotta find some time to play with this stuff.

DaveL
You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge.
-- Rush Show Don't Tell

Scooner
KVRist
231 posts since 9 May, 2005

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:38 am

Cool thread :!:
I just had a look at the Koen Tanghe website for Drum Trigger; what's the difference between the two downloads?

Am at work atm, can't download.....
Cheers,
Scooner

rockstar_not
KVRAF

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:44 am

The two downloads are basically the same. One is a self-extracting archive (the .exe file) and the other is a zip file of the files.

That's all the difference that there is as far as I can tell.

-Scott

KoenTanghe
KVRist
122 posts since 7 Jan, 2003 from Ghent, Belgium

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:04 am

Hi!
- About the difference between the .zip and .exe Windows versions: the .exe is an installer (for people who like that), the .zip is just an archive of the same files (the "do-it-yourself installer" ;-) )
- Main differences with drumagog: KTDT was meant to extract different types of triggers from a single audio stream by splitting up the sound with the filters. It seems like Drumagog is meant to be used as a drum replacer on a single track and has a built-in sampler. Of course you can use KTDT on a sound stream that only has a single type of sound as well, but it might be that Drumagogs triggering is more suited for this setup maybe?
Have fun!

Return to “Tracktion”