'beatboxing' in Tracktion

Discussion about: tracktion.com
KVRAF

Topic Starter

4906 posts since 10 Aug, 2004 from Colorado Springs

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:37 am

Koen,

Cool to see you posting here. Thanks for KT Drum Trigger. It's a load of fun.

-Scott

KVRer
21 posts since 6 Oct, 2005

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:32 am

Just saw this thread for the first time and have been trying to get it to work with ModulR's archive, but unfortunately Eqium has been discontinued so I can't even get the demo version to see how everything fits together. I've tried with the Tracktion parametric EQ, the Nyquist EQ and some different samples but something is wrong somewhere.

rockstar_not wrote
But I do think I got a working version with everything T based except for KT drum trigger.
Any chance you could post an archive of this to be used as a starting point?

Thanks,

Skid

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:10 am

skid wrote:Just saw this thread for the first time and have been trying to get it to work with ModulR's archive, but unfortunately Eqium has been discontinued so I can't even get the demo version to see how everything fits together. I've tried with the Tracktion parametric EQ, the Nyquist EQ and some different samples but something is wrong somewhere.

rockstar_not wrote
But I do think I got a working version with everything T based except for KT drum trigger.
Any chance you could post an archive of this to be used as a starting point?

Thanks,

Skid
Skid,

I'll have to start a new one from scratch. The one I did in the post here was on an old machine that right now is dead.

You can also replace the Equim filters with a very simple set of band pass filters. Recommendations: GVST's Gband, or the Crayon Filter from Betabugs. You can even increase the roll-off of these filters by putting a couple of them in series.

Let's say you wanted to have a band that really concentrated on 1000Hz (think the vocal formant when you say 'ah', or 'pop'). Well, make a band pass filter with 1000 Hz as the center frequency, and then put a copy of that filter right behind it. Putting the 2 band pass filters in series has the effect of increasing the rolloff in the stop band.

-Scott

KVRer

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:01 am

Thanks Scott.

I'll give that a try as soon as I get a chance. I had wondered if band pass filters might be easier to set up than an EQ, but hadn't actually tried it yet. I'm really looking forward to getting this working - I think it would be a great creativity enhancer and timesaver.

cheers,

skid

KVRist
128 posts since 7 Jan, 2003 from Ghent, Belgium

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:19 am

Hi again,
just a question: did you try with the built-in bandpass filter in KTDT (maybe increasing the Q-factor parameter to sharpen the frequency response peak) or the lowpass or highpass? The cascading you're talking about is actually being done now in the filter section of the plugin as well (things should be a bit sharper now, although surely the filters still need to be improved...)
Also, on a side note, if I find the time somewhere this week or the next, I'll try to release the "modular" version of KTDT, where each channel has its own audio input, so you can put any kind of external pre-processing in front of the channels. Note that this version will probably only work in hosts that support plugins with multiple audio inputs (like Bidule for example). Don't know how other hosts will handle this (I think Tracktion has some routing flexibility too IIRC)...
Skid: if you like to, you could send me a snippet of the audio you'd like to work with, and I could see if I can get KTDT setup to handle that (see my profile for contact details)?

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:02 am

Koen,

I haven't tried the new version yet (sorry). I did read that you put in steeper response filters. I just haven't had time to try it out.

Yes, I did play with the Q-factors originally but I think the problem that I had was that my mouth-sounds were too broad band to begin with. I'm really not that great of a beat-boxer; ModulR is much better at it. I just wanted to try out the idea.

Tracktion should be able to handle the multiple audio inputs without issue, as far as I know.

Thanks for the tool, it is alot of fun to mess around with.

-Scott

KVRer

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:55 pm

Koen,

thanks for responding. I haven't actually tried recording anything to work with yet - I was just trying to get ModulR's archive working. I'll definitely give it a try just using the filters in KTDrumTrigger.

Just got a new amp though, so I might not get to it for a few days...

cheers,

skid

KVRAF
8502 posts since 7 Apr, 2003

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:56 pm

ModuLR wrote:I usually just record some beatboxing, to get some variations and what not.. and then layer a midi clip right over the top to place the notes. It's worked well, but something more interactive like this would be alot more fun. I'm definately gonna give it a try and see how it turns out... very interested in seeing if something decent can be pulled off! :D schweeet!
that's smart idea man. gonna steal it when i get around to making a beat again :)

Return to “Tracktion”