MIDI Program Change for V-Collection 5 synths

Official support for: arturia.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a way to send a program change message to any of the V5 synths? Standard program change or bank msb/lsb cc's, etc? I'm using several plugins in a live situation where I need to automate some program changes. I could just load up several instances of the plugins onto different tracks and mute the ones not being used. However thats not a very efficient use of resources. Some sounds may only run for 4-8 bars during the entire set, so loading the plugin just for that seems a bit resource-wasteful.

I thought that the Playlist feature would allow this with the possibility that each playlist would be assigned a bank number, etc. However the only thing I see mentioned is assigning MIDI CC values to the left-right arrows at the top of the window.. Seems like a real pita if you want to jump between 20-30 programs.

Any ideas? Oh recording the sounds as audio loops, while a possibility, is not what I'm looking to do....some the patches are to be played live.

Tnx
Dave

Nothing? :?:

Submitted a support ticket last Tuesday and no word thru that channel either..

Hey Arturia - you guys on vacation? :shrug:
Dave

I'm not in my studio right now, but I'm pretty sure I tested changing presets in the current playlist by sending program changes from my Axiom keyboard -- and that worked. Haven't tried whether bank change changes playlists though.
pethu.se/music-releases
Not a part of the loudness war!

I heard back from Arturia in response to my tech support request. They said there were some issues wrt receiving program changes causing the plugin sound to stop. I confirmed this is what's happening on my systems with Analog Lab 2. They said they were hoping to address this for the September updates. I got a Modular update last night and program change was working fine in that, but I don't know if it was an issue before or not.
Dave

I went thru the Arturia synths I had...Arp2600, CS80V, JP8V, Mini V, Modular V and Prophet V - and Analog Lab 2, all latest versions. All of them except Analog Lab 2 work with program changes. This is good...glad I put some time aside to confirm this. Hopefully the fix for AL2 will come sooner then later.
Dave

Ages ago I made a recommendation to create a preset-to-MIDI change mapper in their plugins. No idea if they ever took heed.

It's simply impossible, because Arturia VSTi plugins (.dll & .vst3) are developed with Steinberg VST3 SDK v3.6 (it's also true for... VST 2.4 plugins), plus JUICE libraries... It's true for all V Collection 6 plugins, including lastest Analog Lab 3 (about Analog Lab 2, sincerely I don't know, I don't have tested it).

But unfortunately, it was a Steinberg decision :dog:: Program Change and Bank Select MIDI messages aren't supported by VST3 standard (feature was disabled by Steinberg in their SDK). By this way, these MIDI messages are ignored by any VST3-based plugin (QED)

Some developers, such SonicProject for its OP-X PRO-II (64-bit, developed with VST 3.6 SDK as clearly indicated in manual) have implemented a way to select next or previous preset but via a CC (Control Change) MIDI message (from current bank), in order to "bypass" this limitation. However, CC assignment must be done manually (MIDI learn).
Core i9-9900KF @4.5GHz, 32GB RAM, 8TB, RTX 2080, Windows 10 Pro x64, Bitwig Studio 4, REAPER 6, UR22C, BX5-D2, KK S61 MK2, Chromaphone 3, Discovery Pro, DUNE 3, Komplete 13 Select, Mercury-4, OP-X PRO-II, SynthMaster 2, RAPID, VPS Avenger, Scaler 2...

Return to “Arturia”