Walkthrough for using Cream in Sonar Platinum Please

Official support for: kirnuarp.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I've been trying to set Cream up in Sonar without success. In your manual you state videos will be provided for working with the major hosts. I am unable to find any specifically related to using Cream in Sonar. Any links? If not, can you provide a clear walkthrough to assist me in getting Cream correctly configured in Sonar Platinum?

Thanks

Anyone? Does Kirnu moderate this at all? :x

Sorry I missed your post. If you have urgent issues you should contact us via email support at kirnuarp dot com.

I'm sure Cream will work similarly to any MIDI plugin in Sonar. Can you specify what your problem actually is?
You can't route MIDI notes to Cream or you can't route Cream MIDI output to synth instrument? Or something else?

-Arto

Hello, thanks for getting back. I did submit a query to the email support you mentioned but no-one has responded.

Okay, today I opened a midi instrument in Sonar - Hybrid 2 - and as simple instrument. Recorded some midi. I then opened Cream as a simple instrument track. Now from what I gather, you're supposed to feed midi into cream. So I select the 'out' from H2, but there is no out to Cream...only buses and master etc. So I try a 'send' from the track and again no apparent way to route to Cream from there. Same as in Cream, trying to select an 'in' from H2, it doesn't exist. So trying to set it up this way doesn't work in Sonar...at least for me.

Opening up H2 as a midi source. 'In' is Omni, 'out' is to cream. That seems to get midi in to Cream...just no sounds. Okay, Cream 'in' is set to none, Cream 'out', options seems to be various midi tracks I have but no master. Sending it back to H2 does not work. Very confusing.

So as requested, how do I do this in Sonar? Thank you.

I'll make a tutorial for you.
Please be patient :)

-Arto

I got the setup working when I created two soft synth tracks. One For Cream and One for the vsti.
Then I created some MIDI notes to track 1 which MIDI out is set to Cream channel 1.
Then I set the vst1 track MIDI input to Cream Channel 1 and set the input echo on.

Image 1
Image 2

I hope this helped :)

-Arto

I'm struggling to get Cream to accept any midi input too. Arto, could you break the process down further? I'm working in X3 if the steps are slightly different...

Are the two tracks Simple Instrument Tracks or MIDI Source?

By track 1, do you mean the Cream track?

I feel like I've tried every possible variation of routing and track type, but I'm getting nowhere.

FYI - It can work with Sonar. I have a template with Cream first taking the MIDI input (from the onscreen piano keyboard as a virtual controller or whatever), and that track has None as the output, then my synth track will take as input whatever Cream itself has set as the midi output channel (for Channel 5 output from Cream the synth track shows its input as Cream 1: Midi Channel 5, for example).

Important - the Midi input track (in my case the Cream track 1) must be the active track. If other tracks are selected I lose the midi input into the beginning of the signal chain and so the sound is lost. I also lose sound if I don't have the Cream output matched with the synth channel input (I have a bunch of synths loaded to try out different things).

(I have another Sonar template that takes the Midi into Cthulhu, from Cthulhu into Cream, then to the synth, so that can be done, too.)

Thanks, that's reassuring. I'm still haven't quite managed to get this going, but it's good to know it can be done. :)

This instrument is potentially brilliant, but the MIDI routing fundamentals are kooky and don't exploit the "MIDI effect" concepts of other OEM Sonar plugs. I have just been using my own intuition to get it to do something. I think I probably ended up doing something very similar to that described above.

Basically, I daisy-chained one MIDI track output into Cream as a synth (even though it isn't a synth), and the output of Cream to the input of a second MIDI track. The output of the second MIDI track can only then control a real live synth.

See steps below:

1. Insert-MIDI track, and call it Cream Source
2. Insert-Soft Synth-Cream as a Simple Instrument Track
3. Insert-MIDI Track, and call it Cream Destination
4. Set Cream Source MIDI channel to 1, MIDI Input None (Omni) and MIDI Output Cream 1
5. In the Cream instrument, make sure both Input and Output are 1 (I made no changes to the MIDI defaults in the Sonar instrument track).
6. Set Cream Destination MIDI channel to 1, MIDI Input to Cream 1 MIDI Channel 1, MIDI Output to the port of your choice (in my case, this is Microlite Port 4 to control my Juno on MIDI channel 1).
7. Open a piano roll for Cream Source and stick a note in it.
8. Select the Cream Destination track so it is active.
9. Press Play. Cream should receive the output of Cream Source and direct its output to Cream Destination ... I have sound :D

Unfortunately, the Cream Destination track needs to be active for some reason. I don't really get why, because other MIDI tracks in Sonar will output notes without being active.

For my next trick, I'm going to try and work out how on earth you actually control the notes in the patches :P

I would attach an image, but I can't work out how to do that in this forum :hyper:

There is a kind of bug that makes it look complicated to use Cream, when it really isn't.

If you have installed CreamCM edition before you installed Cream, then uninstall CreamCM.
If you don't, Cream doesn't do anything, but CreamCM works. May not happen all the time, but happened to me and I have a strong suspicion that it is very common.

Regarding Sonar, remember to set input echo on (button to the right of the record button), on the instrument you want Cream to control, and select Cream as the midi input (marked as I)

That's all that is needed.

Return to “Kirnu”