Yet another VCS3 clone (free)

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there

Update (May 18th): It is done! Go to the addres below for the latest version, including a nice collection of patches:

http://www.ninecows.dk/cynthia

(I updated links and screenshot below as well)

EDIT (february 27th): As requested the zip-file now contains a large and small-sized edition so you can choose the one that fits your screen best. The small is without presets so far.

I made a complete update of this one (originally presented in this thread: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204307) and its now free for download.

I know there's plenty of other VCS3 clones out there - some free, some not. I found the free ones lacking functions of the original or being very cpu-hungry, so I made my own ;-) It satisfies my needs and it was fun making, but its propably not better than the rest - I'll let you be the judge of that :-) It should hold all the possibilities of the original and in addition to that a delay module, portamento, a tuner and seperate routing of midi pitch, gate and velocity. And the pins for the matrix can work as inverters :hihi:

Its made with SynthEdit (so it has the multi-core bug) and is classified as a VST and NOT a VSTi. In Reaper it still takes a MIDI input nicely though.
And... compared to the rest its pretty large - it takes up most of the screen, but I chose that in order to make the graphics better, so you can see what you're doing...

Screenshot:

Download:
http://www.ninecows.dk/cynthia/cynthia.zip

Just extract the zip-file to your vst-folder and you can load in the host. There's also a manual.

Have fun with it and please let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements :-)

I'm off to make a clone of the sequencer that's supposed to be in the other half of the suitcase ;-)
Last edited by ninecows on Sun May 18, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I love thesynth concept of the original and having many emmulations doesn't huirt. I'll give it a try and get back to you :D

Oooh, cool, I'll be checking that out. Though, ahem, that's not a Putney. This is a Putney:

What you have got is a "Portabella":

Pretty much the same circuitry, though the Synthi AKS had the 256 sequencer heard on Pink Floyd's "On the Run", and the touch membrane keyboard. The Putney could be attached to the DK2 duophonic keyboard (which was velocity sensitive). Other than that, the circuitry is the same.
There are rocketships outside of my window. Really: www.cosmo.org
www.theelectronicgarden.com

ummm, why does it only load as a vst and not an instrument??? (in live)

shanecgriffo wrote:ummm, why does it only load as a vst and not an instrument??? (in live)
Well its a choise from my side. I had trouble making the audioinputs work when it was classified as a synth, so I made it an effect instead. Can you get it to accept a midi in and work as a synth anyway? It works fine in Reaper here, but I suspect this to be host dependent...

And yeah... I know that the Putney was the woodenbox thing... I just liked that name better ;-) Hopefully the guys producing the real hardware synths now wont send their lawyers after me for cloning the name and design... Otherwise I'll have to rename it to... well... the cuteney? :lol:

ninecows wrote:
shanecgriffo wrote: And yeah... I know that the Putney was the woodenbox thing... I just liked that name better ;-) Hopefully the guys producing the real hardware synths now wont send their lawyers after me for cloning the name and design... Otherwise I'll have to rename it to... well... the cuteney? :lol:
The names were chosen after the area where the units were made. My favorite was the nickname of the keyboard: The Cricklewood (which had a built-in oscillator, by the way, making the Putney a four-osc machine if it was attached).

I love 'em. The manual for my own VCS3 says "Putney" on the cover (all of the North American manuals called it that).
There are rocketships outside of my window. Really: www.cosmo.org
www.theelectronicgarden.com

cool i will try this out in reaper

And yeah... I know that the Putney was the woodenbox thing... I just liked that name better Wink Hopefully the guys producing the real hardware synths now wont send their lawyers after me for cloning the name and design... Otherwise I'll have to rename it to... well... the cuteney?
hey i didnt say that :lol: !! it wasnt me!
i can get it working in live, yeah , just got to route another midi track to it! cool, thanks.

Just tried it in Tracktion 3 and looks and sounds very nice. :D

But, the GUI seems to be too big for the screen and I cannot see the bottom of it. That is, the bottom 4 output knobs, the bottom grid row and the joystick? I cannot get to.

---

Yes, the screen is too big! :cry: Waaah it looks so nice, me want me want! Any Hope? :help:
"I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint."

To overcome the GUI size issue I just increased my screen resolution. The presets are definitely a good start. I admit having a lot to learn about programming the beastie.

Keep up the good work, nine. :)

:hail:
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

thx for the update, 9cows :tu:
Peace
Dubadelica - Electronic music since 1996 http://www.dubadelica.com/about.php
Radio Rebelde - Modern roots reggae with an electronic twist https://radiorebeldereggae.bandcamp.com/

gnu23 wrote:To overcome the GUI size issue I just increased my screen resolution. The presets are definitely a good start. I admit having a lot to learn about programming the beastie.

Thanks , but unfortunately my screen only goes as far as 1024 x 768. What a pity for me :( cause it sounds just as good as it looks as far I as can hear from the presets! :love:
"I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint."

Hskovlund wrote:
gnu23 wrote:To overcome the GUI size issue I just increased my screen resolution. The presets are definitely a good start. I admit having a lot to learn about programming the beastie.

Thanks , but unfortunately my screen only goes as far as 1024 x 768. What a pity for me :( cause it sounds just as good as it looks as far I as can hear from the presets! :love:
Dang. :dog:
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

Sounds nice, I've never really seen a VST version of this synth. So... thanks!

Return to “Modular Synthesis”