CSound vs. Supercollider vs. Chuck

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
KBSoundSmith
KVRian
706 posts since 6 Jul, 2009

Post Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:59 am

coops2 wrote:I like CSound :)

Although it can be used in realtime, its ability for use offline rendering means you can do awesome things, such as a 200 operator FM synth or additive synthesis with hundreds of partials each with their own envelopes, filters, effects etc that you just couldn't do in realtime with any VST.

With CSound you are only limited by your imagination and not your CPU :)
Exactly. To me, the beauty of these type of text-based/non-VST synthesis environments is that you can go absolutely crazy. A VST has only a limited number of capabilities (which are usually more than sufficient); however, if you want to go mad and, say, have 100 FM pairs, 100 granulation instruments, etc, and then have them passed through a thousand filters that each undergo separate effects processing, you can do it. If you just want to have two oscillators with a pair of filters and some LFOs, first, it's very quick to make in Csound, but you can use VST quite easily in that case.

bulvanskägg
KVRist
61 posts since 4 May, 2009

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:39 am

Although it can be used in realtime, its ability for use offline rendering means you can do awesome things, such as a 200 operator FM synth or additive synthesis with hundreds of partials each with their own envelopes, filters, effects etc that you just couldn't do in realtime with any VST.

And what about Supercollider?

KBSoundSmith
KVRian
706 posts since 6 Jul, 2009

Post Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:18 am

bulvanskägg wrote:

And what about Supercollider?
It depends upon what you are doing. One of the major differences between Csound and Supercollider is the fact that Csound was initially designed, and is still best-suited for, non-realtime synthesis. Supercollider was designed from the beginning for real-time synthesis. If you're on a shit computer, it is better to do non-realtime synthesis, although with the quality of most computers today, this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Personally, I use Csound for studio work, and if I need something that either needs to be performed live, or for improved control over gesture, I use either Max or Supercollider.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”