SoloRack v1.0 is here

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SoloRack

Update: Version 1.1 has been released, Details here: http://www.solostuff.net/2017/10/17/sol ... -released/

It's been almost two years since I started this project and I think it has reached a point where it's ready for public testing. Actually this is very close to the final product, hence the demo mode.
SR_shot1.jpg
https://soundcloud.com/s0lo/solorack-demo-1

SoloRack is a modular synthesizer that mimics the usability and functionality of hardware Eurorack modular systems, without imposing restrictions on the sound. Both analog modeled/emulated or pure digital modules are possible. Even experienced Eurorack users will find something new within almost all modules available while keeping familiarity and similarity to Eurorack intact for ease of use and seamless integration into Eurorack systems.

Disclaimer
NONE of the currently available SoloStuff modules are emulations of other hardware manufacturers modules. Please DO NOT assume that these are emulations.

Main features:
- Practically no limit to the number of modules and rack rows that can be added.
- The System B currently comes with a variety of modules. Including Oscillator modules, filters, Amplifiers, Mixers, panner, ADSR, VCLFO, Random-Sample and Hold, Noise module, Delay module, Chorus module, Reverb Module, Ring Modulators, CV sequencer, Trigger sequencer and many more utilities like Input/Ouput modules, MIDI to CV, tempo from DAW, clock divider, logic Tool, switch and CV tools.
- Can work as an effect with multiple inputs and outputs.
- Both 14bit and 7bit MIDI. (currently using LSB/MSB).
- Polyphony is possible using manual patching as it is done in hardware. Or through the sequencer modules.
- Multichannel MIDI support. Can be used to achieve multi-timbral voices.
- MIDI patch points and MIDI cables routing between modules all working at audio rate!!
- Support for Bi-directional patch points that can work as both inputs or outputs at the same time. As in some Eurorack modules, like switches for example.
- Offers a ridiculous amount of oversampling (up to X256). This is NOT a zero stuffing or interpolation method. This is an actual increase of the internal sampling rate inside the synth. Which means that it can process ultra sonic audio. I provide such features for people who are particular about quality, Not that any current CPU can handle it!!.
- Audio rate modulation of any CV input. The system even allows ultra sonic modulation when oversampling.
- Minimum internal sample block size (1 sample), this gives minimum possible delay between modules.
- Engineered from ground up to be CPU efficient. With optimization done at each level or development, not just at the end.
- Connectivity to modular hardware is supported (including but not limited to Eurorack). With 10 Audio/CV inputs, 12 Audio/CV outputs. (Note: For low frequency CV you will need an interface that has DC coupled inputs/outputs. Or use dedicated modules like the Expert Sleepers(TM) ES-6 and ES-3.
- Currently 220 presets are available (PLUS extra variations).
- More modules are expected to be added. Some of them may be included as part of the System B, others will be sold separately.

More information about each module can be found here http://www.solostuff.net/shop/

Quick start and guidlines:
Please read the ReadMe.txt file.

Known bugs and issues
- In Bitwig, The Reset function of the SA03 (MIDI to CV) module does NOT go to high voltage when you press STOP in Bitwig. This is because bitwig seemingly doesn't behave like other DAWs in the sense that it will not TELL the plugin when it goes to zero position.

Price:
The System B is priced at $110.

Download Link:
http://www.solostuff.net/wp-content/upl ... p1.001.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by S0lo on Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 21 times in total.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

Can't see anything on your website about system requirements but I get the impression, given that there is just the one ZIP, that this is Windows only?

Yes it is currently windows only. A Mac version may be possible on the long run.
www.solostuff.net

64 bit, plugin formats etc? Can't see anything about those either.

aMUSEd wrote:64 bit, plugin formats etc? Can't see anything about those either.
Both 64bit and 32bit included. vst only. Sorry I guess I took these things for granted.
www.solostuff.net

http://www.solostuff.net/product/s102-unity-mixer/

Excuse my poor eyes... Do I read three dollars or three hundred dollars, please ?
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote:http://www.solostuff.net/product/s102-unity-mixer/

Excuse my poor eyes... Do I read three dollars or three hundred dollars, please ?
It's $3

Question: Is this going to be resize-able?

wagtunes wrote:Question: Is this going to be resize-able?
Good point, Steve!

And I have another question of the same kind?

Is there an alternative skin for the modules (meaning an "inverted" skin having bright serigraph on black background) ? I ask this question because my poor eyes see much better on dark backgrounds when something is very dense.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Hmm, I guess this isn't going to be my cup of tea. I'm kind of just evaluating it for use and sound on its own but also comparing it to my 6U Eurorack setup.

To me, most of the point of modular is to get away from standard East Coast VCO->VCF->VCA with 1-2 ADSRs architecture. Which means complex or unusual oscillators, filters with lots of character, lots of FM and waveshaping and LPGs and interesting modulation sources and so on. This makes some gestures in those directions but it's not quite enough:

-- FM doesn't work all that well IMHO -- there are no VCOs that do TZFM, the ones with linear FM inputs don't have a sine output, and there's no way to convert linear to exponential. What is available doesn't sound right to me and cranking up the oversampling didn't really help.

-- There's no waveshaper. No wavefolder, no tri-to-sine shaping, no saw animators. There might have been a rectifier or comparator, I don't remember.

-- The LPG doesn't really sound convincing to me and doesn't emulate vactrol response). It's too bright, but I'm not sure how else to describe the feel... not "round" enough?

-- The slew limiter doesn't have separate rise/fall, so it can't be used as an envelope generator.

-- Having to add a separate MIDI-from-DAW and then MIDI-CV module seems like more realism than necessary.

-- The demo noise/UI block is way too frequent; it's seriously annoying and discouraged further exploration.

BlackWinny wrote:http://www.solostuff.net/product/s102-unity-mixer/

it is $3
wagtunes wrote:Question: Is this going to be resize-able?
Probably not. May be in the far future if there is enough interest were I would hire a pro artist to do it.
www.solostuff.net

foosnark wrote: -- FM doesn't work all that well IMHO -- there are no VCOs that do TZFM, the ones with linear FM inputs don't have a sine output, and there's no way to convert linear to exponential. What is available doesn't sound right to me and cranking up the oversampling didn't really help.
Infact the S304 VCO does TZFM. Regarding sine waves, this VCO is meant for harmonically rich waves to accomplish Unison. Exponential FM can be done with the S310.
foosnark wrote:-- There's no waveshaper. No wavefolder, no tri-to-sine shaping, no saw animators. There might have been a rectifier or comparator, I don't remember.
There is a wave rectifier in the S310 VCO (RA knob) thats dedicated for the sin wave. Your ideas are good for future modules
foosnark wrote:-- The LPG doesn't really sound convincing to me and doesn't emulate vactrol response). It's too bright, but I'm not sure how else to describe the feel... not "round" enough?
Yes, I decided to drop the vactrol thing and add drive. Because vactrols are SLOW, they can't handle very high rate modulation. On the other hand the main function of the vactrol is basically an EG. Which you can replace with an external EG module. It Will not sound the same, but actually thats the point here "Similar but not identical". Otherwise one could go for a 1 to 1 emulation of the LPG, which is not what I'm doing here.
foosnark wrote:-- The slew limiter doesn't have separate rise/fall, so it can't be used as an envelope generator.
Yes, but the typical slew limiter in eurorack doesn't have time/rate features either. The rise/fall idea is good for future modules. I'll keep that in mind.
foosnark wrote:-- Having to add a separate MIDI-from-DAW and then MIDI-CV module seems like more realism than necessary.
Yes, But it allows me to create more MIDI routing modules. So Future modules or even 3rd party modules can process MIDI from DAW directly.
www.solostuff.net

Can't wait to test this synth. The list of included modules looks very promising. And if it is more CPU efficient compared to the Softube Modular, it will be a serious contender.

If it works fine on my machine, and sounds decent, it will be an instant buy...

Cheers,
Martin

The SoloRack details page in the website was mistakenly hidden!!. I fixed that, It's online now. So the information is there. Sorry to any one who was trying to find it.
www.solostuff.net

S0lo wrote:The SoloRack details page in the website was mistakenly hidden!!. I fixed that, It's online now. So the information is there. Sorry to any one who was trying to find it.
Still can't find it. This is all I can see but nothing about system requirements, plugin types supported etc (in fact it's not even clear if it is a plugin)

http://www.solostuff.net/solorack/

then it tells you to go to the shop but there you can only see details of each module, not the system as a whole

Return to “Modular Synthesis”