Pure Data or Max user? Post your patches!

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, I recently downloaded Pure Data and have been having fun with it. I thought it'd be a good idea to make a thread where pd or Max users could share their patches for others to explore. If your patch requires any extensions, please say so. I've set up a public google drive folder where we can upload them: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I'll start out with a not-too-complex one (because none of mine are complex) that's easy enough to get lost in. It's a delay where every time the delay goes around, the time of the next tap gets randomized without changing the pitch. At long times it's like an early computerized reverb attempt. At short times it can make interesting, glitchy cloud textures.

Platform: pd
Extensions required: Cyclone
Notes: Be careful with the interaction between feedback and drive. It's easy to make it blow up with feedback and drive settings both around the halfway mark.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B404gz ... sp=sharing
Last edited by nineofkings on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cool! I've dabbled with Max over the years, and now I'm getting started with PD. Mostly to run patches on the Organelle.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:Cool! I've dabbled with Max over the years, and now I'm getting started with PD. Mostly to run patches on the Organelle.
If you make any patches for either that you think would be fun or useful, post em here!

Hey guys. besides sharing the actual data for the synth software in question, why not throw in a screen cap too? I don't have time to set up Pure Data or Max (as I'm finishing my own software modular system Moselle http://moselle-synth.com) but I'd like to see what kinds of things you're doing with PD so I can think about whether my system supports them too. Your randomized delay sounds interesting for instance.

Sure, here's a screenshot of the delay. Not sure how readable it is. The basic idea is that the metro (metronome) object spits out a random time value in milliseconds, and then when that time value is up spits out another random value, and so on, within a specified range. These values gets passed to the delay time, plus 5ms. Then an envelope with a 5ms release is applied to the delay output to avoid clicking when the delay time changes. There's also some filters and overdrive in the delay path just for fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I like this idea! I'd like to try to emulate your patch in my own synth, if that's OK with you...

Are the two separate copies of everything left and right channels? Metronome changes random numbers every 300ms? Random times vary from 100 to 700ms? I assume delread is the delay? What do the 300 and 200 mean on the two channels?

Swiss Frank wrote:I like this idea! I'd like to try to emulate your patch in my own synth, if that's OK with you...

Are the two separate copies of everything left and right channels? Metronome changes random numbers every 300ms? Random times vary from 100 to 700ms? I assume delread is the delay? What do the 300 and 200 mean on the two channels?
Fine with me! That's why I shared it.

2 copies of everything are the 2 stereo channels. Delread is the delay output, delwrite is the delay input. All the numbers on the modules themselves are initialized values. So the metronome's first tap is set to 300ms, but that is immediately replaced by the random value fed back into it. Same with the delay channels, they're initialized to 300 and 200 ms, but those values are immediately replaced by their respective random values, plus 5ms. So at all times the delay time for a given channel is the metro time plus 5ms, to allow for the envelope. If randomly changing the buffer without changing pitch were possible without clicking, the envelopes wouldn't be necessary.

The random number generator that goes to the metro/delay time is initialized to generate values between 100 and 600ms. This can be changed by the controls on the right.
Last edited by nineofkings on Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks and will study again!

Return to “Modular Synthesis”