What to include in first eurorack build?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm sure this question gets asked on here at least once a week but I'm gonna ask it anyway. What kind of modules would you guys recommend for my first eurorack synth? I am interested in designing a synthesizer that is capable of interesting sound design. I'm more so interested in all the pieces and parts of a synth than any analog effects (at least for the moment). I have a eurorack case and it has the ability to hold only 60HP, I assume that relates to the power supply but am not sure. This is my first synthesizer so I do not have any modules as of currently.

Thanks in advance

I would definitely want an anechoic room simulator, that's like modular 101 right there.

ghettosynth wrote:I would definitely want an anechoic room simulator, that's like modular 101 right there.
An echo free room simulator? Hmm those look a bit pricey, do you think I could use an analog silence generator instead?
Last edited by modularkvraccount on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

I didn't mean to make a second comment. Is there no way to delete comments on here?

modularkvraccount wrote:I didn't mean to make a second comment. Is there no way to delete comments on here?
nah, but double-posts are just a fact of life here so dont worry about it.

60HP refers to the capacity of the rack in width, not anything power related. Modules are X HP wide, where X is 1/5 of an inch. Modules can be all sorts of widths, 2HP will be the narrowest you'd find. Typical modules used to be 8-12HP, now they tend to be wider, and some of the sequencers and very complex ones can be 48 or wider.
Choosing modules that fit can be an issue in and of itself. But have a look over at modulargrid.net a good tool to help yourself plan.
Your power supply output is also something you'll have to plan around, its rated for a certain number of milliamps, and each module will need a certain amount. modulargrid will help with that too.

If you're talking basic subtractive synthesis, your obvious starting point would be an oscillator, a filter and a modulation source. But that's still an awful lot of scope so unfortunately hard to second-guess what sort of thing would suite someone else without more information.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

There are so many possibilities, and preferences are so personal, that it can be hard to find (or recommend) a starting point.

Without going into too much detail: ModularGrid.net is fantastic for seeing what modules are out there, which ones are popular, what combinations of things people have in their racks, and planning module selection and arrangement. From there, anything that looks promising, search for it on YouTube and the MuffWiggler forums to see how it sounds, how it works, and what people think of it. (DivKid, Mylar Melodies and James Cigler are really good YouTubers for modular stuff.)

60HP is quite small and it's going to be a challenge to fit a nice general sound design system. You could go with something like Make Noise DPO, Maths and Dynamix, or Harvestman Hertz Donut, Double Andore and Rabid Elephant Natural Gate with a Disting mk4 and Happy Nerding 3xMIA, or perhaps Make Noise Rings, Tides, Warps and Shades plus a Disting. At any rate: one good flexible modular voice would consist of at least two VCO/LFOs, 1-2 envelopes, and at least two VCAs/LPGs, plus attenuation, offsets and mixing. In 60HP it'll take some careful selection to get that.

Also with a small case like that, you might be well served by getting a semi-modular such as 0-Coast or Mother-32, and then using the case to add modules to enhance the basics that are already there.

Definitely jump over to Muffwiggler. There is a sticky topic dedicated entirely to this question, and a lot more modular users than you’ll find on here.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

foosnark wrote:Also with a small case like that, you might be well served by getting a semi-modular such as 0-Coast or Mother-32, and then using the case to add modules to enhance the basics that are already there.
I agree, but Doepfer's suggestions are also safe bets:

http://www.doepfer.de/a100s_e.htm

here is more or less what I personally started with. Note that some of these modules already have newer versions by now.

(Sorted as seen in the pic from left to right)
Tiptop Audio: Z3000 Smart VCO MK2
Intellijel Designs: Dixie II
Bubblesound: uLFO
Pittsburgh Modular: Generator
Pittsburgh Modular: Genxpander
Pittsburgh Modular: Filter
Pittsburgh Modular: Mixer
Make Noise: ModDemix
Intellijel Designs: uVCA
a-101-1 Doepfer Vactrol Multitype Filter
a-143-2 Doepfer: A-143-2 Quad ADSR
a-118 Doepfer: A-118 Noise

You can make a big bang for the buck by staying with Doepfer and Pittsburgh as they are more of the cheaper side of things. Specially that you are still learning this stuff and you need lots of bread and butter modules. Latter on, you can slowly build and take on more complex and expensive modules. (Not saying here that cheap modules can't be complex or good. they definitely can).
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

I echo all the stuff above - there's so much help out there, especially on youtube, that helped/helps me in this journey: Muffs, DIVkid, TuesdayNightMachines, Molten Modular, etc. Chris at Learning Modular has been awesome - his Lynda courses are REALLY REALLY good for newbies.

The one module that I didn't really understand at the beginning but use pretty much all the time is Pamela's Workout. Now that there's a new one with LFOs and stuff the v1 can be found for $140 or less, but having all the different clocks/triggers is so helpful. I also made the decision to NOT get into Eurorack sequencing, but got an Arturia Beatstep Pro which is great for starting out.

Others that I use in almost every patch:
- Batumi (with poti expander)
- Peaks
- SSF Ultra Random Analog

Maths was really important for me learning modular. There's some decent tutorial videos, but the visual patchbook that you download for it really helped me basically go through a bunch of "lessons" for seeing how voltages and signals interacted and were patched.

Distings are great for learning the basics of what different modules will do.

And of course VCAs/mixers - don't overlook utilities. I thought a couple of my oscillators didn't even work at first because they all respond to different voltages - again the disting was helpful here just to convert voltages up/down (until I got a Beast's Chalkboard - read the Learning Modular article about that one!).

But yeah, tons of fun and so much to learn about

What about having a play with some of the modular software (if you haven't already). It might give you an idea of the type of modules that float your boat. VCV and XSRDO can be used for free

srcodling wrote:I also made the decision to NOT get into Eurorack sequencing, but got an Arturia Beatstep Pro which is great for starting out.
I think that's a good choice at least to start with -- either BSP or a MIDI-CV interface and sequence in a DAW. It saves a lot of money and HP.

That said, sequencing in Euro also has its charms and can really encourage different compositional techniques. I'm trying to get the best of both worlds now.

For instance, I have a Doepfer A-138m matrix mixer. Aside from its usual uses, you can feed gates to its inputs and set the knobs a bit like a sequencer (for 5 available notes, counting "0" for no gate) -- or use combinations of gates and set intervals on the knobs for 16 combinations. Kind of like a customizable DAC.

Instead of being locked to a specific note order, I use CV.OCD to derive gates from MIDI notes. And/or I can use other gate sources -- for instance, a MIDI gate can control input 1, Pamela's New Workout can play a couple of Euclidean gate patterns into inputs 2 and 3, and can trigger my Ladik burst generator to quickly bash input 4 to play trills. :D Or I can clock my G8 clock divider and have it just spit out random gate outputs, or numerically sequenced ones, or advancing steps. Or all of the above.

And then with four CV outputs on the A-138m, I can feed those to a sequential switch clocked by some other division or intetionally sequenced gates, to vary the notes. With another CV mixer I can transpose the whole thing using another gate. And so on. Or I can use one of the outputs to control clock modulation itself, or the slew amount to apply to the output.

Or I can use it to store something like "presets" for modules -- combinations of four CVs, that can be "program changed" by sequences or clocks or whatever.

I'll also be getting a Mimetic Digitalis once those are available. Not really a traditional sequencer either, but a 4x4 grid that can be navigated on the X or Y axis, sequentially, and/or randomly from various triggers or CVs. And it's compact and relatively cheap for a sequencer.

I'm still very much in favor of DAW-based sequencing but these can add some cool accompanying parts.
And frakly, I just like being able to sequence with unquantized values that I tune by ear.

modularkvraccount wrote:I'm sure this question gets asked on here at least once a week but I'm gonna ask it anyway. What kind of modules would you guys recommend for my first eurorack synth? I am interested in designing a synthesizer that is capable of interesting sound design. I'm more so interested in all the pieces and parts of a synth than any analog effects (at least for the moment). I have a eurorack case and it has the ability to hold only 60HP, I assume that relates to the power supply but am not sure. This is my first synthesizer so I do not have any modules as of currently.

Thanks in advance
60 hp is not much for a modular system. It´s more useful to expand the functionalty of a semi modular synth.
In this case a lot of VCA´s and LFO´s/Envelope(more classicstyle modul) and multiple would help to expand the synth without geting lost in the modular hell.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”