[announce] VeeSeeVST Rack VST2 plugin

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VCV Rack

Can't get it to work on Cubase Elements 9, Win 10. Cubase put it in the blacklist, and when I try to reactivate it, Cubase quits. No error message. Anyone knows a fix?

shidostrife wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:02 am Can't get it to work on Cubase Elements 9, Win 10. Cubase put it in the blacklist, and when I try to reactivate it, Cubase quits. No error message. Anyone knows a fix?
Seriously:
I once was a Cubase user too.
Then after one (there were hundreds of them) of these stunts, i did myself a favor and switched to REAPER - no more of that "Cubase quits. No error message.", or "Cubase corrupts my project" crap ever again.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

I'm a long time Reason user (since version 2). Found VCV Rack and have enjoyed playing with and learning it. Knew I would be wanting to see it as a vst2 plug in for Reason. And, here it is.

Just one question. I have lots of additional VCV Rack modules I would love to use in the veeseev vst2 rack in Reason. Any way to get those included in the plug in list??

Many thanks!

John

jctarvin wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:47 amJust one question. I have lots of additional VCV Rack modules I would love to use in the veeseev vst2 rack in Reason. Any way to get those included in the plug in list??
I think at this point the only way would be to compile a new version yourself.
I don't know all the steps but i think i remember there was some guide on how to do that.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Hey bsp804, any changes coming here to go with whats happening to VCVRack? I've also noticed (and i think a windows update broke this, but not sure) that when I touch the "open" menu on any win10 machine it goes into a strange loop of endlessly opening the "open" file manager. Any chance you could take a look at that? Still a great bit of software! Thanks again for making it happen!!

shidostrife wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:02 am Can't get it to work on Cubase Elements 9, Win 10. Cubase put it in the blacklist, and when I try to reactivate it, Cubase quits. No error message. Anyone knows a fix?
When I trialed Cubase to debug (and fix) a compatibility issue some months ago this happenend to me, too.
The workaround was something along the lines of renaming the plugin dll (.dll => .dll__REMOVED), starting Cubase, shutting it down, renaming the DLL back to normal then restarting Cubase again. Really weird.
It seems to be a common issue with Cubase from what I gathered (also happens "randomly" with other plugins).

Clearscreen wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:12 pm Hey bsp804, any changes coming here to go with whats happening to VCVRack? I've also noticed (and i think a windows update broke this, but not sure) that when I touch the "open" menu on any win10 machine it goes into a strange loop of endlessly opening the "open" file manager. Any chance you could take a look at that? Still a great bit of software! Thanks again for making it happen!!
Hi Clearscreen. I'm also on Windows 10 (latest and greatest) and can't reproduce the file dialog issue. I tried several DAWs (Studio One, Reason, my own) and it's working in all of them.

Re: updates: This VST port is just one of my side-projects and I've since returned to my main projects. In other words: There are no plans for any VeeSeeVST updates.

That does not mean that I've totally abandoned VSVR but unless there are any major issues, it will remain in its current state.

Like Mutant already mentioned, all the source code for this is on GitHub so everyone's free to build their own version of the plugin and / or port additional modules via the plugin SDK (which is very simple and does not require you to rebuild the VST).

bsp804 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:33 am Hi Clearscreen. I'm also on Windows 10 (latest and greatest) and can't reproduce the file dialog issue. I tried several DAWs (Studio One, Reason, my own) and it's working in all of them.

Re: updates: This VST port is just one of my side-projects and I've since returned to my main projects. In other words: There are no plans for any VeeSeeVST updates.
It's very possible I wasn't clear - if I click with the mouse on 'open' everything works fine. But if I use a finger or pen touch to click on 'open' I get an endless loop of open dialogs and I have to force quit the host. Tried this under win10 on my surface as well as 2 different touch screens with my laptop, and in bitwig, live9 and usine, and they all do their own variations of stuck on opening things unfortunately...

It's not a big issue with my laptop as I still mostly use a mouse there, and I can use a mouse on the surface if I have to, but thought I'd mention it and see.

Fair enough on the updating/ bug fixing! For the price it's still an amazing bit of software!

Clearscreen wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:42 am It's very possible I wasn't clear - if I click with the mouse on 'open' everything works fine. But if I use a finger or pen touch to click on 'open' I get an endless loop of open dialogs and I have to force quit the host. Tried this under win10 on my surface as well as 2 different touch screens with my laptop, and in bitwig, live9 and usine, and they all do their own variations of stuck on opening things unfortunately...
Does this also happen with

Code: Select all

"touchInput": true,
(see settings.json) ?

This option is set to "false" by default but you can use a text editor and manually change it to "true".
When you do, don't use the Windows notepad, it may render the file unreadable (e.g. the favourite list will be empty in this case). Use Notepad++ instead.
You may need to close all plugin instances or even restart your DAW before the file is re-read (the settings.json file is read in 'effOpen' but your DAW may cache plugin instances).

I don't have a Surface tablet anymore (was borrowed) so I can't test this myself right now.

As a last resort, you can also open .vcv patch files by dragging them onto the plugin window.

bsp804 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:33 am Re: updates: This VST port is just one of my side-projects and I've since returned to my main projects. In other words: There are no plans for any VeeSeeVST updates.
Aww.. :(
bsp804 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:33 am or port additional modules via the plugin SDK (which is very simple and does not require you to rebuild the VST).
Anybody done this yet? Would be really nice to have a simple step by step guide. The one on Github is intimidating for somebody who has never compiled anything like this before.

Anyhow, I'll probably give this a go as I really would like some of the latest updated VCV rack modules in VeeSeeVST.

EDIT: Super newbie question before I try to tackle this.. what individual components or "workloads" do I need to install in Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition to get the work done? I'd rather not start randomly installing massive amounts of components blindly.

EDIT2: also obviously I do not have Steinberg's VST2 SDK as I'm not a developer and now that it's impossible to obtain.. am I dead in the water? Did I understand correctly that the VST2 SDK is _not_ needed if I only want to compile VCV Rack modules for VeeSee modular?
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:50 pmwhat individual components or "workloads" do I need to install in Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition to get the work done?
You'll definitely need the C++ compiler and most likely the Windows SDK. Can't remember any more details since I've installed it quite a while ago.
bmanic wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:50 pmDid I understand correctly that the VST2 SDK is _not_ needed if I only want to compile VCV Rack modules for VeeSee modular?
Yes, that's right. The VST2 SDK is not required for VSVR plugins.

Keep in mind that for technical reasons, the VSVR plugin API is slightly different from the VCV plugin API.
I'd suggest to start with the "template" plugin (a port of this is included with the VSVR plugin SDK).
When you compare it to the original code, you'll see the differences.

p.s.: once you've compiled your plugin, remember to duplicate the DLL when you copy it to the vst2_bin/plugins/<name>/ folder (plugin.dll => plugin.dll.fx, plugin.dll.instr)

bsp804 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:40 am
Clearscreen wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:42 am It's very possible I wasn't clear - if I click with the mouse on 'open' everything works fine. But if I use a finger or pen touch to click on 'open' I get an endless loop of open dialogs and I have to force quit the host. Tried this under win10 on my surface as well as 2 different touch screens with my laptop, and in bitwig, live9 and usine, and they all do their own variations of stuck on opening things unfortunately...
Does this also happen with

Code: Select all

"touchInput": true,
(see settings.json) ?
Yes it does happen with that enabled or disabled. I use adobe brackets as a code editor - I've assumed that would save correct code for json files?

How does the cpu use compare to the Softube Modular? With comparable modules inserted?
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

bsp804 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:55 pm
bmanic wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:50 pmwhat individual components or "workloads" do I need to install in Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition to get the work done?
You'll definitely need the C++ compiler and most likely the Windows SDK. Can't remember any more details since I've installed it quite a while ago.
bmanic wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:50 pmDid I understand correctly that the VST2 SDK is _not_ needed if I only want to compile VCV Rack modules for VeeSee modular?
Yes, that's right. The VST2 SDK is not required for VSVR plugins.

Keep in mind that for technical reasons, the VSVR plugin API is slightly different from the VCV plugin API.
I'd suggest to start with the "template" plugin (a port of this is included with the VSVR plugin SDK).
When you compare it to the original code, you'll see the differences.

p.s.: once you've compiled your plugin, remember to duplicate the DLL when you copy it to the vst2_bin/plugins/<name>/ folder (plugin.dll => plugin.dll.fx, plugin.dll.instr)
Awesome! Thanks for the information. Will start to investigate this.

Cheers!
bM
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Any chance for one final modules update to keep this project alive with current 0.6.2.c variant?
Before VCV and its modules all migrate to 1.0 and beyond.
As i take it this project will not be maintained after VCV goes into 1.0

[*] sound is unfrozen geometry [*]
https://www.youtube.com/c/Eurikon/videos

Yes can someone please update with all new free modules (Especially Geodesics new Entropia sequencer) and post here? I have no idea how to do it myself. Of course rebuilding with the poly mode from version 1.0 would be cool too

Return to “Modular Synthesis”