Help me choose my first synthesizer... Grandmother or Minibrute 2S?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Distorted Horizon
KVRAF
3852 posts since 17 Jan, 2017 from Planet of cats

Post Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:00 am

foosnark wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:07 am
DJMaytag wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:39 pm
I was lucky to get to try the Matriarch...
There was a Matriarch at Knobcon too, but I kept myself away from it because I didn't want to be heartbroken knowing that it was too far outside my budget. I could still theoretically make space for a Grandmother if I decided to go that way. :D
Wtf its only 2k.. Moog one is around 9k :lol:

Tino Fiumara
KVRist
46 posts since 18 Feb, 2020

Re: Help me choose my first synthesizer... Grandmother or Minibrute 2S?

Post Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:33 am

DJMaytag wrote:
foosnark wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:10 am
I owned a Microbrute and I loved it, but I've never tried the Minibrute 2. I played a Grandmother for a few minutes at Knobcon and it felt and sounded really good to me. I'd personally go for the Grandmother.
I was lucky to get to try the Matriarch at Moogfest last year, and that is SUCH an amazing synth. In a lot of ways, it’s like getting 4x Grandmothers in one box. Definitely something to look into
If you like the Grandmother.

Good to see mention of Knobcon. If anyone is within driving distance of the Chicago area, it’s definitely a great show to check out. LOTS of cool gear and the ability to try things out AND talk to the reps instead of a GC/store salesman is really nice. I’ve gone each of the past 4 years and I’m likely getting a booth to display some stuff I have for sale this year (I do vintage synth repair & sales, plus build stuff like RE-303’s and Eurorack modules).

Back to the OP: in theory, I should want the Minibrute 2S. I have a pair of RackBrute 6U’s that could pair up with the 2S nicely, but there’s a level of “not so intuitive” with the 2S I can’t wrap my head around. The sound is just OK, but I know the YT videos show some cool things being done with it. I guess I have enough stuff to learn as it is, so I tend to shy away from stuff that’s not very intuitive. I love hardware because of its ease of use. If I want sheer power... that’s what VST’s are for.

I’d say go for a Moog, but I have a personal connection to that company, so I’m a bit biased in my desire to see them supported. That said, I love my Arturia SEM V, Jup8V, RackBrutes, Keystep, & DrumBrute Impact, so I’m quite the fan of Arturia stuff too.

Hope that was somewhat helpful! :)
Thanks for the reply, I'm aware of the Matriarch and believe me... Judging by the videos that I have seen is very impressive. The problem is that I don't have that kind of money right now and maybe is too complex for a first synth. I ordered the GM from Thomann a few days ago and I'm biting my fingers waiting for it.

Tino Fiumara
KVRist

Post Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:40 am

Distorted Horizon wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:26 am
Demo demo demo.. If you have a music store available, go there and play with everything they have (semi modular or not) and you'll quickly find the one for you.
Unfortunately, where I live we don't have a music store with all those synths, I have to watch videos if I want to listen to a synth and then order it online.

Tino Fiumara
KVRist

Post Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:44 am

Meffy wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:51 pm
DJMaytag wrote:
I was lucky to get to try the Matriarch at Moogfest last year, and that is SUCH an amazing synth.
Envy rays are beaming out of my eyes. Lucky duck!

I'm a Moog nut myself, but the styles of music I favor are pure electronic, rock, classical, jazz, like that. Love old-school soul and funk. I enjoy, and have been influenced by, hip-hop's complex rhythms but am far from an expert. "Try both" is certainly the best route.

Tino, whichever you pick you'll end up with a wonderful instrument.
I pulled the trigger on the Grandmother a few days ago, ordered it from Thomann, hopefully this week I'll have it on my hands. Thank you and the rest of the guys for helping choose my first hardware synth, I'll upload pictures.

Tino Fiumara
KVRist

Post Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:52 am

ThomasHelzle wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:28 am
We settled on a Korg Minilogue XD in the end as our first analog+ synth here recently. Very versatile, affordable, great tone, very delicious filter, four voices, beautiful effects on board, Midi & USB both, 16 Step Sequencer, great Arpeggiator, very good build, beautiful design and the digital user oscillator makes it so much more versatile with many free and paid options available already.
The user effects also add a lot.

I know it isn't on your list, but maybe worth a look anyway :-)

Cheers,

Tom
Thank you, I was thinking about the Minilogue too, but first I wanted a good semi-modular analog monosynth, maybe in the future i'll taking in count as a first poly. I already ordered the Grandmother.

Meffy
Skunk Mod
21314 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Pony Pasture

Post Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:53 am

Yay! Hope it suits your style. Both choices are great instruments, so you can hardly go wrong.

Tino Fiumara
KVRist

Post Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:58 am

kvotchin wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:30 am
The BS2, especially used, is amazing value. Add the relatively new AFX mode (free update), and it's killer.

In terms of raw sound, out of those, the GM is probably my favourite. Moog tends to be good for that.

Personally, I would consider picking up the BS2 and at least one other to complement it. You've easily got the money for that.

Oh, by the way, what hardware do you currently have?
If with ''hardware'' you're referring to synths... the answer is none, I just ordered the Grandmother, so that's gonna be my first synth. In terms of audio equipment in general I have Yamahas HS8, Motu 4pre, Novation SL MLIII, AKG C214, etc...

Thanks for the recommendations, I have read that the BS2 is a classic.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”