Malekko Voltage Block

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If I were in the market for another eurorack sequencer, I would have a look at the Erica Synths Black Seq.
Just a nice collection of sequencer features without trying to get too fancy about it.

DoMath wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:16 pm @vurt

Thanks :) Its kinda covers my needs but I'm still looking deeper for what capabilities these modules have together.
As you mentioned there are lots of things still to think about before purchase.
Hermod from Squarp Instruments looks very powerful sequencer too , + lots of cv gates.
I like Hermod. Very useful and multi-faceted module covering 8 independent channels of sequencing, midi to cv or cv to midi, cv recording/looping and a bunch of fun processing stuff with the effects modules... programmable sequencing is not really its strong suit but it's definitely capable. It's a great mediator between midi gear/computer and cv/analogue stuff. It's pretty good value imo.
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians. - FZ

Hermod is a good choice, especially if you're coming from the DAW world. 1010 Music's Toolbox is another one, as it has CV/gate outputs, as well as MIDI outputs. You can sequencer both analog gear and MIDI gear at the same time.

Speaking of very capable eurorsack sequencers... I would definitely recommend checking out Five12's Vector sequencer. It's easy to use yet also very powerful, lots of ways to manipulate sequences and while it is a eurorsack module, it's just as strong as a MIDI sequencer.

justin3am wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:25 pm Speaking of very capable eurorsack sequencers... I would definitely recommend checking out Five12's Vector sequencer. It's easy to use yet also very powerful, lots of ways to manipulate sequences and while it is a eurorsack module, it's just as strong as a MIDI sequencer.
That's a good shout. I'd actually opt for a Vector over the Hermod if I were looking for something along these lines now.
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians. - FZ

Hi guys , its been a while until i decided what to buy. First of all thanks for such a good recommendations .
I just bought Erica Synth Black Sequencer . Its workflow is very intuitive and fun for me. Just twisting knobs for making
riffs/lines and even dont exactly understanding what are you doing, is the best part for me. And this knobs , you can twist them for hours and hours , even when its turned off ))

Glad you find something which you're enjoying. I quite liked the look of the Erica sequencer myself.

Currently, though, Im intrigued by the Sixty Four Pixels Noodlebox, which is a standalone box. I like the UI and the idea of the sequence start/end points being 'performable.'

If I had to nitpick I'd say it was a shame that with only 4 layers/4 CV outs, it would have been nice if there were 'virtual layers' or somesuch that could be mixed to any single out, instead of having to mix 'real' layers. Also it would have been nice if it had just a few more gate outs.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt

yes, you are right! more gates would be awesome for sure. Probably it looks like the hole concentration on "gates" is in
drum sequencer of erica synths and Black Sequencer for riffs mostly. I have not tried yet but maybe its possible to use mod out as separate gate out ?! I'll try

If you want to get into the mix & match world, having one device for gate triggering and another device for CV is an interesting way to go. Voltage Block & Varigate is one combo, similar to the Erica Drum Sequencer & Black Sequencer could be.

I'm using a WMD Metron and a WMD Voltera, which gives me 16 trigger/gate outputs and 4x assignable CV outputs (could be quantized note values, could be unquantified voltages, all options can be at a range of voltages like +/- 5, 0-5V, 0-1V, etc). Adding a WMD Axxent module expands Metron to give it 16 dedicated accent outputs (trigger/gate) for the main 16 outputs. It's a pretty powerful setup!

DJMaytag

Mmmm ... Sounds so good! I don't have drum modules yet, only standalone drum machines. Probably gonna buy some tiptop 909 modules and after that , gate/trigger sequencer.

By the way you mentioned Accent. Can you give me a little insight please about accent-ing notes.
There is no Accent on Black Sequencer. Can i do it myself by patching things?

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:10 pm Currently, though, Im intrigued by the Sixty Four Pixels Noodlebox...
Oh, that's cool looking. Like a dot-matrix etch-a-sketch.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

gates come in useful for more than drums.
triggering envelopes is a basic use for example :)

then many modules, ill use clouds as most people have seen it, have a freeze and trigger, that can be triggered using gates.
or plaits or maths can be triggered, to get them to do various things.

pain in the arse tbh, im always running out :cry:
but then you can have great fun, with just one and a freq divider :ud:

DoMath wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:32 pm DJMaytag
By the way you mentioned Accent. Can you give me a little insight please about accent-ing notes.
https://youtu.be/7jMebUWGUGs
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Return to “Modular Synthesis”