Porting DestroyFX to 64bit on Windows and OSX

Official support for: smartelectronix.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lalo wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:23 pm Oh :-(
Thanks Sophia, so how did you managed to compile the old versions for Win32 VST?
I used to have a Windows system, but I haven't in probably about a decade. And Tom 7 used to help in that respect too but hasn't really been developing these for a while.

When you're done and if you can help me understand the structure of the whole project i can help porting/compiling to Win64

lalo wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:53 pm When you're done and if you can help me understand the structure of the whole project i can help porting/compiling to Win64
Thank you, lalo!

It would be amazing if you managed to port Geometer to 64bit for osx. It was a complete disaster when my computer broke down and i had to get a new mac with Catalina (without a way to downgrade the OS). I have been using Geometer in most of my music for the last 15 years. But now i am without one of my main tools when making music.

zangpa wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:36 pm It would be amazing if you managed to port Geometer to 64bit for osx. It was a complete disaster when my computer broke down and i had to get a new mac with Catalina (without a way to downgrade the OS). I have been using Geometer in most of my music for the last 15 years. But now i am without one of my main tools when making music.
Development-wise I'm basically done with Geometer (and most of our effects), just finishing one last piece of functionality for a few of the others, and then final packaging details. Progress has been slow but happening...

Hi Sophia, just to know. Are you using any OSX specific C/C++ libraries in the code you're workin' on? Things like vDSP or similar math libraries?

lalo wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:58 pm Hi Sophia, just to know. Are you using any OSX specific C/C++ libraries in the code you're workin' on? Things like vDSP or similar math libraries?
I know I use vDSP in one place but I think there is a backup implementation too. I've made a best effort to either be platform neutral or warn or error where more work is needed. You can see the state of things in our source code repository.

VST support is actually likely in worse shape than Windows support. :/

sophia wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:20 pm VST support is actually likely in worse shape than Windows support. :/
I would compare your sources with the latest VST version sources available (are they available somewhere?) and eventually help porting to Win VST2/3. Probably would be a good idea to port via some framework (Juce or iPlug2)...a lot of work. But we'll see when you'll be done on your side.

lalo wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:57 pm I would compare your sources with the latest VST version sources available (are they available somewhere?) and eventually help porting to Win VST2/3. Probably would be a good idea to port via some framework (Juce or iPlug2)...a lot of work. But we'll see when you'll be done on your side.
Heh well those ships have sailed. We use our own framework, but the GUI portion is based atop VSTGUI. This is kinda the third iteration of the common codebase, and the last one with VST or Windows support was the first iteration, and the current state is pretty unrecognizable from then...

So i'm afraid we Win-ers will have to forget about DestroyFx for Win64...at least in the short term :-( I could find the time to do too little work than what is necessary to port the code. Thanks for your ongoing work anyway!

Another option for us would be take the DSP processing part and build another VST interface and UI structure with a cross platform framework. I guess that if the code is fully commented (and i guess it is after many years of work to avoid risk of loosing track) this could be a great approach

Yes we'll see, and thanks Lalo, I do realize some development choices have left it less than simple...

sorrynotsorry for necro, just wanted to say I still miss DFX on Windows and long for them to be ported to 64-bit someday! Still love and appreciate the work that went into these tools in any case.

I think destroyfx could secure crowdfunding to work on this if someone set it up. I know I’d be in.

Return to “Smart Electronix”