Current Ample Sound Guitar Wishlist/Suggestions

Official support for: amplesound.net
KVRian
551 posts since 28 Jul, 2011 from USA

Post Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:54 am

LEGEND

!!!!! = 2 most desired features/fixes
!!! = Next 5 most desired features/fixes

Items highlighted in green have been implemented/fixed. Thank you!

DESIRED WORKFLOWS

Note that each of these has issues right now.

1. Demo arpeggios and riffs from MIDI/Sequence library in Ample Sound Guitar. Drag sequences that work with song to track in DAW. Make variations on them in DAW. If the sequencer was made more sophisticated so that it could do longer sequences (see Sugar Bytes Thesys), control sustain for each note, control strum time, do bends, etc I would buy Sequencer packs of mix-ready sequences for $20 USD. See the MIDI paks XLN Audio sells for Addictive Drums. Where the AD paks come with presets, a bonus would be to include a handful of AmpliTube presets in each of the paks suitable to the style the paks are for.

2. Create arpeggios and riffs in sequencer and drag to DAW.

3. Load tab. Transpose tab to key of current song. Edit tab to fix issues that didn't transpose well and to adjust things like bends and strum directions. Drag desired measure(s) to track on DAW. Arrange and modify in the DAW.

4. Write melodies combining individual notes and chords in DAW or record directly from controller without having to use keyswitches to make the chords strum unless I don't like the default fingering, strum direction, etc. the guitar comes up with for the chord. See MusicLab RealGuitar for this super easy to use functionality that makes it so anyone can instantly create melodies with both notes and chords without needing to know any advanced features unless they wish to do more advanced things. This should be the default mode in the guitar. You load the guitar for the first time, start playing it like a piano and it plays notes and strums the chords you play without having to know anything about keyswitches. Keyswitches are then used when you want greater control.

In general the idea is that the sequencer/sequence library and tabs are a resource to pull riffs and arpeggios from and placed into the DAW where they are then further developed and arranged along with the rest of the tracks in the mix, e.g., drums, bass, keys, vocals, etc. Editing is generally done a few measures at a time with those measures being looped so it is very helpful if keyswitches work at the beginning of a measure rather than having to come immediately before it. One workaround for this in Cubase that brings it's own issues is to use an expression map. I have found that If you trigger keyswitches with an expression map that the keyswitches can be fired off exactly when you want them to work rather than immediately before, but this adds it's own complexity to the workflow.

GENERAL

1. !!!! Add a setting or make it default so that if more than 1 note is played simultaneously in Pick Mode and more than 2 notes are played simultaneously in Finger Mode that they are strummed rather than played simultaneously like on a piano. This is one feature that still makes MusicLab's RealGuitar a lot easier to get nice results with when hand coding the MIDI, noodling or using an external sequencer.

FIXES

1. Clicking on a technique label or LED to should activate that technique.

~ Keyboard input for control values is not currently working in Cubase 7 64bit and Cubase 7.5 64bit. (fixed in 1.7.0)

~ Ctrl-click should reset a knob or slider to it's default valued instead of shift-click. I am constantly hitting the wrong keys since it is the opposite of every single other plugin I have and the DAW itself.

SEQUENCER FEATURES

1. !!!!! Ability to drag sequencer pattern onto DAW track.

2. !!! Undo/Redo Buttons for the sequencer or better yet for the entire plugin. See the Undo/Redo buttons on the FabFilter plugins. I strongly encourage you to play with all the FabFilter plugins for a while. They have excellent user interfaces. They have really good controls for hiding and showing controls so you can fit a lot more in a small space while keeping everything very easy to get to. FabFilter has a cult following because their UI is so good.
http://www.juce.com/api/classUndoManager.html

3. !!! Add a Sequencer Play Button so I can work on a pattern while the project
is not playing and not have to hold down a key on my MIDI controller.

4. !!! Add a toggle to temporarily override the pattern selection keyswitches so that while editing in the sequencer the pattern that you have currently selected plays continuously.

5. Add two buttons to pattern sequencer for shifting pattern one step left or right.

6. Add ability to select a note in the sequencer and either drag it elsewhere or move it with arrow keys.

7. Add knob for proportionally increasing/decreasing the MIDI velocity of all notes in a strum pattern.

8. Add ability to switch between 3 banks so you can have up to 24 patterns
to play within a song. This would make it so that while creating a
song you can quickly try out a large assortment of patterns without
having to fumble around with loading a new one. You might not use 24
in a song, but you would have 24 immediately available during the
composing process.

9. Add a Random Button to create a random pattern.

10. Add option for pattern to start from beginning when the pattern is
triggered regardless of where in the measure it is triggered.

11. Add more left column sequencer options for single notes, e.g., bend, vibrato. You might have a toggle to show extra options in
order to save space in the default view. Again, see FabFilter plugins
and how the different sections slide in and out.

12. Add left column sequencer options for Hit-Top(open), Hit-Top(mute), Hit-Rim.

13. Ability to adjust strum time (0-200%) for each event in sequence. See the sliders in Sugar Bytes Thesys.

14. Ability to adjust sustain for each chord/note in sequence. See the sliders in Sugar Bytes Thesys.

15. Ability to set the quantise for each sequence individually. See Sugar Bytes Guitarist.

As well, Addictive Drums 2 has some new feautures like velocity range and the ability to emphasize/de-emphasize eighth and sixteenth notes by a certain amount that would be nice.

SEQUENCER UI

In general the sequencer workflow is clunky. I often create another note/strum or change the length of an existing one when trying to simply change the velocity of an existing note/strum. Sometimes I will create new notes when trying to delete an existing one. A more standard UI like found in Trillian, Thysys, and BreakTweaker would be nice.

Something to check out would be the micro edit functionality in BreakTweaker. BreakTweaker has your basic sequencer UI almost identical to that found in Trillian and Thesys. The problem with Trillian is the lack of functionality. The problem with Thesys is that a UI that big might not integrate all that easily into a bass or guitar VI. Breaktweaker takes a middle path and packs their added functionality into the micro edit pane. So each note/chord/effect placed in the sequencer has other parameters other than velocity and length that can be found in the micro edit pane. So for bass and guitar more advanced note expression functionality could go here in order to create patterns that sound more realistic. For notes you could add expressions like bends, slap, tap, slides, note-off velocity(controls release sound) etc here. For chords you can add things like strum time, inversions, and what strings are strummed (2-4 for instance). Little things like note bends can make arpeggios sound much more natural. Throw in a harmonic and other expressions here and there and you start to get the idea. As for chords, the steady strum times that don't actually adjust with the groove is one of those things that makes sequencers sound so fake, particularly with slower, more dynamic patterns. The little touches add up to make a more realistic sounding bass line, rhythm guitar, arpeggio, etc.

1. Add labels when you mouseover the left column sequencer icons.

2. Add a Strummer "On/Off" toggle on the Main view (right side of keyboard?) while keeping the one currently in the Strummer view. Toggling it on the virtual keyboard only works in one direction since you cannot control the velocity with a mouseclick that I am aware of. Though maybe it could be programmed so that left click is interpreted as high velocity and right click as low velocity.

3. Add a keyboard that can slide down to display on the Strummer view. See how the modulation section expands in FabFilter Saturn. This requires VST3.

4. Move "Clear All Notes" button up next to "Default Velocity" Button.

5. Time Signature knob is bigger than it needs to be.

SEQUENCE/PATCH/MIDI Library

1. !!!Make a patch library so you don't have to leave the instrument to audition and load patterns and banks. XLN Audio Addictive Drums has a nice patch library. Sugar Bytes Guitarist has an okay patch library though not nearly as nice as the one in Addictive Drums.

2. Display name of currently active/loaded pattern bank somewhere.

3. Ability to audition patterns even when DAW is not playing. Toggle between suggested BPM for pattern and DAW sync (1/2, Normal, Double, etc).

4. You might consider switching from .agp files to .mid files.

5. Add song intro and ending patterns to library.

6. Ability to give patches a rating(1-5 stars) and add tags to them.

~ Include all the files in Presets-a.zip in the initial install. Simplify getting started for the user!

CHORDS

1. Add ability to drag a chord from one slot in Chord Bank to another so that the two chords exchange places. E.g., if you drag chord 6 to the chord 1 position, the two chords are switched.

TABS

1. !!! Make "Convert Current Measure to Strum Pattern" more accurate, e.g., articulations, note bends, etc.

2. Add drag tab to track ability for easy exporting of the tablature to MIDI.

3. Ability to loop a section within a tab.

4. Ability to transpose the key of a tab.

5. Ability to change the tempo of a tab either by entering an exact value or at least have half, normal and double speeds.

KEYSWITCHES

If you are looping a measure to tweek it, working with the keyswitches can be frustrating since the keyswitches often require being placed just before the measure. For example, placing a keyswitch to toggle strum mode at the beginning of a measure tends not to work quite right. A workaround in Cubase that comes with it's own issues is to use expression maps for articulations and keyswitches. With an expression map the keyswitches work when placed exactly where you want them to be applied rather than having to place them immediately before.

1. It would be nice to have a velocity sensitive keyswitch for some basic note bends, e.g., half bend, whole bend, and vibrato.

STRINGS AND TUNING

1. Add the ability to Load/Save tunings.

2. Add ability to adjust volume of each string individually. See Sugar Bytes Guitarist.

3. Add ability to use drop F tuning.

MIDI OUT

1. Add option in preferences to include CCs and Keyswitches in the MIDI Out. This should be an option since sometimes you do not want them.

~ MIDI out should trigger new note for each strum.

CHANNELS

1. Ability to send left and right doubled guitars out different channels.

2. Ability to send strum/pick noises out to a separate channel.

OTHER

1. Update to VST3 for UI scaling, side-chain options, automatic expression map creation, and note expression.

2. The included effects are not so good and mostly useless for acoustic guitars anyway. I'd recommend taking a look at Addictive Drums and Addictive Keys for implementing instrument specific effects. For acoustic guitar some quality preamp options, some microphone emulations, highpass and lowpass filters and maybe noise (hum) would be nice. Addictive Keys has great noise options.

~ Master Tune for adjusting tuning in cents. Need a quick and easy way to tune to A432 instead of A440.

ADVANCED CONTROLS

1. Add buttons for displaying advanced controls.

2. Add ability to toggle sending keyswitches in the midi out for converting keyswitches to expression maps.

3. Stereo Pan Law: Add ability to automatically lower master volume by an optional amount when Double Guitar is toggled on. Equal Power, 0db, -3dB, -4.5dB, -6dB.

TUTORIAL EXAMPLES

1. Would like an example with project demo for Doubling Keyswitches.

MANUAL

1. Initial adjustment for track delay can cause confusion for new users. I'm not sure much can be done about this except to explain this initial setup step right at the beginning of the manual. Currently it is at 4.2 in the manual and is not labeled well.
  • 1.1 Installation on Mac
  • 1.2 Installation on Windows
  • 1.3 Activation
  • 1.4 Configuring Track Delay for Natural Guitar Sound
2. Explain release sound in manual, e.g., "The volume of release sound is determined by note off velocity. Some keyboards are sensible to note off velocity while others just set it to 0. In Cubase, you can open piano-roll to edit off velocity. You may find similar option in Studio One."

ISSUES

1. Somewhat minor once you know not to do it, but the DAW will likely crash if you change from "Pick" to "Finger" or vice versa during playback of a track. Even though they mention in the manual that you should not do this during playback it still should not crash. A delay for the change to occur is fine, but crashing is not. Again, I've never experienced this with any other sample software I've used. Someone demoing the instrument for the first time has likely not read the manual from beginning to end, and even if they have may not remember you are not suppose to do this.

2. Chords in tabs are not strummed if there is not a strum direction specified for each chord in the tab. Most tabs you download will not include strum articulations and so chords will sound like they are being played by a piano.

3. Sometimes crashes when loading a new tab even with nothing playing.

4. Sometimes crashes when changing chord banks if track is playing. In general the Ample Sound Guitars crash more than any plugins I've used in the last twenty years though I've only recently started using plugins from small boutique developers like Ample Sound.

5. The doubling guitar functionality seems to use an excessive amount of CPU. Doubling often makes my tracks unplayable.

6. Ample Sound guitar plugins seem to take much longer to load when opening a project than other virtual instruments with similar sample sizes.

~ If you load a tab into a guitar in one project, then open another project and load a different tab into a guitar, if you go back to the original project it will have the incorrect tab loaded. It will have the tab loaded from the second project.

~ The VST instrument MIDI out when playing a tab does not output anything.

Cheers,

G.
Last edited by Greg Houston on Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 59 times in total.

KVRAF
1692 posts since 28 Jun, 2012

Post Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:55 am

Thank you for your good suggestions.

Best regards

KVRer
29 posts since 18 Sep, 2013

Post Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:26 pm

Love the product, but let down by a poor user manual.
Even though I am using AmpleSound guitars in my recordings, I can't help feeling that I'm not using them correctly, or to their full capability.
A couple of 'walk through' videos would be helpful.

KVRAF

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:58 pm

KevetS wrote:Love the product, but let down by a poor user manual.
Even though I am using AmpleSound guitars in my recordings, I can't help feeling that I'm not using them correctly, or to their full capability.
A couple of 'walk through' videos would be helpful.
We are making video tots.

BTW we put a lot of time on our manual in fact, tried to make it more beautiful, detailed. really sorry for your confuse.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:17 pm

Yeah, I think they've done a great job on the manual. Having the audio demos and corresponding example projects I can load into my own DAW is absolutely awesome. I wish all developers did that. The manual is just missing some content. I imagine with English not being their first language it can be a little daunting for them to work on it and it can also make communicating a concept clearly a little difficult but I think they are doing really well.

KVRAF

Post Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:53 pm

Greg Houston wrote:Yeah, I think they've done a great job on the manual. Having the audio demos and corresponding example projects I can load into my own DAW is absolutely awesome. I wish all developers did that. The manual is just missing some content. I imagine with English not being their first language it can be a little daunting for them to work on it and it can also make communicating a concept clearly a little difficult but I think they are doing really well.
Many thanks for understanding.
And a nice MIDI project is expensive, another word, many MIDI projects we provided for free maybe have more value than Ample Guitar program. customers (beginner especially) will can learn a lot of staff from it.

KVRer
29 posts since 18 Sep, 2013

Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:36 am

"We are making video tots." Would that be baby videos? :wink:
Actually, joking apart, that would be fantastic.

I don't mean to criticise what is clearly an incredible piece of software - and the downloadable demo files are, as Greg Houston says, "Absolutely awesome". But having worked with Amplesound a bit more, and still struggling with some aspects of it, I feel that it's partly left to the customer to figure out.

Again, as Greg H says, "The manual is just missing some content." My feeling is that the missing content is possibly the important stuff.

Looking forward to the video tutorials.

Steve

KVRAF

Post Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:58 am

KevetS wrote:"We are making video tots." Would that be baby videos? :wink:
Actually, joking apart, that would be fantastic.

I don't mean to criticise what is clearly an incredible piece of software - and the downloadable demo files are, as Greg Houston says, "Absolutely awesome". But having worked with Amplesound a bit more, and still struggling with some aspects of it, I feel that it's partly left to the customer to figure out.

Again, as Greg H says, "The manual is just missing some content." My feeling is that the missing content is possibly the important stuff.

Looking forward to the video tutorials.

Steve
A fresh strumming tutorial by Reverend. Learn strumming with Ample Guitar in a few minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEeu1qwz47o

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:01 pm

NEW:

TABS

**1. Add drag tab to track ability for easy exporting of the tablature to MIDI.

ISSUES

**4. If you load a tab into a guitar in one project, then open another project and load a different tab into a guitar, if you go back to the original project it will have the incorrect tab loaded. It will have the tab loaded from the second project.

**5. The VST instrument MIDI out when playing a tab does not output anything.

MOST DESIRED

PATCHES AND MIDI SUGGESTIONS/WISHLIST

1. !!!!!Ability to drag sequencer pattern onto DAW track.

2. !!!Make a patch library so you don't have to leave the instrument to demo and load patterns and banks. XLN Audio Addictive Drums has a nice patch library. Sugar Bytes Guitarist has an okay patch library though not nearly as nice as the one in Addictive Drums.

OTHER

1. !!!Master Tune for adjusting tuning in cents. Need a quick and easy way to tune to A432 instead of A440.

SEQUENCER SUGGESTIONS/WISHLIST

1. !!!Add a Sequencer Play Button so I can work on a pattern while the project
is not playing and not have to hold down a key on my MIDI controller.

2. !!!Add a toggle to temporarily override the pattern selection keyswitches so that while editing in the sequencer the pattern that you have currently selected plays continuously.

CHORDS

1. !!!Add ability to drag a chord from one slot in Chord Bank to another so that the two chords exchange places. E.g., if you drag chord 6 to the chord 1 position, the two chords are switched.
Last edited by Greg Houston on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRian
657 posts since 14 Sep, 2013 from Ample Sound

Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:48 pm

Hi, Greg. Thanks for you prompt feedback. Midiout will be added in the next update. Projects in the current version share same tab path, which will be independent too.

KVRist
476 posts since 28 Jun, 2002 from Vancouver, Canada

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:43 pm

Hi guys ... love the plug! I got all of the acoustics in the bundle, and I'm quite pleased with how they're performing for me.

Here's a feature I would love to see:

Please add a knob that will globally increase/decrease the MIDI velocity of all notes in a strum pattern. This knob should include a switch so that it either reduces all velocities by the SAME amount, or optionally compresses the velocities so that they maintain relative dynamic range. By way of example, in a 4-step phrase:

Original: 100|50|50|100
Reduced by 20: 80|30|30|80
Compressed: 80|40|40|80

I built this feature into my Kontakt library UNDERSCORE (without the compression), and you can see it visualized here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvZ3o9a9lRs#t=470

Combining that feature with the drag-patterns-to-host suggestion would be ideal, as it would then copy the modulated-velocity version of the pattern.

Thanks!

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:55 pm

MacQ wrote: Please add a knob that will globally increase/decrease the MIDI velocity of all notes in a strum pattern.
+1 and added to the list.

I was actually hoping this is what the MIDI sensitivity feature did, but not so. I'm not clear on what that does, but I often want to lower the velocity on all notes and end up doing it by hand which is not particularly fun. The sequence editor in it's current state is really clunky to work with.
Last edited by Greg Houston on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:04 pm

Another feature that I would put at the top of my list is having a setting that will automatically strum if more than 1 note is played simultaneously in Pick Mode and more than 2 notes are played simultaneously in Finger Mode. This is one feature that still makes MusicLab's RealGuitar a lot easier to get nice results with when hand coding the MIDI or using an external sequencer.

As it is, Ample Sound guitar plays multiple notes like a piano which doesn't make any sense at all. Again, RealGuitar doesn't make this strange mistake.

KVRAF

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:02 am

Thanks for suggestions! We will re-design Strummer panel in future.

KVRer
2 posts since 28 Oct, 2013 from London

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:47 pm

Bought the Martin late last night, after checking out a few options.

I was in need of a modern strum engine; your interface looked good, and the samples sounded great.

The download and install were very smooth, and the instructions clear. Thumbs up for the comprehensive instructions - the work has paid off.

However, there is one VERY serious issue with this software, as pointed out in the No 1 "Issues" raised above: latency. ("1. Initial adjustment for latency/delay can be a pain. This needs work. Out of literally hundreds of VST instruments I have used in Cubase, this is the first instrument I've run into this issue with.")

Like (probably) 100% DAW users, I compose/arrange with sections of the song looped.

It is, as you say, necessary to set the track delay to at least minus 50ms for the engine to strum in time. (More like -120 ms my current project.)

Having made this adjustment, the Strum engine now drops out every single time the cycle starts again. And it doesn't just miss the first couple of beats: often it will cycle through a full 8 bars again before starting up!

I am using about a brand-new very highly spec'd machine (i7 4770, Asus Z87, 32 Gb of RAM, Windows 7 64bit pro), and - like the poster above - do not have this issue with any of the dozens of VSTs I've used over the years. Sadly, unless this is resolved - or unless I'm missing something - this makes the Ample Guitar strumming engine completely unusable.

Any suggestions. Is there a time-table for an update?

Many thanks

Owen
Owen

Return to “Ample Sound”