Current Ample Sound Guitar Wishlist/Suggestions

Official support for: amplesound.net
KVRian

Topic Starter

551 posts since 28 Jul, 2011 from USA

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Hi Owen. I should probably reword that "issue" at this point, because it is only an issue in the sense that the instrument isn't plug-n-play and can cause initial confusion. It is definitely not an issue of functionality. It will work 100% correctly once you make the proper adjustment (even while looping), and that adjustment should be exactly -50ms track delay in the DAW. Don't use the adjustment in Ample Sound Guitar itself. Note that this is not latency we are adjusting for but the sample start time which allows the guitars to have a more authentic strumming sound than anything else on the market right now. Since it is not latency it is not something that varies from one computer to another. At the time I purchased my first Ample Sound Guitar there was an issue with this and looping, but I reported it and it was fixed in a patch soon after.

Having said that, editing in loops can still be somewhat problematic if you are using keyswitches since some keyswitches need to come before the first note of the measure, but this is something entirely different. I keep meaning to test a couple ideas I have for potential work-arounds for this.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:27 pm

I rewrote my listing for this:
1. Initial adjustment for track delay can cause confusion for new users. I'm not sure much can be done about this except to explain this initial setup step right at the beginning of the manual. Currently it is at 4.2 in the manual and is not labeled well.
  • 1.1 Installation on Mac
  • 1.2 Installation on Windows
  • 1.3 Activation
  • 1.4 Configuring Track Delay for Natural Guitar Sound

KVRian
657 posts since 14 Sep, 2013 from Ample Sound

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:51 pm

We're revising our manual, track delay will be surely explained this time.

KVRist
44 posts since 13 Dec, 2013 from United States

Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:40 am

I left a previous post that wasn't understood or well stated so I'll try again.. I would like a display window in detect mode that confirms the chord AGM is playing. If I strike C1 on the keyboard AGM plays a C MAJOR chord. If I play 4 or 5 notes that make up a chord that fits in a chord progression, AGM should display what that chord is so I can then write it in the chord pattern to be played in a chord sequence. Revrend Nice said in a tutorial , When you are bashing around on a chord and you add a 5th or 7th, it sounds convincing because thats how a guitar is played. I don't know what those chords are because I have no education in music but I most assuredly can hear when they need to be in a chord progression .
Realguitar has a display that tells you what that chord is, so I use it to figure out chord progressions then use that information in AGM. I would like to not use Realguitar.

KVRian

Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:38 am

Hi, I also posted there that you will see the change on the 12th chord bank when a chord is detected.

KVRist
342 posts since 17 Jan, 2005

Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:34 pm

jmann2659 wrote:I left a previous post that wasn't understood or well stated so I'll try again.. I would like a display window in detect mode that confirms the chord AGM is playing. If I strike C1 on the keyboard AGM plays a C MAJOR chord. If I play 4 or 5 notes that make up a chord that fits in a chord progression, AGM should display what that chord is so I can then write it in the chord pattern to be played in a chord sequence. Revrend Nice said in a tutorial , When you are bashing around on a chord and you add a 5th or 7th, it sounds convincing because thats how a guitar is played. I don't know what those chords are because I have no education in music but I most assuredly can hear when they need to be in a chord progression .
Realguitar has a display that tells you what that chord is, so I use it to figure out chord progressions then use that information in AGM. I would like to not use Realguitar.
I second this suggestion very strongly! Thanks for the post Jmann!

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:06 pm

I'll try to remember to post a screenshot later since you guys seem to be missing what Chen is saying. There actually is a display of the name of the chord used when you are in detect mode. Granted, it's location is not particularly obvious and is only visible in the Strummer tab, but it is there.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 pm

Note the location I have highlighted in orange. When in detect mode, this will display the chord detected. I do think however It would be nice to have it next to the Auto HP toggle or under the branding (somewhere in the upper UI) as well so that it can be viewed even while on the main tab.
chord_detect.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRist

Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:07 pm

My apologies Jie, I see now what you are saying. Thankx also to Greg Houston for teaching a 55 yr. old 1st. grader of Ample Guitars.! A picture is worth a thousand words. I am finding now that detect mode isn't working at all after the new update. I think it was working before the update. So its no wonder I was having trouble understanding the obvious.

KVRian

Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:50 pm

What's your DAW? Have you tried on both standalone and DAWs? Make sure you're in detect mode and test with simple chord. For example, press C1, E1 and G1 to detect C Maj.

KVRist

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:22 am

I am using Pro Tools 9 . I tried it in the DAW and also standalone. I switch back and forth from detect to select and no results from detect mode using the C1 to B1 keys for any chord structure. I tried it several week ago and it did work then.

KVRist

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:57 am

Jie, I went through everything again and discovered I was confused on C0 and C1. I have a 61 key key-board and as I said before no music education. What I thought was C1 was C2. Sorry for the distraction. On a 90 key key-board it would have been more obvious to even me.

KVRian

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:20 am

When you press a key, you will see the response on virtual keyboard of Ample Guitar. Besides, the virtual keyboard is in accordance with key layouts of most DAWs except Sonar (two octaves higher than Ample Guitar).

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:55 pm

Added "Desired Workflows" to top of list:

DESIRED WORKFLOWS

Note that each of these has issues right now.

1. Demo arpeggios and riffs from MIDI/Sequence library in Ample Sound Guitar. Drag sequences that work with song to track in DAW. Make variations on them in DAW. If the sequencer was made more sophisticated so that it could do longer sequences (see Sugar Bytes Thesys), control sustain for each note, control strum time, do bends, etc I would buy Sequencer packs of mix-ready sequences for $20 USD. See the MIDI paks XLN Audio sells for Addictive Drums. Where the AD paks come with presets, a bonus would be to include a handful of AmpliTube presets in each of the paks suitable to the style the paks are for.

2. Create arpeggios and riffs in sequencer and drag to DAW.

3. Load tab. Transpose tab to key of current song. Edit tab to fix issues that didn't transpose well and to adjust things like bends and strum directions. Drag desired measure(s) to track on DAW. Arrange and modify in the DAW.

4. Write melodies combining individual notes and chords in DAW or record directly from controller without having to use keyswitches to make the chords strum unless I don't like the default fingering, strum direction, etc. the guitar comes up with for the chord. See MusicLab RealGuitar for this super easy to use functionality that makes it so anyone can instantly create melodies with both notes and chords without needing to know any advanced features unless they wish to do more advanced things. This should be the default mode in the guitar. You load the guitar for the first time, start playing it like a piano and it plays notes and strums the chords you play without having to know anything about keyswitches. Keyswitches are then used when you want greater control.

In general the idea is that the sequencer/sequence library and tabs are a resource to pull riffs and arpeggios from and placed into the DAW where they are then further developed and arranged along with the rest of the tracks in the mix, e.g., drums, bass, keys, vocals, etc. Editing is generally done a few measures at a time with those measures being looped so it is very helpful if keyswitches work at the beginning of a measure rather than having to come immediately before it. One workaround for this in Cubase that brings it's own issues is to use an expression map. I have found that If you trigger keyswitches with an expression map that the keyswitches can be fired off exactly when you want them to work rather than immediately before, but this adds it's own complexity to the workflow.

KVRian
507 posts since 28 Oct, 2012 from Argentina

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:30 pm

If I may add a request, or question (in case it is not feasible):

I think exporting tabs to midi is an excellent feature. But what I would REALLY like would be to export tabs to Ample Sound midi tracks, that is, midi tracks with the articulation instructions too.

I think someone told me this could not be done, but I would think that if the guitar can read the tab and play every articulation, it should also be possible to translate these articulations to a midi track. Am I wrong?

Otherwise, exporting a complicated tab to midi is of relative use to me. A lot of work to get the midi to sound the same, before even starting to edit it and adjust it to my needs!

Return to “Ample Sound”