IRDust (prototype convolver)

Official support for: signaldust.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Works good, unless i need to reopen saved file. VST loader stops on this plugin when loading, after that freezes entire program.
I've tried without impulse response too. It reloads with no troubles, but it doesnt do any magick then :)

IRDust was my first attempt to convolution plugins, but i've tried Freeverb3 and NadIR after that and they work without problems here.
Hi, I did some debugging in Jeskola Buzz, it hangs in IRDust right after calling AudioEffectX::setChunk(). The problem seems to be that IRDust relies on a preceeding call to AudioEffectX::resume() before calling the AudioEffectX::setChunk() method. However the VST loader calls AudioEffectX::resume() right after AudioEffectX::setChunk() when loading a session.

polac wrote:
Works good, unless i need to reopen saved file. VST loader stops on this plugin when loading, after that freezes entire program.
I've tried without impulse response too. It reloads with no troubles, but it doesnt do any magick then :)

IRDust was my first attempt to convolution plugins, but i've tried Freeverb3 and NadIR after that and they work without problems here.
Hi, I did some debugging in Jeskola Buzz, it hangs in IRDust right after calling AudioEffectX::setChunk(). The problem seems to be that IRDust relies on a preceeding call to AudioEffectX::resume() before calling the AudioEffectX::setChunk() method. However the VST loader calls AudioEffectX::resume() right after AudioEffectX::setChunk() when loading a session.
Yeah, sorry for not having had time to look into this yet. I took a quick look at the source and I couldn't see any obvious reason why setChunk() before resume() should make any difference, but I'll try it in Buzz with a debugger when I can find a moment.

Lee702 wrote:Any plans on adding length adjustment knob?
+1

Thanks for such a great freebie.
It's easy if you know how

How should such a length adjustment knob work? Percentage of IR length? Should it fade-out somehow?

It's not technically difficult to add such a feature, but it'd need a bit more complete specification first.

Reverberate LE has a great implementation of ADSHR and additional impulse length options, but it may be difficult to implement it that way.
I think length + adjustable fade-out would do the job and keep it simple.

One great addition would be placing left and right arrows for browsing IR files on the GUI once you've loaded the first one. That would greatly speed up the workflow, without unnecessary opening of folder window when you want to listen to another IR file.
Once again, Reverberate LE is a good example.

lesha wrote:One great addition would be placing left and right arrows for browsing IR files on the GUI once you've loaded the first one. That would greatly speed up the workflow, without unnecessary opening of folder window when you want to listen to another IR file.
Once again, Reverberate LE is a good example.
Oh right, so I agree that the "Open file" dialog is far from ideal work-flow. It's just one of those things that I did to quickly get things working, with the intention of fixing "at some later date" and haven't got around to doing that yet. Essentially the same reason right-click (rather than a separate button) is used to clear the selected IR.

Didn't know about the right click, thanks for the tip! :)

mystran wrote:
polac wrote:

Yeah, sorry for not having had time to look into this yet. I took a quick look at the source and I couldn't see any obvious reason why setChunk() before resume() should make any difference, but I'll try it in Buzz with a debugger when I can find a moment.
I don't know if you're still interested in maintaining this plugin, however I'm getting exactly the same error in Tracktion 6 x64 on Win7 x64. I can load and use the plugin fine, but opening a saved project with IRDust in it hangs on load and requires termination from the Task Manager. I'm glad I was just toying around and not using it on a well developed project, because that project file is permanently defunct. Plugin works fine otherwise.

mystran wrote:So any bugs found, or anything else I should add (besides pre-delay, I guess), before I declare this thing to be "stable" and call it 1.0?
hi mystran,
thanks for another signaldust goodie!
as always i'm late to the party and thisone went totally under my radar.
but here you go, you asked - i'll answer :):
how about...

- 2 up/down dragable numeric fields to adjust start and endpoint for the ir? to set the range?
- fade in/out possibilities over the entire range of the ir?
- set the fade curves freely between neg. exponential to linear to pos. exponential?

reason i'm asking is, i use ir reverbs exclusively for creative purposes, and with these features one can edit the ir to be a gated reverb/reverse reverb, as well as being able to cut off some unnecessary length of the ir if not needed, both, at the begining, to get a different character or getting rid of annoying early reflections and the end, as quite a lot ir's are far from correctly cut, etc...

there's only one ir reverb that can do this successfully (voxengo pristine space which has 8 channels and pristine space light which has 2 channels [which was discontinued, because it was sold to cakewalk]. it allows you to freely draw a curve for amp, pan, high and lowpass and lets you set the range of the ir. that way you can do all sorts of great unreal reverb based stuff with it that you couldn't do with anything algorithmic.

what do you think?
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Just noticed the x64 version of this crashes Tracktion 4 if you open a project which has an instance of it, in it.

Thanks for this freebee.

Works great in Reaper (Reaper's ReaVerb is NOT true stereo).

Some of my impulse files are AIF. These can not be loaded in IRDust.

Thank you!

Sounding very good :)

Do I get true stereo when using same IR on left and right?
Or do I need L to S and R to S files? And where can I find any?

G-Sun wrote: Do I get true stereo when using same IR on left and right?
Or do I need L to S and R to S files? And where can I find any?
You need two IR files, with L->LR and R->LR responses, that's really the point of the true stereo mode (each channel is convolved separately into stereo signals, the results are added together).

Using the same IR for both channels works, but it's simply equivalent to using the "mono to stereo" mode, just less efficient in terms of CPU and memory.

As for finding some, I can't really help much with that. Sometimes they come with 2 channels, sometimes they come with 4 channels (typically split to 2 files, which is what IRDust supports).

G-Sun wrote:Or do I need L to S and R to S files? And where can I find any?
Couple of libraries I know of:
Free or donationware: http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-i ... responses/
Likeware: http://www.littledevilstudios.com.au/le ... e-library/

There are also paid ones, but I will let you find them yourself.

Return to “Signaldust”