Alesis Q Card Images

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
KVRer
11 posts since 16 Apr, 2018

Post Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:34 am

Does anyone still have any of the Alesis Q Card image files?
Every link I could find online is a dead end.
Last edited by dragonslair on Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRer
17 posts since 20 Apr, 2011

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:13 am

I have a couple of Q cards. On eBay there used to be a guy who suggested he was the only one licensed by Alesis to make Q card clones, he also indicated he could 'burn' more roms on one card. Unfortunately his prices were not very attractive, suggesting the rom cards were hard to come by or something along that line. Do you have all the necessary hardware to make those Q cards?

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:20 am

Yes I have all the hardware and software required to make copies of the cards, and I have half a dozen blank 8meg flash cards
I would just buy the Qcards off Ebay, but these guys are are friggin nuts on their prices, I have 3 cards that I picked up locally for $25 each.
Vintage Synth
Classical Instruments
Pop Rock
I have made images of these cards, and burned them to new cards as a test, and they work perfectly.
I have heard about that guy on Ebay, you can put two images on one 16meg card, but it also requires you to modify your synth and add a switch to change the address line.
There is also an ad on Reverb where a guy in Russia has a QS6 for sale, and it comes with a cd with all the Qcard images on it.
He will not sell the cd separately, and he will not copy it for anyone, he will only sell it with the synth, so we know those files are out there, it's just a matter of finding them.

KVRer

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:42 am

Cool that you really researched this topic and have some working images already. I still have 4 Alesis synths (QSR, QuadraSynth Plus Piano, Micron, S4) but currently with very little rack space [and loads of rack synths] nothing in actual use. I started out with the S4 (think at some point had three of them) and remember being blown away by some of the presets that are quite unique. Never took the time to learn to program them. These are the cards in my possession, some overlap with yours :

Vintage Synthesizers
Classical
Rap Techno Dance
Eurodance
Stereo Grand Piano Plus
World Ethnic

If you lived around the corner I wouldn't mind lending them to you (maybe a decent synth as 'collateral' if you were the unreliable, careless, stringing along 'musician type') but I am guessing we live thousands of miles apart.

Are these the cards we collectively don't have or are there even more?

Alesis Q Card "Sanctuary"
Alesis Q Card "Stereo Jazz Piano"
Alesis Q Card "Hip Hop"
Alesis Q Card "Latin"

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:57 am

I am in Hope BC. Canada, if anyone nearby has any Qcards.

The following Q Cards and Quadracards were released for Alesis synthesizers:

Classical (Quadracard)
Pop Rock (Quadracard)
Stereo Grand Piano (Quadracard)
World Ethnic (Quadracard)
Classical Instruments Plus
EuroDance
Hip Hop Grooves & Instruments
Latin
Rap Techno Dance
Sanctuary
Stereo Classical Piano
Stereo Grand Piano Plus
Stereo Jazz Piano
Vintage Keyboards
Vintage Synthesizers

It would be nice to find all the images, but I'll take what I can get, the "Sanctuary" card is supposed to be really good.

KVRer

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:33 am

Just listened to 'Sanctuary' on synthmania (what a virtuoso this man Paolo Di Nicolantonio is!) and this card seems quite interesting indeed; Stereo Jazz Piano and Vintage Keyboards tickle my fancy too. I forgot that Vintage Synthesizers include Classic Beatboxes and when you hear Paolo play the Vintage Synthesizers Q card it is clear that this must be one of his favorites. Perhaps this card, that we both own, IS the best of the series?

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:56 pm

I talked to the guy in Russia, and he still will not send me ALL the files, but he did send me 4 files, so now I have images of
Vintage Synth
Classical Instruments Plus
Pop Rock
Sanctuary
Vintage Keyboards
Stereo Grand Piano Plus
Stereo Jazz Piano
Rap Techno Dance
World Ethnic

I tried out the Vintage Keyboards, and it worked fine.
These are .img files, they can be burned to a card using Soundbridge and my QS8, but it takes about an hour per card.
The better way is to convert them to .bin files, and burn them to cards in the computer, takes about 4 minutes.

Now all we need are the rest of the files (as he rubs his hot sweaty hands together, and laughs uncontrollably)

Sorry about that, I'm feeling MUCH better now.
Last edited by dragonslair on Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRer

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:04 pm

dragonslair wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:56 pm
I talked to the guy in Russia, and he still will not send me ALL the files, but he did send me 4 files
That's pretty generous of him. Been reading Ben Weaver's document on the subject and I think it is a bit too demanding for me; maybe just within my reach if I would stumble upon linear flash cards. Generating an image of existing cards seems not that hard if one has Soundbridge and an old laptop. Having read much trash talk tonight about these expansion cards I am not even sure I still want to have more of them but perhaps I could *.img the ones I have. To be continued.

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:53 pm

Soundbridge cannot make image files, it can only write them, and even that is tricky, you have to have Type 1 cards.
The QS can read type 2 cards, but it can't write to them, you have to write them on a computer using Elan's Memory Card Explorer.
Most of the cards you will find will be type 2 or ATA cards, but from what I have read, you can't use ATA cards, but I am not 100% sure of that, I need to find some to test with.
I only have 1 Flash card, and it's a type 2, I tries burning an .img file to it from Soundbridge, Soundbridge says it is sending, and the QS says it is receiving, but once it is finished (about 50 minutes later) nothing has changed on the card.
You can't burn .img files with MCE, they have to be converted to .bin, then they work fine.
If I can find some type 1 cards, I'll try burning one in the QS again.
So for now, the hunt is on for 8mb flash cards that are not ridiculously priced.

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:18 am

Update:
I picked up the image files for Rap Techno Dance and World Ethnic, so we are getting there (I updated my previous list)
I tried some ATA cards, and I can confirm that they do not work, you need type 1 or 2 cards.
The reason Soundbridge did not work, is that my 8mb card is toast, I have more cards on the way, so once I get them, I'll give it another go.

KVRer

Post Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:52 am

dragonslair wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:18 am
Update:
I picked up the image files for Rap Techno Dance and World Ethnic, so we are getting there (I updated my previous list)
Your determination to get the entire series is impressive. I - from memory - can concur with Synthmania's high praise of the EuroDance card "The EuroDance is surely one of the best in the series, providing excellent, big, well-produced quality sounds for the electronic and dance genres", the 'Gretchen' happy house/happy hardcore demo made me smile anyway, I am gonna try that genre just for fun.

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:19 am

With the help of Google Translate, and the Wayback Machine, I managed to find the rest of the Qcard images, so now I have all of them, I also found the .syx files for all the extra banks that came on the floppy disks with the Qcards.
Now all I need are some blank 8mb pcmcia cards to write them to, I have a couple 4mb and 8mb cards coming to test with.
I picked up some 4mb cards, but they don't work in my QS8, even though they are AMD C/D cards (which is what Alesis specs)
Apparently there was a problem with some AMD C/D 8mb cards regarding the addressing, and they do not work in any QS synth with dual PCMCIA slots, but they do work in synths with only 1 slot, so I would assume that these 4mb cards have the same problem. I am currently looking for someone local with a QS6 that I can test them in.
The cards in question have metal casings, whereas the the ones with ceramic casings work in all QS synths.
I tried overwriting a Qcard, but the are formatted as a WORM drive, and cannot be overwritten, so I am on the search for a program that can reformat these cards as a standard I/O card (if any exist).

Just out of curiosity, I tried the cards in my Amiga 1200, the Amiga displays the correct type and size of card, but when you try to format, it says the cards are write protected, so they will not work in it either, they have to be ATA type cards.
I'll have to search Aminet and see if there are any utilities that can work with these (you never know with Amiga stuff).

So the quest continues...

KVRer
3 posts since 10 May, 2021

Post Mon May 10, 2021 8:39 am

New KVRer. I am interested in acquiring the Q-Card library for my QS Plus and DM Pro. Have succeded in writing custom samples via an old laptop with soundbridge and mce to linear flash I purchased nearly 25 years ago. Apparently my search skillz are not as well honed as I thought, for I have not as yet located even 1 of the files. As a new member, I don't think I can PM. Any help would be appreciated.

KVRer

Post Mon May 10, 2021 10:01 am

WhaddaYaKnow, found "Pop Rock" + "Techno Rap Dance" 13 to go?

KVRer

Post Mon May 10, 2021 10:36 am

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Fortune favors the diligent - https://www.4shared.com/postDownload/At ... cards.html (https://www.4shared.com/postDownload/AtPP0U9u/alesis_qcards.html)

Return to “Soundware”