Super Long Startup Time and General Slowness

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trying to work out if this is specific to my computer or if others are having the same experience.

Latest Bitwig release 2.4.2

From clicking the Bitwig icon in the dock to seeing the main screen with settings panel open is about 28 seconds. In use it generally feels sluggish, more than previously.

No hardware changes etc from 2.3 - 2.4.2 so identical setup, same audio drivers and devices.

Spec is as follows:
MacPro 6,1 64Gb Ram
macOS 10.14.1

Cheers
MacPro 6,1 // Live 11 // Bitwig 4 // Reason 12 // Logic X // Soundtoys // U-he // FabFilter // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

Bitwig 2.4.2 takes less startup time than its previous versions,not saying it's super fast as other daws but still quite faster.

I think this might be specific to your computer or macbook model.Please report it to bitwig asap along with your full computer specs.
support@bitwig.com

On my Mac Pro 6.1 it takes half of that... But I am on Sierra...

I think it's connected to the amount of VSTs and files being indexed... On me it takes almost one minute to start :/

~14 Seconds on Windows 10.

v2.4.2 opens in about 20s here on KDE Neon User Edition (Ubuntu 16.04 base)
SSD recommended of course.

Also I only have /usr/lib/vst/ as a non-default location specified.
((( ~ )))

22 seconds here... MacBook Pro 2016 - 10.14.1

10.4 sec, 2010 Mac Pro 5.1, El Capitan.

18.5 sec on the same machine but running High Sierra. The time difference is actually waiting on the audio engine in BWS to start, I don't know why. Also, there is no library or plugins instaled on the High Sierra drive.

This is one of the many reasons I stick with El Capitan on this old machine. It's simply faster/snappier all around.
-JH

Thanks for the replies everyone. It looks as though it is system dependent with a variety of load times and experiences. I did wonder if macOS using Metal now would have something to do with it but Bitwig doesn't leverage GPU so that's obviously not the case.
MacPro 6,1 // Live 11 // Bitwig 4 // Reason 12 // Logic X // Soundtoys // U-he // FabFilter // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

6 seconds here windows 10 with a Samsung 970evo ssd
BWS 5.0.6,Spark LE, V Collection 9.2 BS1 & BS PRO, KS & KS pro keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,LPP ProFx8 v2 Icon m+, KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 1TB NVMe.M2 msi x99a sli + NV GF Gt710, Matrix Brute Roland TR8S

turbo_kev wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:35 am 6 seconds here windows 10 with a Samsung 970evo ssd
How many custom locations do you have specified in the settings?
((( ~ )))

wavedigit wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:25 am
turbo_kev wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:35 am 6 seconds here windows 10 with a Samsung 970evo ssd
How many custom locations do you have specified in the settings?
If you mean different vst locations
I have 18. because I used to be a Cubase user and had vst´s scattered in folders all over the place
so I just added them all in BWS and yes they are all set to scan for changes .

I put the fast bootup down to the Samsung 970 evo ssd pcie Gen 3x4 its so fast
and only the size of a stick of gum

cheers
kev
BWS 5.0.6,Spark LE, V Collection 9.2 BS1 & BS PRO, KS & KS pro keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,LPP ProFx8 v2 Icon m+, KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 1TB NVMe.M2 msi x99a sli + NV GF Gt710, Matrix Brute Roland TR8S

I have a few hundred thousand files it's indexing, so I blame that.

Around 4-8 seconds startup on my main machine and on the laptop, both from SSD, both i7, both Windows 8.1 x64 with lots of RAM.
Hundreds of VSTs, but no audio libraries connected - I don't use the BWS browser for that, but Resonic Pro instead.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Return to “Bitwig”