Record Sysex in track

Official support for: bitwig.com
KVRer
28 posts since 28 Nov, 2009

Post Sun May 02, 2021 5:41 am

Thanks. Sorry I did read it, but didn't realise you appear to mean the standalone panel has to be open too, even though the panel is running in VST of Bitwig. I'll give this a go!

KVRer
4 posts since 16 Jan, 2020

Post Sun May 02, 2021 11:28 am

Hi. The VST itself communicates directly with your MIDI hardware. In other words, you shouldn't have the stand alone panel open.
VSTs are actually just executable programmes like stand alone programmes, the only difference is that a VST communicates with the DAW. For example, FL Studio can run as a VST in another DAW (I've run it in Bitwig lol, so that's a DAW running as a VST in another DAW!).
So the Ctrlr VST will talk directly to your MIDI hardware, even though it's in Bitwig as a VST. What's so useful about having it as a VST, is that it will save the sysex data in that VST plugin instance in your Bitwig track. In other words, say you have a hardware synth, you can save the sysex for your synth patch in the same track as the synth's MIDI notes, which is really useful when recalling projects or recalling a MIDI track that you bounced, you just have to open the Ctrlr VST and click the Send Sysex button and it will send the sysex data to your synth. It's just a way of storing the sysex with the MIDI track.

KVRAF
3123 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Sun May 02, 2021 12:38 pm

This is cool. In the years since this thread started I went ahead and bought MidiQuest. I'm still curious about this Ctrlr VST.

Return to “Bitwig”