Time Stretching Midi, is it possible?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I requested this a long time ago, so it's somewhere on their list of hundreds of feature requests.

It would be great for experimental music too.

And no, it's not like quantisation at all. Since quantise always snaps to the nearest right division, whereas if you imagine a 1 minute clip played at 90 bpm stretched to 120, the notes at the end need to move quite a lot.

Taika-Kim wrote:I requested this a long time ago, so it's somewhere on their list of hundreds of feature requests.
Requested it, too, if I remember correctly. :wink: Oh, it would be so useful! Don't know whether it makes sense to write them again :?
Also would be nice for doing weird polyrhythmic stuff if implemented in a clever way (depends where the stretching handles can be - only at note start or maybe also at the end? +Which note starts/ends will snap to grid/events/relative grid position).

There is glitchy stuff that can be done, like generating notes from audio (that can be stretched), but it's really not the same...

This is indeed one feature i’ve missed alot... hope it will come in the near future!

Kung VU wrote:But in midi you just need to relocate the midi events, which is what record quantization gives you, doesn't it?
When you stretch you scale (multiply/divide), you don't add/subtract. So not only the notes change (timing)position but also length.

If you stretch 50% a quarter note on beat 1.3 it become a eighth note on beat 1.2.

I've requested it in 2014, too. Their todo list must be very long. It's a convenient thing to stretch midi when you have recorded an idea at a different tempo just because.

+1
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

+2,
+ they could add a midi option" do not sync, follow -this midi event - with tempo- or a kind of anchor for midi events.

Sorry to bump this old thread, just wondering if this has been implemented yet.

Scoox wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:01 pm Sorry to bump this old thread, just wondering if this has been implemented yet.
Yes it has....

pdxindy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:40 pm
Scoox wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:01 pm Sorry to bump this old thread, just wondering if this has been implemented yet.
Yes it has....
Sweet! So if I select a bunch of notes, how do I time-stretch the selection? I can't figure it out.

Speaking of experiment: it should be possible to have an independent clip note counter implementation.

Scoox wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:49 pm
Yes it has....
Sweet! So if I select a bunch of notes, how do I time-stretch the selection? I can't figure it out.
Select the notes you want to stretch and alt-drag the edge of the selection to scale them up or down

pdxindy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:16 pm
Scoox wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:49 pm
Yes it has....
Select the notes you want to stretch and alt-drag the edge of the selection to scale them up or down
Thanks!

Scoox wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:49 pm Sweet! So if I select a bunch of notes, how do I time-stretch the selection? I can't figure it out.
I think how they implemented stretching is the most comprehensive of all DAWs :o

https://youtu.be/y7ZPwFEjSns
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Bitwig”