Hi guys, I just got Bitwig after testing it out the entire weekend. I'm hoping to leave Cubase behind for Bitwig but the transition will be tougher than necessary because of a few workflow changes that I thought Bitwig would've added by now since my last demo when it was released a year ago. Dom I hope you read this mate, you'll get much, much more people like me switching over from Cubase for production work if you add the following, and this is just what struck me after 2/3 days using it.
1, Mouse Wheel support of mixer and device knobs
2, really need a key tracking lock in the Bitwig sampler for dropping in new samples whilst a clip is playing. every time a new sample is dropped in key tracking turns of and ruins the playback of the clip
3, Fix HAlion 5, please, please, please, fix Halion 5, pretty please
4, add a playhead to the sample window in the Bitwig sampler, it's way too hard to do tight edits and another reason why you need to fix Halion 5 to work without crashing
5, fade in and out handles on all audio clips, i thought you would've added this by now, really needed
6, Envelope shapes for automation, it takes way too long to do what i can do in seconds with Cubase using the envelope shapes to automate anything i want. Bitwig forces you to draw it all out and waste time, the function where you hold alt (on a PC) to make cuvres is ok, but not good enough. We really need shapes guys
7, right click tool bar, i'm already getting frustrated having to scroll to the header or press numbers on my keyboard which means taking my hands away from my synth. Why can't we have the tools at the top of the existing box that shows up after a right mouse click? It's only tiny boxes so it can't be much to add? Ableton users won't appreciate this but trust me, Cubase users will. Also please add a magnifier for zooming, glue tool for consolidation and of course automation shapes. Even Melodyne Editor has a right click tool bar.
8, 3rd party plugins need to show up on screen where you left them last, this is driving me nuts already
9, something like the Cubase quick link to select a number of tracks to assign there outputs to a group buss. At the moment you have to do each track one by one. Just adding a function to allow us to hold down alt or ctrl whilst selecting a number of tracks to route would be ok, this is how it was in Cubase 5 & 6 before they added quick link
10, proper cross fading functions, every serious daw needs proper cross fade functions
Other features that would be really nice to see but i can put up with for now are; (Again keep in mind i've been using Bitwig for 2/3 days now)
- Track pics or Icons would be nice
- Proper Group tracks with their own icon
- with the routing engine create a control room mixer to set up cue mixes and monitor control with midi so you can assign controllers to switch monitors
- option to apply quantize in realtime as you change the percentage value
- ability to quantize by pressing Q whilst having the clip selected or the midi clip window open instead of having to select all the notes. (global quantize on recorded clips is not an alternative)
- Crop sample function like in Ableton, midi version would be cool too, time saver
- when selecting the far end of any event, the cursor needs to change (like in Cubase) so you can shorten the clip. You shouldn't have to zoom out to select the end of the event to resize it
- resizable mixer would be nice
- faders should get the same colour as the channel header or put a colour strip below the fader too
I hope I'm not coming off as negative because i purchased Bitwig for a good reason, it has major league potential imo. I'm really hoping the Bitwig team realize they've already got Ableton beat, it's time to start adding the features to get the linear daw users to switch and never go back. For now i'll still be using Cubase for some tasks until Bitwig fulfills it's pontential, once that happens, bye Steinberg.
Last edited by Bobby L'Avenir on Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.