Bitwig vs Ableton and other DAWs. User thoughts please!

Official support for: bitwig.com
irre
KVRAF
4389 posts since 21 Jan, 2008 from oO

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:04 pm

i also switched over from cubase a while ago, not much missing for me tho..some is in your list and also on Bitwigs list since already requested, but better make sure to send feature wishes over to tech support since they might be overlooked here.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=420129

qtheerearranger
KVRian
588 posts since 26 Mar, 2014 from Denver, Co

Re: Bitwig vs Ableton and other DAWs. User thoughts please!

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:26 pm

For number 8 on your list, I can confirm that support is working on this.

I am pretty sure the bug is related to mac w/ multiple displays. Last time I checked in on the issue with support (at least 3 months ago) they said they were waiting on apples reply about how they handle displays or something along that line.
• Studio One 3.2.2
• OS X El Capitan 10.11.3
• Mac Pro (Late 2013)
• 2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
• 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC
• 2x Daisy-Chained Universal Audio Apollo Quads

- Olley Ollet

Bobby L'Avenir
KVRist
344 posts since 2 Jun, 2015

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:15 pm

qtheerearranger wrote:For number 8 on your list, I can confirm that support is working on this.

I am pretty sure the bug is related to mac w/ multiple displays. Last time I checked in on the issue with support (at least 3 months ago) they said they were waiting on apples reply about how they handle displays or something along that line.
I'm on a PC running Win 7 x64

owensands
KVRian
696 posts since 27 Mar, 2014

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:22 pm

qtheerearranger wrote:For number 8 on your list, I can confirm that support is working on this.

happens on PC as well. Annoying as hell.

qtheerearranger
KVRian
588 posts since 26 Mar, 2014 from Denver, Co

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:01 pm

Im right there with y'all it is annoying as nails on a chalkboard.

Im hoping for a ton of little fixes like this in 1.2 tbh
• Studio One 3.2.2
• OS X El Capitan 10.11.3
• Mac Pro (Late 2013)
• 2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
• 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC
• 2x Daisy-Chained Universal Audio Apollo Quads

- Olley Ollet

owensands
KVRian
696 posts since 27 Mar, 2014

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:47 pm

qtheerearranger wrote:Im right there with y'all it is annoying as nails on a chalkboard.

Im hoping for a ton of little fixes like this in 1.2 tbh
Yeah I bet dollars to donuts they nabbed it in 1.2. *fingers crossed*

kukident-youth
KVRist
76 posts since 22 Oct, 2014

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:06 pm

I tryed logic, worked a whille with live and booth are great, ecspacilly for the audio-engine (eg latency-switch and changing the micro is done by computer within a quarter second - well, there is also a long preference-way to "click it", but the changing itself works fantastic).

But i´m dealing now with BWS, not cause it "selling-features" like x-songs open or sandboxing, tripple-view... nope. I´m on BWS cause it has the best workflow. Not perfect at all, of course not, but with BWS i save so many clicks, i´m almost happy with. And with 1.2 and the promised new audio-engine and the shortys - i will never look back.
I´m hoping that OS-shortys like cmd+tab (app-switch) will first trigger BWS (going to a page/screenset without VST-windows) and then this nasty, always open, VSTis are automaticlly gone with.
Lot of small things i miss/wish, like color (design)-sheme, batch-processing for automation (escpacilly clear all automation for selected arrange-time or bypass all temporaily...), load-time, well, fast access to latency-switch... and hundreds of others... but this are all really small things - i´m already almost happy with BWS, its in so many points near perfect, i can happy live with the imperfect others.
A modern DAW is a high-complex-piece of SW - millions of features, options, wishes, accesses... have to be handled in the smartest, most unconfussing and fastest/most direct and comfortable way.... No, BWS is not perfect, but it is quite near to be perfect and that is amazing.
I wish a lot of things - but i´m also happy with over 90% i already have and that happens really seldom!

well and its not only BWS by developer, its also the community and particularly the scripts here. the APC script by MOSS for example (its also far away from being perfect: extra "pages" for free-midi all;-), options for switch toggle and gate(trigger) mode (best via hold time in the button itself) more "SHIFT"-buttons (also permanent)...... but it is in the current version so rocksolid and already yet the best i have ever used.... thousends of thx for this!

my bottom line: BWS + community - we step the right way!

pdxindy
KVRAF
14941 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:42 am

JBlongz wrote:Background: I use Live since 2004 (over 3,000 projects) for creative work, Logic since version 8 for my personal mixing , ProTools for clients and collaborations, Reason when I'm bored. I am doing new projects in Bitwig and plan to keep it that way...using the other DAWs only for old projects.

Ableton core Advantages:
-independent grooves per clip
-group tracks (coming soon to Bitwig)
-decent sound library (Suite version)
-auto-truncate clips (Live knows you wanted an 8-bar loop when you went slightly over).

Bitwig core Advantages:
-bounce midi clip to audio while retaining track's midi functionality
-Enhanced Interface and multi screen support
-tabbed projects
-Better browser (still needs some tweaks)

Bitwig feels like a fusion of Live and Logic. Yes there are many improvements to be made, but no DAW that I know of has been well-featured at version 1.x as BitWig. The included devices and future modular ideas are great...but most of us who do this for a living are NOT planning to ditch our VSTs and custom libraries. So we professionals look more closely at the features of the sequencer, quality of the sound engine, and workflow. Bitwig is on the right path to become a serious competitor.

Lets be clear...Ableton is more mature at the moment, but maturity will only increase with support, feedback, and patience. Bitwig have some advantages over Live out of the box. Both DAWs have similarities that put workflow ahead of the other companies.
Live also has Time Signature Changes... which is vital to some people and which I use sometimes and don't want to give up

and Midi Step Record... which I am personally attached to

and besides the grooves per track, Live also has groove extract.
Live also currently has more reliable support for hardware instruments

I was excited during the lead up to the Bitwig release. It has some excellent core functions. But 1.0 was quite buggy and in a number of ways incomplete and well over a year later the development pace is not inspiring to me. That is not meant as a criticism as development takes time but there are lingering issues that do not inspire confidence (still has bounce problems). I can see the trajectory and I do not expect Bitwig to get to where it may surpass Live (for me) for a long time yet.

I'm in no hurry as Live works well for me

al yell
KVRer
5 posts since 30 Apr, 2014

Post Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:22 pm

Comparison of Bitwig 1.1.8 and Live 9.1.8: https://youtu.be/Yg556_RCvxk

Return to “Bitwig”