Rescale (stretch) Midi

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

I have a midi drum track (recorded with a roland td4K drum) that has a sloppy tempo, I would like to stretch and adjust it but keep it in midi to correct some parts and make the whole track fit the tempo. The idea is to fetch it to a drum plugin (SSD4) and change the kits, reuse some parts and so on...
I know how to stretch audio clips, it is easy, not for midi clips.
Is it possible?
If not, is this feature planned?

a++
Bzerk.

AFAIK you can only make it twice as long or twice as short while keeping the layout of midi notes proportional to the length of the clip. you cannot stretch it freely like an audio clip ATM i'm affraid :( . Hope this feature is in the pipeline though...

+1

Wouldn't that be more of a case for some quantization?

dom@bitwig wrote:Wouldn't that be more of a case for some quantization?

In cubase, for example, you could stretch a midi file by e.g. 25%, or 50%, or just freely by hand, and all the notes within that file would change their length and position, but they would stay proportionally the same. I can't think of a way of achieving this via quantization TBH...

I did find this feature very useful, although not essential.

dom@bitwig wrote:Wouldn't that be more of a case for some quantization?
Quantize is great for putting things on a grid, but not stretching.

It is not useful for making a 10 second midi clip play in 8 seconds. In this case, Bitwig will only stretch to 5 or 20 seconds.

It would be really cool to have stretch markers in midi too. As I can imagine that would lead to some rather funky effects and not just that my timing sucks ;)

It has been requested before:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=412908

Both Ableton and Reason can do this, and for me it's a very useful feature. I often record me playing piano (using the built-in "metronome" in my head and my feet), and then I want to stretch the data to fit an integer number of bars.

Hi Dom,
No quantize would not help, I would like to adapt the midi track speed (recorded at 140, for instance) to my song at 120.
And since the drummer did not record with a click (live performance) the tempo is not exactly the same at the beginning ant the end.
So I would like to rescale proportionally some part between 2 ticks (or mark, or a selected area).

Maybe, at the end, I would quantize once everything is close to the right place.

I also would like to extracts and stretch some interesting parts of the drum line to compose other songs.

Having a tool that would allow to select an area on the midi editor between 2 bounds, then taking the stretch tool select any note in the selected area and moving it, stretching both the left and right part of the selection around the note would be amazing. I have no experience about how it works on other DAW, maybe they do it in a better way.

Ah, ok, makes sense if it is at the wrong speed.
As you wrote "sloppy timing" in the first post, i thought just the timing would be off and quantize would be easier.
Onto the wish list!

dom@bitwig wrote:Ah, ok, makes sense if it is at the wrong speed.
As you wrote "sloppy timing" in the first post, i thought just the timing would be off and quantize would be easier.
Onto the wish list!

thanks Dom

Thank you Dom.

+1

super useful for making uneven midi sequences eg septuples. draw 7 notes and scale them down into one bar etc.
Everything's spinning.

I was just asking in another thread, I don't think this feature has been added yet. Definitely a very important feature.

Yes, it's available now - hold the ALT key down while you stretch your midi clip.

mrcleats wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:13 pm Yes, it's available now - hold the ALT key down while you stretch your midi clip.
OK I see, so it only works in the arrangement? What if I just want to time-stretch 4 notes in a clip that contains 14 notes? I.e. not all notes. I thought this would work inside of the piano roll. Launcher clips can't be time-stretched as far as I tell.

Edit: I could drag the clip from the launcher to the arrangement, stretch, then drag back... there's gotta be a quicker way.

Return to “Bitwig”