Did you know (Tips and Tricks) NO CHAT!

Official support for: bitwig.com
KVRist
52 posts since 20 Sep, 2019

Post Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:21 pm

xbitz wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:27 pm
been asked to create a video about alternate copy (check your shortkey settings with alternate keyword) which able to create repetitive clip sequences(working with meta clips too)

here it is :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ13cfzlbBM

quite fast way to work especially if it is used with multi clip editing ...
Digging up this oldie cause i am trying to fully understand all the "alternative" Commands in the Keyshort list. But after seeying this vid, i still don't understand. I don't understand what you are exactly doing in this video xbitz, could you plz explain ? Thx in advance !!

KVRian
909 posts since 7 Nov, 2017

Post Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:04 am

vanhaze4000 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:21 pm
xbitz wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:27 pm
been asked to create a video about alternate copy (check your shortkey settings with alternate keyword) which able to create repetitive clip sequences(working with meta clips too)

here it is :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ13cfzlbBM

quite fast way to work especially if it is used with multi clip editing ...
Digging up this oldie cause i am trying to fully understand all the "alternative" Commands in the Keyshort list. But after seeying this vid, i still don't understand. I don't understand what you are exactly doing in this video xbitz, could you plz explain ? Thx in advance !!
On Windows, you simply hold down the Ctrl key before left-clicking a clip (or note) and dragging the new copy to a different place. The modifier key is probably different on OSX.

User avatar
KVRAF
3027 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:58 pm

Yokai wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:04 am
vanhaze4000 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:21 pm
xbitz wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:27 pm
been asked to create a video about alternate copy (check your shortkey settings with alternate keyword) which able to create repetitive clip sequences(working with meta clips too)

here it is :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ13cfzlbBM

quite fast way to work especially if it is used with multi clip editing ...
Digging up this oldie cause i am trying to fully understand all the "alternative" Commands in the Keyshort list. But after seeying this vid, i still don't understand. I don't understand what you are exactly doing in this video xbitz, could you plz explain ? Thx in advance !!
On Windows, you simply hold down the Ctrl key before left-clicking a clip (or note) and dragging the new copy to a different place. The modifier key is probably different on OSX.
So, the interesting part isn't the copies, it's the fact the copies are acting like clones, not separate copies, his editing in one affects all. I haven't been able to duplicate this either.

User avatar
KVRAF
7962 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:42 am

vanhaze4000 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:21 pm
xbitz wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:27 pm
been asked to create a video about alternate copy (check your shortkey settings with alternate keyword) which able to create repetitive clip sequences(working with meta clips too)

here it is :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ13cfzlbBM

quite fast way to work especially if it is used with multi clip editing ...
Digging up this oldie cause i am trying to fully understand all the "alternative" Commands in the Keyshort list. But after seeying this vid, i still don't understand. I don't understand what you are exactly doing in this video xbitz, could you plz explain ? Thx in advance !!
WTF???! Why isn't this more known, especially since myself (and others) have been begging for linked/alias clips for years! I'm at work so can't check it, but does this REALLY work? Or is it just some weird case of editing multiple clips (editor in 'clip' mode rather than 'track')? :o
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRian
527 posts since 29 Jun, 2009

Post Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:50 am

You just need to drag select the midi note, which selects all the same notes in all selected clips.
Ableton :phones:

User avatar
KVRAF
3027 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:13 pm

Biscotto wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:50 am
You just need to drag select the midi note, which selects all the same notes in all selected clips.
Yeah? that's not the behavior here at all.
with both clips selected dragging and deleting notes only affects the last selected clip.

KVRian
527 posts since 29 Jun, 2009

Post Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:49 pm

machinesworking wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:13 pm
Biscotto wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:50 am
You just need to drag select the midi note, which selects all the same notes in all selected clips.
Yeah? that's not the behavior here at all.
with both clips selected dragging and deleting notes only affects the last selected clip.
You need to select all the clips and then in the Layer Editing Mode just Drag/Select the Note ("notes" because in the Layer Mode all of them are available all behind each other) and then edit....
Ableton :phones:

User avatar
KVRAF
3027 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:35 pm

Biscotto wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:49 pm
You need to select all the clips and then in the Layer Editing Mode just Drag/Select the Note ("notes" because in the Layer Mode all of them are available all behind each other) and then edit....
Got it thanks, interesting stuff, I just came into Bitwig but I'm guessing the changes from 2 to 3 make it look different in the video, plus no need for "alternative" copy. It would be a great add to the layer editing to allow pencil insertion of notes, but option/alt dragging of notes works. :)

KVRian
527 posts since 29 Jun, 2009

Post Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:37 pm

machinesworking wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:35 pm
Biscotto wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:49 pm
You need to select all the clips and then in the Layer Editing Mode just Drag/Select the Note ("notes" because in the Layer Mode all of them are available all behind each other) and then edit....
Got it thanks, interesting stuff, I just came into Bitwig but I'm guessing the changes from 2 to 3 make it look different in the video, plus no need for "alternative" copy. It would be a great add to the layer editing to allow pencil insertion of notes, but option/alt dragging of notes works. :)
:tu:
Ableton :phones:

KVRAF
8939 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:02 pm

I have to mention an excellent combination for capturing VST instrument sounds to use in Bitwig's Sampler. Freestyle by NewSonicArts can "freeze" entire racks of instruments/effects within it, which creates multi-samples at defined note intervals and velocities for a chosen duration. Using Moss' excellent Multisamplegenerator tool (link below), you can quickly create a bitwig multisample file, or even an entire directory of files mimicking the sample source folder structure (leaves original samples in place). It now works with the Freestyle instrument freeze sample naming format with no tweaks.
Great way to capture sounds for granular/mpe or as a grid sample source.

http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Bitw ... rator.html
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

KVRAF
3150 posts since 3 Oct, 2013 from Budapest

Post Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:22 pm

"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

User avatar
KVRAF
7962 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:54 pm

machinesworking wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:35 pm
plus no need for "alternative" copy.
Why you say that? That's totally not true and it's still very much needed.
machinesworking wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:35 pm
It would be a great add to the layer editing to allow pencil insertion of notes, but option/alt dragging of notes works. :)
Just switch the tool to draw/pencil?
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRAF
7962 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:08 pm

xbitz wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:22 pm
^^^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8oec1V2SeI
Great, but that sounds like s**t compared to the original arp using Spire...

The problem with such tools - which also applies to Renoise, DSP Bliss or Sample Robot - that they're capturing VSTs in the same way: pitch + velocity.

And this is where Bitwig has a space to innovate - it should allow to also capture change in other parameters, ideally any parameter(s) user would choose. Then update the sampler to facilitate loading of such multi-dimensional sample layers - you have pitch going left/right, velocity going up/down and those additional parameters would go back/forth in multiple dimensions. Obviously, the sample pool would inevitably be much larger (e.g. a bass at C1, velocity of 64, cutoff at 2kHz, resonance at 75%), but also the expression you could get from them would be much closer to that of the captured VST.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRAF
3027 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:32 am

antic604 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:54 pm
machinesworking wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:35 pm
plus no need for "alternative" copy.
Why you say that? That's totally not true and it's still very much needed.
machinesworking wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:35 pm
It would be a great add to the layer editing to allow pencil insertion of notes, but option/alt dragging of notes works. :)
Just switch the tool to draw/pencil?
OK you're commenting like you've somehow gotten it to work outside of the video shown. Have you? or are you basing this off of perceived functionally? I've gotten this behavior to work exactly like shown in Xbitz's video, without using Alternative Copy, and only with Alt/Option dragging notes to duplicate like shown in the video.

Using the pencil tool does not replicate this behavior, it only makes notes in the clip you're currently in. Option/Alt dragging makes new notes in all copies of the clips you select. In fact Option/Alt dragging seems to be the only way, if you select without lassoing the note, it does not replicate across all clips. This is the behavior I see here.

User avatar
KVRAF
7962 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:57 am

machinesworking wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:32 am
OK you're commenting like you've somehow gotten it to work outside of the video shown. Have you? or are you basing this off of perceived functionally? I've gotten this behavior to work exactly like shown in Xbitz's video, without using Alternative Copy, and only with Alt/Option dragging notes to duplicate like shown in the video.

Using the pencil tool does not replicate this behavior, it only makes notes in the clip you're currently in. Option/Alt dragging makes new notes in all copies of the clips you select. In fact Option/Alt dragging seems to be the only way, if you select without lassoing the note, it does not replicate across all clips. This is the behavior I see here.
This is just a fraction of required functionality. That's why I'm saying alias/linked clips are still needed. What's there might actually be a bug, because I can't understand why it even works for this isolated case.

Regarding pencil, I thought it was a general comment, not with regard to alias/linked clips. My bad.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Bitwig”