Bitwig Studio 1.2 BETA 10

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The main thing I want for the 1.2 browser is be able to set the device type/category of VSTs and tagging audio files.

I don't know why some people act like the 1.2 browser sucks when its basically 2nd to none in the daw industry. This thing blows Abletons browser out of the water and is competitive with Cubase and Logic browsing.

The browser is fast and easy when used as the designer intended, just like everything else in Bitwig. :tu:

dom@bitwig wrote: The intention of the popup browser is browsing in place, hotswapping the content.
is there a plan for dedicated per device based popup browsers which ones can store/restore(recall) their previous(opened) states (filter content / previously selected tab / minimized/maximized window etc.), as I see currently there is only one popup browser instance which always starts itself from maximized/Presets tab (or empty state using the plus sign/favorites using the plus + shift/right click)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Hey, maybe I'm overthinking it. I'll continue using it and see if I'm still missing that feature in a while.

The plan is to carefully evaluate workflows and improve the browsers where it makes sense.
I sketched out the main idea behind the two workflows of both browsers in this thread, which is more or less the base of them, so the side panel browser will most likely not become a hotswap browser and vice versa. But on top of that, there's a lot that can be fine tuned now:
Just like the change of being able to open the favourites directly, or the next change that will most likely be that if you start browsing for a second pad in the drum machine, you want to start where you left off browsing the first, etc.

Those things require a lot of thinking and evaluation to make them great, it is not as easy as just saying: hey, we want a prelisten function in there. f you read my earlier post in this thread this should become clear. Trying to solve it by just throwing features at it just clutters stuff up and kills workflows.

Cheers,
Dom

Dom... i already LOVE the thing! :hug:
I,m just to spoiled with all the goodies!
But the word fine tuning sounds like music in my ears!
(what already happend with remember sample location for example... )
And nice to hear how you guys think of things and how they would be fitted in in the most handy way.!
QUALITY TAKES TIME..... although 3/3 updates in a week? :D :tu: :clap:

Hi Dom, I'm one of those people who don't like the new popup browser... :wink: :D
I know I am in the minority here so I won,t bother making the same complaints over and over again. The new browser is what it is and most people seem to like it or at least have no problem with it. That's OK for me, as I don't have to use it if I don't want to.

However, is there a chance that the sidebar browser could stay unchanged? The separation of devices and presets that came with BETA 7 messed up my workflow big time - please consider merging those two tabs and let me have my old sidebar browser back. Pretty please? Maybe as a preference in the settings menu? I really liked it and was very comfortable with how it worked.

Redukt wrote:Hi Dom, I'm one of those people who don't like the new popup browser... :wink: :D
I know I am in the minority here so I won,t bother making the same complaints over and over again. The new browser is what it is and most people seem to like it or at least have no problem with it. That's OK for me, as I don't have to use it if I don't want to.

However, is there a chance that the sidebar browser could stay unchanged? The separation of devices and presets that came with BETA 7 messed up my workflow big time - please consider merging those two tabs and let me have my old sidebar browser back. Pretty please? Maybe as a preference in the settings menu? I really liked it and was very comfortable with how it worked.
I feel the same tbh.

an auto loop lock when a clip is created would be nice :)

Attention guys! Please check phase knob in the LFO (anywhere - Polysynth or LFO MOD or Sampler)! Thanks!

WXLF wrote:
dom@bitwig wrote: If you want to build a new drum machine kit by prelistening sounds and just drag and dropping them, the side panel browser is the steamlined workflow already.

If you want to change sounds in the drum machine, the popup browser is the streamlined workflow, just click through your popup browser results to replace them immediately instead of having to constantly drag and drop new samples from the side browser.
I have to say this makes sense to me.

My question for the people who want a preview in the pop up browser is...

Isn't the hot-swapping technically already a preview? You get to listen to the sample the way it would sound if it were following the MIDI pattern.
Agreed I like it the way it is. If I want to hear it in context. Pop up browser. Not in context side browser. Great! I have a generic drum machine setup as a preview with dummy sounds in it and then I just audition away while playing a pattern on the beatstep pro. We need to sort out the persistence though when bringing up the browser for a new sound and I think I stated the best logic for this a number of posts back.

Here:
owensands wrote:
codec17 wrote:
volker@bitwig wrote:Hello again,

FIXED - Remember state of popup browser when browsing for samples or multi samples for a sampler.

Cheers,
Volker
First thnx again! You poeple are on a roll!! :clap:
but as usuall ive got something to whine. . . sorry :oops:
Fantastic that it remember its state.(almost there.... here it comes........ :D )
-But? Wouldnt it be more usefull that when you put another sampler on another pad in the DM that it will search further where you left your search in the other sampler?
Because when i search a sound most of the time i know what im looking for so im 90% of the time im pretty convident that it stays there... Hope to see it in the future! :pray:
yes +1
actually better yet. If its an empty sampler it should use the last location but if it already has a sample it should open to the folder where that sample is.

+ the duplicated sampler should copy its popup "state" too :)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote:+ the duplicated sampler should copy its popup "state" too :)
ooooh yes! +1

dom@bitwig wrote:The plan is to carefully evaluate workflows and improve the browsers where it makes sense.
I sketched out the main idea behind the two workflows of both browsers in this thread, which is more or less the base of them, so the side panel browser will most likely not become a hotswap browser and vice versa. But on top of that, there's a lot that can be fine tuned now:
Just like the change of being able to open the favourites directly, or the next change that will most likely be that if you start browsing for a second pad in the drum machine, you want to start where you left off browsing the first, etc.

Those things require a lot of thinking and evaluation to make them great, it is not as easy as just saying: hey, we want a prelisten function in there. f you read my earlier post in this thread this should become clear. Trying to solve it by just throwing features at it just clutters stuff up and kills workflows.

Cheers,
Dom
Anyone want to give speculative odds that Bitwig will have it's own controller one day?

It makes sense to try and bring a better hardware experience to DAW and plugin control - a lot of the current options are very messy.

I'm sure it must be hard to work out the crossover point as well: what makes sense when hardware driven and what makes sense when using a mouse.

edit. nm I don't know
Last edited by Ogopogo on Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I know it worked .. But i dont use it that often...(so dont know in wich version this occurred)
As you can see , i want to select an audio track as a background track in a midi track, but i can only see two of them.? :help:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Bitwig”